so I was thinking about fighters as a special weapon

Any game you like to mod, come talk about it here!!

Moderators: Forum Administrator, Administrator

so I was thinking about fighters as a special weapon

Postby redsix » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:40 pm

and then it accoured to me... the drones special weapon already acts like fighters should, going out and attacking a target independently of the mothership... except instead of being full sized ships they are workerbees... essentially anyway... the damage is ajustable in the speacial weapons "gdrones.odf" and in the odf it specifies that the workbee, instead of the normal one be

//sod reference
workerBeeName = "drones"

not only are the drones just a single SOD file, which you could specify to be a fighters SOD... but in fact you can specify the number of fighters you want to use... so you could have different sized carriers with different strengths...

the only thing I haven't quite figured out, and this won't take long, is how to give the special weapon free to carriers... I think I just need to look at the enterprise E's special corbanite reflector and i'll figure that out...

so what do you think??? I'm going to try it now and see if it works... I've already played around with the drones themselves and they can be a very effective weapon... no true they could only attack one target at a time... but I might figure out a way to send them after multiple targets like some other special weapons do.... will report back later with updates...
redsix
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Postby USS_Nova » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:24 pm

Sounds interesting 8) Keep us updated :)
Its been a while.
USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Epytron_Omega » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:51 pm

does sound quiet interesting. I think I will try my hand at this with my A2, after all, I am a man that likes to see new things, and fighters is one of them... might even give me inspiration for Warzones, and Mech Warz... Maybe more.

EO
Life is what you make it.
Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby redsix » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:31 pm

it works to a point so far... it's going to take ALLOT of fine tuning to get these things to behave correctly and not instantly overwhelm the enemy starship... right now when you set the special weapon on auto the fighters go out and take out battleships in seconds, mind you only doing 40 damage points to a ship with 14000+ shields, sooo I need to do some testing... far more advanced ones than in normal amrada II also... + they seem to fly out at a 45 degree angle... and I have not found a way to scale the sod's yet... but all in good time... I thnk this will work well once I get the bugs fixxed... oh well... time to go work on the car... armada will have to wait...
redsix
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Postby Fireball » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:59 am

redsix wrote:it works to a point so far... it's going to take ALLOT of fine tuning to get these things to behave correctly and not instantly overwhelm the enemy starship... right now when you set the special weapon on auto the fighters go out and take out battleships in seconds, mind you only doing 40 damage points to a ship with 14000+ shields, sooo I need to do some testing... far more advanced ones than in normal amrada II also... + they seem to fly out at a 45 degree angle... and I have not found a way to scale the sod's yet... but all in good time... I thnk this will work well once I get the bugs fixxed... oh well... time to go work on the car... armada will have to wait...

I have already accomplished this in my mod, if you would like the odfs just ask. I have the shuttles from tos, they launch out and sorta chase the enemy. when they reach the enemy they create a formation (like the workerbees around a facality when its building) and fire phasers. 40 Damage might be a bit to much, I think I have mine set at one damage and it is very powerful.
Fireball
Ensign
Ensign

Postby redsix » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:42 pm

very cool... I saw a post about someone wanting fighters to work like a speacial weapon in the wishlist section and I figured it hadn't been done... but that would be neat to see what you've done... do you have to research them or do the ships get them automaticly, like a cloaking device???
redsix
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Postby Fireball » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:58 pm

depending on what you want, I have it so its automatic. It can be changed but im at the stage in my mod where i havent made research stations yet.
Fireball
Ensign
Ensign

Postby halo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:04 am

to answer your question the "once i get it to target multi targets?"
just add the line maxtargets = # (#amount of targets)
dont put it at more than 3 cause it has a tendencie to slow the game down abit
halo
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Twitch » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:10 am

Besides fighters, I like the idea of mechanized drones sent out to attack. Like construction worker bees as mechanical Pirahnas swarming a ship. Make it so!
The Borg will rock your world!
Twitch
Captain
Captain

Postby halo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:33 pm

make it so hehehe already have however im getting a life and dage sprite error as it flies out to atack the ship in question
maybe if i copy the sod and rename it and change the nodes (no idea how)
it would make it stop looking like its flying derelects
~only happens when you use a new sod like "drones" to "fscout"
halo
Ensign
Ensign

Postby draconis_sharp » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:52 pm

You should check out the Babylon 5 mod for A2 available from AFC. It already has a very similar fighter launch weapon which you could use as a base if you like.
draconis_sharp
Ensign
Ensign

Postby halo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:06 am

thanx man ill use it as a base all credit goes to the babylon 5 mod when it finished
ill send it to you if and when i get it done but im strung out little thin rite now so it might be acouple of days
halo
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Hardyous » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:08 am

i've had a go at this fighter lark, so far i'm chuffed with it but i've come accross the same problem as you, even adding scaleSOD into the weapon ODF didnt make the fighters any bigger, i did however manage to use a federation fighter i found in a pack of three from here on AFC for A1 and get some not bad results
Hardyous
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Postby halo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:37 pm

im not sure but there has to be a way to configure this weapn to alow the ships to be overwelllmed by this weapon firing in all diferent directions but not actualy hitting the fighters them selfs
halo
Ensign
Ensign

Return to General Modding Discussion