The Star Wars Vs Star Trek time!!!

This room is for pic or comments that might offend other & younger viewers. Making fun of companys or people is allowed as long as it not a member of this community. ENTER ROOM AT OWN RISK!!!! You have been warned.

Moderators: Forum Administrator, Administrator

The Star Wars Vs Star Trek time!!!

Postby MajorPayne » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:51 pm

Okay so we've all seen these arguements of who would win between specifically the Federation and the Galactic Empire so I thought I would ask the same question but with a minor twist.

Now this arguement seems to be steming from several facts:

Fact 1
Those people who tend to look upon the "canon factor" - ie Just how powerful is my weapon compared to yours?? and also those who give the specifications for the engines size of their ship!!

Fact 2
Those people who love to use the "super races" - (point in case: Vong vs 8472, or borg vs empire and such)

Fact 3
My personal favourite. Sites and such who attempt to use such things as analasis and formulae to explain how one side is better than the other (point in case here might be the power output of weapons, or shields)

Now may I draw everyones attention to THIS SITE as a matter of course and allow you a few moment just to have a laugh as I did.............

.......ahem!! Anyway, it seems that there is a growing amount of these kinds of sites and I thought I would share my personalised opinion.

TO QUOTE
"It is with mounting amusement I post this with regards to those who take these two science fiction (notice the key two words here), show/film selections that the characterisations, starships, fighters, places, and other noted materials, don't actually exist is todays society and as such these people who spend their spare time, money, patience and other such things, should put their spare time, to better usage. Perhaps they are the kind of people who sit alone in their tiny bedrooms whilst mummy is downstairs cooking tea, and attempt to glean a tiny existence sat in front of their pc, which is paid for by their daddies. There is no way your going to tell me that anyone with half a brain cell is going to believe or actually believe their useless drivel. Perhaps, and this is for those who are involved in such bull-shit, they should get something that us normal folk call "a life", and develope communication skills with a member of the oposite sex (and then maybe have some)."

Now to end this little, non interesting message, some may question my reason for posting this. Well to answer that its very simple. in fact so simple even a stuffed iguana could understand it (now all I need is for someone to ask "whats an iguana", and they'll receive the "Utter stupidity" award)......because I can!!

Anyone that feels free to add their voice please do. I'm sure the amusement can continue.

This has been a public announcement. Payne is my name, Pain is my nature :twisted:
MajorPayne
Forum Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Postby Porty » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:24 am

What's an Iguana?? :twisted:

LMFAO!!! :lol: :lol:

Very interesting post mate. Extremely valid points but don't you think you are maybe being a bit harsh on those individuals the Dont have a life?? :P
Porty
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Postby iOSYS » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:51 am

Yeah, I agree in many ways, some people do take these things waaay to seriously. But come on, these people get a kick out of it. I know it seems kinda pathetic, but If they derive enjoyment from... I dunnno... doing geeky calculations and watchin seasons of star trek over and over to find references to shield output, so be it. They arent hurting anyone.

I prefer to just not care about the trekkies, and warries(?) and other assorted geeks and stuff who simply enjoy existance, and decide to spend their life they way they choose too; as I do about the others who must not have anythign better to do then rant about them in forums. I must admit, sometimes I like to talk to people about who would win, stvssw, but its just fun. I don't throw my life away, and I don't see why it should be the topic of conversation on an rpg, modding, rpg and rpg forum.

But if you need to validate you're existance by bashing others, go right ahead :P
iOSYS
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Elrond » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:03 am

My take on that quote:

1. Everyone has opinions.
2. A person who posts something like that about people who are in front of their computers all the time would probably need to re-evaluate their own habits...
3. Everyone has their own interests and everyone has a choice...as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, how bad can it really be?
4. I do agree that everyone, and I mean everyone, would always benefit from at least a nominal amount of exposure to the outdoors. And a glass of water every hour or two is always beneficial.
5. Everyone must strive as much as they can to have a well-rounded existance. Having interest in doing nothing but Trek or Wars is not healthy. Everyone has to work, everyone has to eat and drink, everyone needs to get outside, etc. It is just healthier, plain and simple.
6. I would imagine that most people who are in to Trek and Wars don't just sit in their rooms all day. I couldn't imagine that. It's like being in your own little prison. But if someone does, that's their choice I guess, albeit an unhealthy one. :P
Rumors of my exaggeration have been greatly assimilated. Well what, wait, um...yeah.
Elrond
Commodore
Commodore

Postby MajorPayne » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:13 am

Elrond. I'm married therefore I have no life!!! :lol:
MajorPayne

Postby Elrond » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:40 am

MajorPayne wrote:Elrond. I'm married therefore I have no life!!! :lol:

LoL. I wouldn't tell her that. :lol: Hehe. :wink:
Rumors of my exaggeration have been greatly assimilated. Well what, wait, um...yeah.
Elrond
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Zered003 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:57 pm

From what I have seen, If someone likes ST or SW, it is not a bad thing. Before when people had nothing to do, the only way they could use thier imagination or creativity was to go outside and play. Now days we have computers and TV. I have noticed atleast with ST that anyone who likes it also has a healthy level of imagination and creativity. Anyone who likes SW likes the idea of good defeating evil and wether they realize it or not think there is always hope for someone (ie Darth Vader becoming good again and saving the day). Also most people who like the 2 shows would like to see the world be a better place.

Now I do admit some to tend to take it a bit far with scientific calculations on who would win. But can you image the level of intelect it takes to come up with those calculations? If someone spends thier teen years crunching numbers instead of drugs or truely mindless activities. Then I think there is hope for us yet. To often now days there are to many people that if you get into a discussion with them about anything that requires thought that you lose then when you say the first word.

I would go as far to say that most of us are here on this site b/c we are more creative and have a better imagination then most the people in the world. Some would say we only waste our time on a site like this. But they say that b/c they do not understand it.Nor, could they even get close to the level most of us here work and think at.

Now I will from time to time get into a debate over who might when. But I do it for fun and when I am bored with nothing else to do. Plus, I do it based on scientific fact. But truely come to realize noone could ever say who would win b/c they take place in different times. So, if it is done in fun. I see nothing wrong with it. Plus like I said before, some of the discussions on it are so indepth that the common person in todays world would never be able to comprehend that level of thought or intelect.

I believe that everyone is entitled to thier own opinion and the right to choose how they live thier life, and the right to choose the belief structure that supports thier actions. Where problems happen is when people decide they must force thier opinion on someone else. Which we are all guilty of at some point in our lives.

I think that covers everything I think on the subject. This is a fun subject. And it is good we can all laugh about it. As for me I have no life. I am to busy trying to be a good father to my kids and to influence them in a way that they can possitivly change the world. Let the fun continue.

:D :D :D
I enjoy the moments of peace and quite.
You know, when you dont think about anything.
I enjoy all 3 seconds of the day when that happens.
Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Postby Twitch » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:51 am

I always thought comparisons of bogus, fictional things was useless and silly. When I was a kid others would ponder who would win a fight pitting the few comic book super heros that existed at the time.Image

As a writer I know it's real easy to create whatever outrageous factor needed to make the Schmucks or whoever the most potent fantasy race in the universe. It's kinda like a farrting contest, huh?
Woo hoo indeed.............Image
The Borg will rock your world!
Twitch
Captain
Captain

Postby rodglas » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:00 pm

MaP, you know I respect you and the work you do. But I must say that I both don't agree with you on this subject but find the spirit of it somewhat offensive.

How people choose to spend there spare time isn't anyones business so long as they aren't hurting anyone. Did you ever consider that these kind of discussion might be enjoyable for the people who have them.

You don't have to enjoy them yourself but what does ragging on them all the time honestly prove.

Of course ST and SW or Stargate or Andromeda of Farscape don't truely exsist, but we all watch or wouldn't be here. We all spend too much time in front of our computers or we would't be here. So lets get over oursleves and just enjoy.

As for the link in the quote maybe he should look here
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/ everyone will see that for one Mike Wong of SD.Net not only has a life but also has a wife and family.
rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Postby INSANITY » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:36 pm

At the beginning of every Star Wars movie, it says "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." That means that the Empire, if it still existed, would be even more powerful. So it really doesn't matter. Cuz no matter what the Empire would just wipe out the Fed, Klingons or whoever else they fight. Or, they might be pacifists and just leave them alone.
INSANITY
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Postby Twitch » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:33 am

Or they might have decayed from within or blown themselves up in civil conflicts.
The Borg will rock your world!
Twitch
Captain
Captain

Postby MajorPayne » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:17 pm

rodglas wrote:MaP, you know I respect you and the work you do. But I must say that I both don't agree with you on this subject but find the spirit of it somewhat offensive.

How people choose to spend there spare time isn't anyones business so long as they aren't hurting anyone. Did you ever consider that these kind of discussion might be enjoyable for the people who have them.

You don't have to enjoy them yourself but what does ragging on them all the time honestly prove.

Of course ST and SW or Stargate or Andromeda of Farscape don't truely exsist, but we all watch or wouldn't be here. We all spend too much time in front of our computers or we would't be here. So lets get over oursleves and just enjoy.

As for the link in the quote maybe he should look here
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/ everyone will see that for one Mike Wong of SD.Net not only has a life but also has a wife and family.

Rodglas. Hmmmm, whilst you do have a valid point or two, you also fail to realise the amount of arguements that these sorts of websites have brought up. Aside from this it also creates individuals who are blinded by there inept capability to understand that this is all SCIENCE FICTION, and not SCIENCE FACT. How many times have you gone onto a trek based forum and see people who religiously follow star wars only to become banned because of arguements and trouble making (and the same is quite true in reverse). I've even had people moan at me about others who dont' share their views on a particular statement made about one or the other.

As for my "ragging" on someone (and I do wish people would stop using slang when directing a statement directly towards me). Considering the nature of this forum and seeing as I'm not hurting anyone by directly casting my views on the matter (and as long as flaming doesnt' happen because of it), then I dont' see myself as breaking forum protocol. Do you??
MajorPayne

Postby Zered003 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:46 pm

As long as people can understand that it is only science fiction and not science fact AND have the understanding that everyone has and is entitled to thier own opinion. Then I don't see any problems with the discussions.

And as long as people continue with the above understanding then I would not think there would be any "flaming" and thus no forum rules would be broken. As long as they did not post it in the wrong forum. LOL :lol:
Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Postby cecilzero1 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:45 am

beileve me i know when a rule has been broken......>.> do i need to give my usual rant and raving??
cecilzero1
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Postby Zered003 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:54 am

Oh, I would not dare argue with an admin about if rules have been broken or not. That is not my place. All of you Admins do a great job on this site and that is one of the reasons I still come here. I just thought I would put my 2 cents worth in on this subject but I think it is known by the admins that I don't want to cause any trouble.
Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Next

Return to Offensive Material/Ballbusting