The serious, or perhaps not so serious Mod debate......

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: Forum Administrator, Administrator

The serious, or perhaps not so serious Mod debate......

Postby MajorPayne » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:35 pm

Hi all. Now with the fact that Armada has all but died it seems that there is but a handful of modding crews and groups that are still active. Therefore, I open the floor for people to have their say in what they think is the good, the bad and the downright ugly when it comes to those that have been released and those that are in the making.

Now a couple of things to remember.

1) Views that people have in this debate are their own and bare no actual view of the general populance.
2) I want no bullshit. This includes flame wars of any kind. Minor arguements are allowed, but just remember the rules people.

I'll post my own views at a later time, but please people. Have some fun with this, and don't be to worried about posting your honest opinion. Even if someone says that my own mods are a bunch of horse shoot I won't react with hostility or ban anyone for it.
MajorPayne
Forum Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Forum Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Postby cecilzero1 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:49 pm

the worse game i ever played on A2 was Fleet ops *shudders* reasons why:

1: laggy as hell

2: high polie count

3: ugly textures

i mean come on who needs shuttles circling the shipyard?? thats just gonna add more lag and the textures SUCK come on people even newbies can make better textures than that and on the high polie count have new Technology is NO EXCUSE remember computers are expensive people cant afford high graphics cards ....... i mean u can have the same results with a lower polie counts

besides with the way u guys install the game and some info i got a year ago the game will never get caught being installed on my computer

EDIT come on people i want a debate here lol get cracking :P
cecilzero1
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Postby Twitch » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:08 pm

Mods in general? Even full change mods, I strip out the stuff I like and use it in MY version which probably only I like. Done some added races like the Ferengi add which was fine but a couple others were way too complicated and had issues. Bottom line remains- I mod the mod and use only the parts I like.

It got to be a sick joke for a while when every jamoke and stumble bum est of Jersey was making a big time mod instead of just a cool ship or two. How often did I read on a forum "I'm new to modding but want to make this or that full mod so who can help me?" Gimme a break!

So individual stuff is welcome- ships, stations weapons, etc. but huge changeover stuff isn't needed or wanted any more.

The Borg will rock your world!
Twitch
Captain
Captain

Postby CaptSyf » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:38 pm

I liked the concept of the SW vs ST mod (A1), But I felt it was poorly executed. Oh and Yes, for A2, FO was a flop in my book. There are some great parts to these mods, but mostly junk.

The better of mods are MaP's borg Incursion, in my opinion.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...
CaptSyf
Captain
Captain

Postby draconis_sharp » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:09 pm

I think mods like Star Wars Fleet Command are ok as far as TCs go. Basically, mods that change the game from star trek to anything else are always refreshing and usually add at least a few hours more of enjoyment.
draconis_sharp
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Numbazix » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:46 pm

Anything that makes the game alittle more interesting if just fine by me. Most of the TC's don't appeal to me. I've tried them and some are better than others, but they rarely make it a week on my machine before I replace them.

The main thing is what is interesting. To me it's new ships and a few weapons. To tell you the truth the longest lasting mod on my machine has been KaBoom's Expansion Pack.

As far as modding goes, the 3 I'm planning on doing may be the last ones for me. Might not even get all of them done. I guess it matters only to me. As far as help goes.....well if I ever need a planet I know where to go :twisted: . Pretty much most everything is out there and I've only heard a few original ideas in the last couple of years...So, what?

If you want to do something--as they say, whoever they are--just do it. Who gives a damn what anyone says.
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?
Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby cecilzero1 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:29 am

come on guys no mods to debate on?
cecilzero1
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Postby DOCaCola » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:19 am

cecilzero1 wrote:the worse game i ever played on A2 was Fleet ops *shudders* reasons why:

1: laggy as hell

2: high polie count

3: ugly textures

i mean come on who needs shuttles circling the shipyard?? thats just gonna add more lag and the textures SUCK come on people even newbies can make better textures than that and on the high polie count have new Technology is NO EXCUSE remember computers are expensive people cant afford high graphics cards ....... i mean u can have the same results with a lower polie counts

Yes, we developed Fleet Operations for newer computers although you don't need a high end computer. Computers have evolved 4 years since the developers of armada 2 defined new graphics based on a now over 5 year old engine. Yes, don't expect Fleet Operations to run without lag on what was minimum system requirements for armada 2 back 4 years ago. Maybe you want to check out this thread (click me ;)).
About the textures - that is your personal opinion and i have no problem with personal opinions at all, if you like you can come to the fleetops forums and post a small thread founded on arguments why fleet operations textures are so ugly and what we can do better about them i'd be very happy :D

besides with the way u guys install the game and some info i got a year ago the game will never get caught being installed on my computer

no worries, the uninstaller works quite well afterwards :D is it just that you don't like armada 2 doesn't need to be preinstalled anymore but you are still required to insert a cd? what info? are there any secrets about fleet operations i don't have heard about? ;)

other than that i am still hoping for an armada 3 or something similar on star trek basis that has the same modding ability (or better) as armada 1/2 has. the armada community has made some great mods till today, i don't have played many but though there isn't much going on with armada modding todays there are still great mods laying on fileservers that only a few remember and only are not played anymore because they are forgotten because they are dated like 2002. i don't know but why don't you make a site on afc with all these old jewels listed?
DOCaCola
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Postby Zered003 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:09 pm

I liked the ST vs SW MOD. But my personal favorite was a personal MOD of CaptSyF. We could truely test the limitations of the computers we were using b/c the game had no limitation on number of ships that could be built. It was fun to see how large of a fleet I could build without crashing my system. It is also how I tested my machine to see when I needed to upgrade it. lol. I had that MOD until Fetalmonkey installed another MOD over it and I had to erase it b/c it would no longer work. :(
I enjoy the moments of peace and quite.
You know, when you dont think about anything.
I enjoy all 3 seconds of the day when that happens.
Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Postby that_guy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:44 pm

Personnally I agree with cecilzero1 on Fleet Ops. I just didn't like the game play as much as the original A2, but I will admit that the detail was impressive, but I think it's a bit excessive for gaming puposes (Probably good if you were planning on making a short movie in the game)

My favorite at this point is the Concept Future mod. I'm not sure if all the parts to it have come out yet, but the Fed section enjoys a nice home on my computer. Being able to build the Prometheus, and Intrepid with armor, was something I had been dreaming for for a long time. My only complaint about it was a seeming glitch that prevents the Intrepid-class from being repaired.
That Guy
that_guy
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Postby jolt » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:51 pm

I didn't know this thread existed...so, here goes:

+
I really like the Xtreme mod and Achilles Alliances mods for Armada 1. For some bizarre reason I was never quick enough with that game but I really did enjoy them, they made the game a heck of a lot better than it was. Additionally, the Ai in Alliances gave me a nasty surprise, that's definitely a keeper, or atleast till Future Tense comes out.

Additionally for A1, the KA totcal conversion was really lovely. However it had a few too amny bugs in it and killed too often, but it was nice to see some good ol' KA ships in action again.

Moving onto A2, I kept the B5 mod for a LONG time, well, until my computer caught a virus, and that was about 6 months. Concept Future did well too but that had a few glitches in it, some that I've got teh ability to repair now, but not really worth it. Still, some designs brought up are very nice and it was quite refreshing.

Ghost's Compilation mod was truly superb. It boasted soem good things about armada. Antoher is the BI series. WOW! I know there were some bugs in 2 but when it didn't crash, it was extremely fun to play and it stayed on my comptuer just a bit longer than B5.

-
I've played very few "bad" mods...infact, I think it really has been only 1 and that was FO. It was far too laggy and then the statistics used in evaulating the weapon strengths I thought was a bit ridiculous. You jsut go and shoot some guns "pow pow" and enjoy the game, this slowed it down.

My idea of "Armada" is that you have an Armada, not about 10 ships each there for different purposes. I want 100+ ships taking on a Cube and some surviving and some not. I want little station building, just pure ridiculous fire power against an opponents pure ridiculous fire power :D
Engage!

"A2 Files Site Admin...darn proud of it too!"
jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Achilles » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:35 pm

Kleotol's Xtreme mod, I mean it was a very early mod and he went all out. It was one of the first mods I installed, I was busy building 1 of each ship to see the cool specials when I noticed 10% of the map was an enemy fleet hell bent on my destruction. It first got me into modding and I was helped to learn by Kleotol himself, how's that for an honour :P

STvSW was ok except for Armadas limitations. Pathing problems were a git and all you had to do was build one of those SSD things and game was yours...

Good old Borg Incursion, showed me the beauty of longer lasting battles and more cannon style of play, I promptly started to add uber specials of course :p
Achilles
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby FirestormTen » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:31 pm

Ok, the modding community has seen good mods, and has seen the bad mod's. But what is REALLY missing is a few good race modifications OTHER than the famous. (Federation for instance, though it wouldnt hurt to expand into Section 31, or temporal :D) Come on! the federation is old! VERY few Awsome addons have been released for federation recently. How about expanding into Species 8471 Like MaP and Yaz (Cant figure name out, did A3 8472 Concept.) have done.

8472 was brought into the fray for one reason.

DOMINATION.

The weak shail perish.

Good night.
FirestormTen
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Postby kips » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:01 am

Me I like kitbashing other peoples Mods since I don't have photoshop or Milkshape all I can do is is fiddle around with other peoples ships like Terradynes "Soulwolf class" ship a true marvelle I like the shape and texture. 8)

In trems of Addon's I like the dominion Mod.
Ok I had to adjust a little to get the whole AI thing working but after a little time and patience it works just fine.
life is life and death well thats a pain in the neck.

Fighting member of the Four Star Alliance.
It has begun...
kips
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Neil » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:52 am

For quite some time on my old computer before we ran out of HD space (yes it really is that old!) I would play either the MP 1.9SE or B5 Armada. SW vs ST didn't really last long, mainly because some ships such as the SSD were too big for the screen. B5 lasted a while and was only removed because I love campaign mode and it didn't fit in too well with it.

All in all my favourite that I've played of those 3 is the MP 1.9SE, however it has been heavily modified to support my own personal preference. What I mean by that is that the Designers' own personal non-canon ships were pulled out and either replaced by canon ones or just simply removed. I also added in a couple of other ships to it, so it's been a bit cannibalised.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man. Let history make it's own judgements." - Zefram Cochrane
Neil
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Next

Return to Debates