Star Trek mod for Empire At War.

Any game you like to mod, come talk about it here!!

Moderators: Forum Administrator, Administrator

Star Trek mod for Empire At War.

Postby MajorPayne » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:03 am

I'm proposing a suggestion to the community. In a few weeks fromt his posting Star Wars: Empire At War is due to be released (the demo is already out). Now once the model format is worked out, I plan to attempt to add in a new unit or two as a means to experiment. There is some things I've managed to figure out quite alot but I think I would prefer a smallish team to do this job. The basic premise for the mod is to introduce the dominion war to the game in its entirety. Basically the Rebel side would be replaced by the Federation/Klingon/Romulan Alliance and the Imperial side would be replaced by Dominion/Cardassian/Breen Alliance. The mod will feature as accurate ships as possible and the good news is, XML is the programming language thats needed and the files are very easy to follow.

Proposed title for the mod is "Star Trek: Battle for the Alpha Quadrant".

Now what I would like for others are all sorts of suggestions, baring in mind a couple of things:

1) Its not currently know the full capabilities of the complete game so any suggestions are welcome.
2) Shiplists and alternative titles, this includes possible hero's as there is a command in the unique shiplist which allows a single hero ship to be constructed.
MajorPayne
Forum Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Forum Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Postby CptBenSisko » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:55 pm

Sounds interesting...and also..since the game features ground battles as well...some one could possibly create new models for federation marines, klingon warriors, jem'hadar soldiers, etc....we could also work out designs for new starfleet ground vehicles, as well as dominion ground assault tanks....should be a very interesting thing to see...
Captain Benjamin Sisko of the U.S.S. Defiant
CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Postby jolt » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:46 pm

Well, there's always the vehicles from New Worlds? They're hardly fantastic, but they can be used as a base. Nice idea though!
Engage!

"A2 Files Site Admin...darn proud of it too!"
jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Epytron_Omega » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:12 pm

MaP, after our talk last night, looking at the files, and toying with them a bit (My Cap Ships are tougher now, and so are theirs :P ) Im in on this project, just tell me what you need.

EO
Life is what you make it.
Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Cylon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:52 pm

EAW will be good for a star trek mod
especialy with the fighters from ds9 and the heros
Cylon
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Zman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:00 pm

Well, this is what I wouldn't mind seeing...

Heros:
FED/KLI/ROM
Enterprise E
Defiant (NX,NCC or both)
Venture(Admiral Ross's ship)
Rotoran(Martok's BoP I think?)
Martok's Negh'Var
the K'tinga that Worf was stationed on(I forget the name)
Romulan Admirals Warbird
Shinzon's ship(not the scimitar but some Reman assualt ship of some kind)

CAR/DOM/BR
Special Breen frigate(possibly the 1 from A1)
Dukat's Galor
Obsidian Order Keldon
Wayuons(spell) Warship
Dominion Battleship(it looks like the dreadnaught but its smaller and the size of 2 Galaxys (Episode-"Valient")

any other Hero/Villian ships from A1, A2, SFC3, and BC

SHIPS:
ALPHA QUAD. ALL.
Akira
Ambassador
Centaur
Challenger
Cheyenne
Danube(both versions)
Defiant
Excelsior & Refit(Lakota)
Maquis Raider
Freedom
Galaxy & Refit
Griffin(Fed not Rom)
Intrepid
Miranda Refit, varient 1 & 2
basic Nebula & ?SWAC? version
New Orleans
Niagra
Norway
Peregrine
Rigel
Saber
Shelley
Sovereign(not refit)
Steamrunner
Shuttle(Type 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 18 )
Trident
Yeager
B'rel
BoP
D'tai/Kavort
K'pak
K't'inga
Negh'var
Vor'cha
D'deridex
Scout
Science Ship
Shuttle

anything else pre-Nemisis

DOMINION ALL.
Hideki
Galor
Keldon
Dreadnought(missle)
Breen Frigate
Attack Ship
Battleship
Battlecruiser
Dreadnought

any other ships
My Games:
NR2K3(750+ tracks;5000+ cars)
ST:BC(latest KM-custom) ST:Legacy(custom)
ST:Armada(custom) ST:Armada2(custom)
ST:FO(latest version)
SW:EAW(custom) SW:FOC(custom)
TF2: Name - 086gf
Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Postby JEDI3112 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:04 am

You have an awfull lot of ships there, I don't even know if there are enough slots for all the buttons. I also suggest you split things up, but I don't know to what extend that's possible. However on LF somebody posted that somebody else already has added a race for the demo. I don't know wich mod this is though, my best guess is that it's the warlord mod featuring Zaarin.

You may also want to make alter the planets to resemble the ones in ST, though I suspect there is a map editor/map maker in/with the full game. Other things to consider are the planets that produce big ships. As well as the question whether or not we can produce certain ships at only one planet. Currently you have

Kuat
Fondor
Sollust
Mon Calamari

To produce your big ships, now what I'd like to do in this example is to make Mon Calamari not produce ISDs and Kuat not produce MC cruisers. Also both Kashyyk and Geonosis are required to build the Deathstar. Maybe there is something we can do with these planets. Also the planetary bonus is to be considered, though I think that will not be much of a problem for the major planets.

Things I had in mind are:
Remus, double mining income on all planets, also builds big ships
Utopia Planetia, build big ships, discount for Federation Sovereign in the entire galaxy.

BTW there's also a STvsSW modd planned for EAW. I have made some suggetions there as well as others. Anyway, here's the link

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=152017

The biggest problem will probably be the design of ground vehicles
Join me and together we will mod the universe.
JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Postby Cylon » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:33 am

what about the galatic view are going to just do the alpha quaderent of the whole wilky way cos then u could add the borg in (i think u can have more than 2 races) and give them some kind of AI that stays in the delta quadrent so if u want u can attack them but the main focus is on the dominion war.
Cylon
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Epytron_Omega » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:11 pm

well for the galactic map, what you could do is set up 'trade routes' say from the bajor sector to the Gamma Quadrant, and have different routes in each quadrant for faster ship transfer. I dont know about limiting an AI, but Im definitly sure its possible, I mean this game is extremely easy to mod... I just recently helped out CptBenSisko in making his fighters smaller, his ISDs stronger, and a few other minor tweeks.

EO
Life is what you make it.
Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Cylon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:46 am

is it easyer to mod than armada 2?
Cylon
Ensign
Ensign

Postby ryan1 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:49 am

well I wouldn't say easier as a two year old could a2 but it is very easy to mod. The problem is that as the game is new there is no model converter yet and stuff like that :(

The textures can be got at as they are the same format as the total war games (i think) and already have a photoshop converter.

As for the coding files they are xml code which any text editor can work and although they are structured very differently to the a2 odf files they are easy to understand after a while of blankly staring at them.
ryan1
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Postby JEDI3112 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:54 am

The major difficulty lies in getting used to the new files. It may be a bit of a setback because you can't really use your Armada modding knowledge untill later on (and I'm not even sure you can use your knowledge at all because of the differences). Still, if you haven't modded any game so far (so you haven't been 'corrupted' by other layouts codes etc.), I think it's as easy to learn to mod Armada as it is to learn to mod EAW. Switchers from Armada to EAW might have a bit of a hard time and vice versa.
JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Postby ryan1 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:58 pm

I disagree, I find that my knowledge of modding armada and other games allows me to find pattens in the code and in the general stucture of the game. Of course we have to break some habites but it isn't as difficult as you would imagine.
ryan1
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Postby JEDI3112 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:08 am

I was talking about those guys that ONLY have programming experience with Armada. I also shouldn't have many problems because my previous study had quite some programming in it. Though I believe it is quite hard to get from your first game to your second game (well, not A1 to A2, but you know what I mean). If you no longer get used to SPECIFIC codes it isn't hard to switch. Though a guide (such as the big book of modding for Armada) generally helps a lot.
JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Return to General Modding Discussion