Ultimate Editor

Ultimate Editor; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

adi
Commander
Commander

Re: Ultimate Editor

Post by adi »

Also i found out that there is a population limit for generating systems: "once system max pop is 400 do not add any more planets"; is it possible to make that editable from UE?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

DCER has been inactive since June 27, also UE rarely is edited for this type of adjustments.

So I suggest you learn some basic hex editing and adjust the required values within the trek.exe.

as to the max ship cost, this is a limit of the shiplist.sst format and how the trek.exe reads values so no this can not be change though UE (might be able to be changed via major code change but would not be easy even for an expert).

thunderchero
Tachyonfang
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

UE-Looking for a new tool

Post by Tachyonfang »

Hello all!
I wanted to know if the maker(s) of UE (or at least those who are more understanding of it than I am) would be able to help me out with something. I am trying to make a "game editor" tool for UE. The idea being to streamline the necessary process of editing system information in a saved game. Currently, I have tested a couple of different ideas, and what I have come up with so far is this:
1) Open UE
2) Open saved game file
3) Pick the defining characteristic of the systems you want to edit: For example, you want to edit all systems that are currently Federation, or Romulan, or have at least 2 Terran planets, or that do not have asteroids, or whatever it is that all of these systems have in common.
4) Set up the rest: By which I mean, the user defines the remainder of the systems' attributes, including stars, planets, dilithium, population/max population, buildings, fleet centers/starbases, etc.
5) Run the tool: The tool then opens the desired saved game and examines each system. Those systems that fit the defined characteristic(s) are then edited so that their other attributes match the rest as well.
This would save a lot of time for those of us who are trying to test game mods-you could advance a game to a point where the attribute you are trying to test can be tested, well, immediately. I mean, lets face it, editing systems 1 at a time begins to take a while when you are trying to set up a 5-empire, evenly-split universe. This way, you have to edit only 1 system, and the program does what computer programs have always done really well-it just lather, rinses, and repeats.
Would anyone be able to help me with this? Let me know!
Thanks for all the help!
--Tachyonfang
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Tachyonfang,

tbh with all the problems still with editing saved games I am surprised that editing of saved games has not been removed from UE. I would say on average 3 out of 4 changes will cause a crash or some type of error later in the game.

If this is purely for testing than I suggest create a backup of res and trek (in a safe folder) then edit needed files before you even start the game. But as for a tool for these changes I would guess you would be only one to use it.

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Tachyofang, all you need is documented in the botf-wiki or UE source code.
And on that way you might also fix some of the bugs tc talked of. ;)
Can't tell you much on the sourcecode of UE, but am sure DCER would be happy for your offer, so try contact him!

BTW, I'd not just let the algorithm search for similarities but already show systems that fit during specification of the parameters. Think that would be more appropriate.

cheers and good go
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

not sure if this has been posted before i just thought id put my peice to it. I have encounted an interface glitch with ship name lengths. The first pic shows ue ship editor screen. i have selected a ship. all is normal. The second picture shows an interface "squash-up" when i select the vulcan combat cruiser III (the same happens with vulcan combat cruiser and vulcan combat cruiser II.

Is this a known glitch. im not too worried about it but i would like to know if it effects the game itself?

IMAGE 1

IMAGE 2

Thank you for your time.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I have seen this before, but I think it was in AI build requirements.

not sure why it happened or what fixed it.

1. what version of UE are you using?

2. when scrolling (using arrow buttons of keyboard) does it give any exceptions?

3. if you need a quicker response you may need to send DCER a PM.

thunderchero
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

thunderchero wrote:I have seen this before, but I think it was in AI build requirements.

2. when scrolling (using arrow buttons of keyboard) does it give any exceptions?

thunderchero
1/ I am using v0.7.2dev5c.
2/ While using the arrow keys to scroll up and down the list over the vulcan combat cruiser entries i recieve no exceptions or errors.
3/ No rush, but i thought that if it is a bug it should be reported. Theres obviously years of developement but into UE. i believe it is proper to report any bugs out of respect to the creators.
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

jonesie85two wrote:
thunderchero wrote:I have seen this before, but I think it was in AI build requirements.

thunderchero
1/ I am using v0.7.2dev5c.
2/ While using the arrow keys to scroll up and down the list over the vulcan combat cruiser entries i recieve no exceptions or errors.
3/ No rush, but i thought that if it is a bug it should be reported. Theres obviously years of developement but into UE. i believe it is proper to report any bugs out of respect to the creators.
It seems rather simple but if you increase the window size the ship list expands to its ordinary size.
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

What does the towable option for ships speed means?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

adi wrote:What does the towable option for ships speed means?
First the AI will not use this option so it will unbalance game.

basically this will give the ship a speed of 0, but if the ship is part of a fleet it will be able to go the speed of the slowest ship.

thunderchero
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

Thanks for your reply, TC!

Haha, so you could tow a starbase :twisted:

I am kinda already using that but with anjel's Vesta class that has a -1 speed; sometimes i use it to ferry TTs across the map.

I guess you could use that for a fighter class; I've seen them in a mod but they were able to move by themselves.
joshua75
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by joshua75 »

Hello,

First of all, great mod, especially Ultimate dominion large.

Took me some time to figure out how to get the version windowed (install mpr++ in the game folder).

Now I am using UE to change map sizes... worked great previously. Now when I do it, the map in the game does not fill the "map screen", in other words the map is a smaller map with a "void" in between the map screen and the outer edge of the galaxy map.

Where am I going wrong"

Regards, Josh
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi joshua75,

either you are trying to make a strange size map, or you have applied 1024 patch before making changes. UE will not adjust for new screen size of 1024.

thunderchero
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

joshua75 wrote:Hello,

First of all, great mod, especially Ultimate dominion large.

Took me some time to figure out how to get the version windowed (install mpr++ in the game folder).

Now I am using UE to change map sizes... worked great previously. Now when I do it, the map in the game does not fill the "map screen", in other words the map is a smaller map with a "void" in between the map screen and the outer edge of the galaxy map.

Where am I going wrong"

Regards, Josh
https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf ... ial-for-ue This is a link to the tutorial on how to edit map sizes. You should note that not all galaxy types are supposed to fill the entire map. Eg: Spiral and ring galaxies centre in the middle and span outword. I have tried experimenting with the spiral galaxy shape on large maps (52x39) and the best i can get is a circle with voids either side.

Return to “Ultimate Editor”