Ultimate Editor - Invalid File Message

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Ultimate Editor - Invalid File Message

Post by cleverwise »

Hi community,

I have long been a BOTF fan - got it when it was originally released. Anyway I decided to blow the dust off the CD-ROM and reinstall it on an old XP laptop. However this brings me to my problem. I have always tried to play pure with no cheats as I have enjoyed just the vanilla play. However many of the cheats do look interesting and I will probably give them a go at some point.

So I get my empire on sound footing and things are rocking along and the frakking Borg show up. Game over. They always just mow over my forces as it is like they have million hit points. I know I know they don't really but it has always been game over. So that brings me to point of this thread.

I downloaded the Ultimate Editor, latest version at the time of this posting, from 4shared and gave it try to see if I could edit the Borq shields and hit points to like -100,000, well 1 and 1. I just don't want to deal with them but still like random events on. I am able to run UE but every time I try and open trek.exe or stbofs.res the software says missing trek.exe or invalid file.

I installed BOTF from the original disc and using Alcohol 120 have the disc in an .iso virtual drive mount for CD-ROM free playing. However I am wondering if I must first install a patch or something to use UE. Thus I am reaching out to the community on this issue as I couldn't find an answer in the FAQ's and I have run a few queries against the forum but no go.

Thank you for your assistance!

LL&P

Jeremy
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Ultimate Editor - Invalid File Message

Post by thunderchero »

cleverwise wrote:However I am wondering if I must first install a patch or something to use UE.
yes, UE is based off of version 1.0.2 I am sure your cd is only 1.0.1 at best.

but before you go get the patch (jokers patch) I suggest you uninstall everything and just install the multi installer.

The multi installer is a full version of the game with all patches and no cd patch. Plus multi installer will allow multiple installs of mods plus vanilla without all the file swapping like before.

thunderchero
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Re: Ultimate Editor - Invalid File Message

Post by cleverwise »

Thank you Thunderhero! I really do appreciate it. :-)

I figured it had to be something like a missing patch but wasn't sure what exactly needed to be installed. It is unfortunate the instructions and FAQ's don't set min specs as it sounds like the original game files will work with the editor.

Anyway I will install 1.0.2 shortly and port my saved games over. It is so "hard" copying those saved game files. ;-)

Thanks again for your valuable assistance and Trek on.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”