Borg mods

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Viktor
Ensign
Ensign

Borg mods

Post by Viktor »

I am aware of the dangers on using UE to modify my save files. I have since been finding ways to stop this since I would actually like to complete a game without it crashing. I have solved every problem but one...the Borg. I have gotten this bee in bonnet about establishing contact with every single race in the game and building their special buildings. I can get a thirty minor power game no problem (All Ages Mod has 30 races instead of 29). I cannot stop the Borg from assimilating some of these powers before I meet them. Now don't get me wrong...I like the fact the Borg are there...fighting them off with a fleet of ships has a real Wolf 359 feel to it that makes me smile. I just want them to leave the minor races alone.

Which is possibly why this next part is going to sound suicidal. Is there a way to make the Borg A) not appear even with random events left on; or B) pick on the empire I am playing exclusively (see what I mean about suicidal)?

Incidentally, while I'm on the subject. I see a lot of people talking about getting BOTF to do some very cool things and I want to get BOTF to do my own cool things. However I must confess my experience in this area is somewhat lacking. I was wondering if there is anyone who is willing to direct me in the modding process. I already have UE and...what's it called...BtoF Patcher...I wish to move beyond that. I am particularly interested in the hexidecimal codes you guys are trading back and forth. Where might I find them?

Thank You.
Viktor
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Borg mods

Post by Viktor »

Viktor wrote:I am aware of the dangers on using UE to modify my save files. I have since been finding ways to stop this since I would actually like to complete a game without it crashing.
I mean I have stopped modifying my save files.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

you can simply turn the borg off by adding BORG=OFF in your stbof.ini ;)
making them target your systems exclusively would require code changes, and analysing/coding on the game takes time and often is not so easy
a start is to get a hex editor like HxD and a disassembler like IDA and learn some how to use it, then refer the structured modding index by sct and get latest ida database by QD
with patch tool I think already come alot coded patches, and QD and TC keep adding more and it helps reducing work to not apply hex code changes manually and keep better track on it
Viktor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Viktor »

Flocke wrote:you can simply turn the borg off by adding BORG=OFF in your stbof.ini ;)
If it's in text or XML, that I can do. I find it the BotF folder in my C:> drive? Does it need to be on a specific line?
Viktor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Viktor »

This s very odd...if I read this right, it's already set to Borg=OFF.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

In the Vanilla version 1.0.2 I just edited the Borg specs using UE so the Borg are weak and can be defeated by even a science vessel. I like random events on but really for Vanilla play don't want to deal with them.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

each mod has it's own install path including a stbof.ini file
BORG=OFF should deactive the borg to spawn, however if there are some already they won't vanish
I guess you just checked the wrong file Viktor
Viktor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Viktor »

That's what I'm guessing......
Viktor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Viktor »

Flocke wrote:each mod has it's own install path including a stbof.ini file
BORG=OFF should deactive the borg to spawn, however if there are some already they won't vanish
I guess you just checked the wrong file Viktor

I've noticed two files by that name. One can be opened in notepad; the other seems to need a compiler (which incidentally I can use, C++). Have had one in while. Know where I can get one?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Viktor wrote:I've noticed two files by that name. One can be opened in notepad; the other seems to need a compiler (which incidentally I can use, C++). Have had one in while. Know where I can get one?
guess you are reffewring stbof.res, that's the compressed botf resources you can open with UE
no I meant each mod installs to it's own folder and each of these you find the ini file ;)
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

you could also go into control panel and in "folder options" select the view tab and uncheck the line for "hide extensions of known file types" this way windows will display stbof.ini instead of stbof

thunderchero

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”