Why are my ships not firing torpedoes?

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
adi
Commander
Commander

Why are my ships not firing torpedoes?

Post by adi »

This was in UDM3.0.1dc.
I have been experimenting with changing ships stats: mainly more shields, less hull, more firepower, but less accuracy.
I was playing Romulans, was at tech level 4 more or less, fighting against the Dominion which i can estimate were at tech level 6 more or less.
I had 6 Warbirds against 3 of their lvl2 destroyers and 3 strike cruisers. My warbirds would not fire torpedoes and they weren't doing much damage with the distruptors either. Couldn't even take down one of their destroyers which had about half the shields/hull and since upgraded about the same firepower as one of my Warbirds.
Anyone knows for sure why they would not fire torpedoes?
I checked the obvious and it was not because of the range.
Does weapon tech influence this? I was a couple of tech levels below the enemy.
Also by looking at the stats i think my ships attack(accuracy) was on par or below the enemy defense rating; would that make the ships not fire torpedoes since they would miss anyway?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Why are my ships not firing torpedoes?

Post by thunderchero »

first you should confirm combat distance and ranges, use mudd to get tevent.txt (F11 must be active) keep in mind min range is just as important as max range.

the tevent log will have data like this;

USS Lantree A fires beam on RNS Transport F at range: 1013.49
adi wrote:more firepower, but less accuracy
this could also be your problem you might be tricking battle calculations into thinking your phasers will destroy your enemy. but since accuracy is so low you miss more. for longer battle I would do it the other way more accuracy less fire power stronger shields and hull.

thunderchero
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

Checked the range again, it was ok.
The issue was with the weapons accuracy vs ship defense. Once I made sure the accuracy was bigger than the defense they were firing.
My intention was to keep low tech ships still kind-off relevant at late game so i increased defense for low tech vessels. But did not changed accuracy accordingly. And in some cases accuracy was too low.
I am now using your suggestion of increasing accuracy to make sure any ship's accuracy is better than any ships defense. This approach works for me now, so thanks again
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

A side effect of my changes: i went probably a bit too far with increasing all ships weapon accuracy and lowering their defense; the effect is that pretty much any ship will hit most of the times on any other ship, which is what i wanted - keeping the lower tech ships relevant even in the end game.

The added benefit is that with the weapons not missing that much, more ships die in battles; so i noticed a decrease in turn lag; by turn 150 on the extra large galaxy things would have slowed down significantly. Now it seems to me that does not happen that much.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”