Where do I put this...?

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Viktor
Ensign
Ensign

Where do I put this...?

Post by Viktor »

Dear players, modders, and whoever else happens to be watching,

First, where should I actually post this? I post on this forum because it is my best guess. If there is a more appropriate place, please see that it moved and that I am dually informed so as to avoid my screwing the next time.

On to then issue at hand...

I was playing BotF as the Romulans and I noticed an interesting graphics bug. When ever a battle is started it likes to render the first ship is a task force INSIDE one of the opposing ships and vice versa. I suppose I should point that the combat is being initiated with the cloak engaged (reminds me of submarines...very cool). The curious side effect is this...you cannot select the ship since it registers as opponent while while onscreen...effectively throwing away the first strike ability of the cloak because you have to wait until the ship clears the graphic to select it and it is essentially remaining stationary (interestingly the enemy weapons can still target it). It works slightly different in reverse...if the enemy render inside your ship or vice versa, you are unable to target it. But this isn't as big of a problem since all your fleet does is cut lose and blow the offending chunk of pixels into a cloud of vapor. (Particularly if it's my three to there one.) Neither of these are real problems since selecting another uncombined ship in the same group selects the group, but it becomes a problem if you only have one ship and want to use your cloaked turn to get a free attack or GTFO, as the case may be.

Now despite that long explanation, I'm not here because of the bug. I'm here for the hotkeys. Every strategy game I've ever played has hotkeys; this one should have them too. Specifically, the one that let's me select the next ship or group without a mouse. Here's the trick...I can't find them. I have surprised myself in the fact I never seem to have used the hotkeys and never found out what they are. And now I am in position where I have spent an hour looking online and no one seems to have written them down. Strategies, yes. Modding code, yes. Hotkeyes, strangely no. And I cannot look in the manual because I don't have and I can't read it off the disk because my disc drive is malfunctioning and will not read it (or anything else for that matter). What am I to do?

Well, ask, to putt to fine a point on it. Does anyone know where I can find a list of hotkeys?

Thank you for your time and attention (especially since I seem to have rambled a bit).
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Where do I put this...?

Post by thunderchero »

moved to modding section,

first what changes have you made?

it sounds like you have used the ship to ship combat distance patch in QD's patcher. this change is only the base change and requires one other change. what ever your current cloak approach is needs to be cut in half.

here is the vanilla code locations and values if you want to hex edit them

3.) cloak approach

520286 fld ds: 584E0C // 0x182C0C (8 bytes)
default: 300.0
00 00 00 00 00 C0 72 40 -> 00 00 00 00 00 C0 62 40

or you can open the patch file "ship_to_ship_distance_of_attacking_fleet.patch" with a word pad and replace text with this below then save and reapply patch.

Code: Select all

NAME: Ship to ship distance of attacking fleet
AUTHOR: thunderchero
DESC: Separates ships in combat
TAG: enhancement

>> 0x00182b24  33 33 33 33 33 33 C3 3F
>> 0x00182c04  00 00 00 00 00 00 F8 3F
>> 0x00182C0C  00 00 00 00 00 C0 72 40

<< 0x00182b24  00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 3F
<< 0x00182c04  00 00 00 00 00 00 08 40
<< 0x00182C0C  00 00 00 00 00 C0 62 40
thunderchero
Viktor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Viktor »

Um...yeah...unfortunately I am not a programmer so I made no changes except QD's patcher (I'm thinking of Quasar Donkey; that the patcher you talking about?). And hotkeys still would be a handy thing to know.
Viktor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Viktor »

Wow...I tried replacing that code like you said. Now to test.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Viktor wrote: And hotkeys still would be a handy thing to know
there are not many hotkeys, the developer I guess thought they were not important.

just do a simple search for "hotkeys" and "keyboard shortcuts"

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=681&hilit=keyboard+shortcuts

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1156&hilit=hotkeys

thunderchero
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

Viktor wrote:
I was playing BotF as the Romulans and I noticed an interesting graphics bug. When ever a battle is started it likes to render the first ship is a task force INSIDE one of the opposing ships and vice versa. I suppose I should point that the combat is being initiated with the cloak engaged (reminds me of submarines...very cool). The curious side effect is this...you cannot select the ship since it registers as opponent while while onscreen...effectively throwing away the first strike ability of the cloak because you have to wait until the ship clears the graphic to select it and it is essentially remaining stationary (interestingly the enemy weapons can still target it). It works slightly different in reverse...if the enemy render inside your ship or vice versa, you are unable to target it. But this isn't as big of a problem since all your fleet does is cut lose and blow the offending chunk of pixels into a cloud of vapor. (Particularly if it's my three to there one.) Neither of these are real problems since selecting another uncombined ship in the same group selects the group, but it becomes a problem if you only have one ship and want to use your cloaked turn to get a free attack or GTFO, as the case may be.
I had the same issue with the current ship_distance_patch; i used it o UDM3.0.1dc with MPR++; just open the patcher again and disable this particular one. I was able to load my saved game afterwards and it did not crash. But if you don't want to risk it, just wait before you are done with your current game.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”