How to customize the number of initial colony systems?

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Bulaba_Jones
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

How to customize the number of initial colony systems?

Post by Bulaba_Jones »

I've been playing Large Ultimate Dominion Mod for a while now and I've grown accustomed to starting games at "2" development, which in UDLM at that level of development means you have 4 colonized adjacent systems to your home system, all starting with 150 population and a scout ship + colony ship in orbit, plus your home system itself has a small fleet of ships, mostly colony and scout ships.

I have Dcer's Ultimate Editor and I've recently come across the beta version for the latest Ultimate Mod by Dafedz. My problem is that I cannot find where I change these values or even where I go to specify how many starting systems I want each faction to have at specific levels of development, rather than just 1 colonized system at the start. In trek.exe there is "starting conditions" which has nothing to do with specifying a number of additional colonies at the very beginning of the game based on development levels, while stfbof.res has "starting conditions" which again doesn't have anything on specifying additional initial colonies.

Is there anyone more familiar with UE than I who could point me to which file and setting allows for specifying how many initial colonies you start out with? Much obliged :grin:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: How to customize the number of initial colony systems?

Post by thunderchero »

This is a major code change that requires hex editing

Additional Starting Systems on any Starting Level
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=629&p=24351#p24351

extra starting ships
viewtopic.php?f=121&t=734&p=18079#p18079

thunderchero
Bulaba_Jones
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Bulaba_Jones »

thunderchero wrote:This is a major code change that requires hex editing

Additional Starting Systems on any Starting Level
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=629&p=24351#p24351

extra starting ships
viewtopic.php?f=121&t=734&p=18079#p18079

thunderchero
Thank you for explaining this. It's too much work for me right now but I'll keep it in mind for future use.

I have a question I think you may be able to help me figure out, because it's been driving me crazy for the past day. While using UM5 beta by Dafedz I realized I liked having the "Protectorate Headquarters" and "Space Port" buildings from UDM that provide +1 morale to stabilize morale in subjugated/minor systems. So I noticed that there was a unique building to each major power that gives +50% bribery resistance to member races. I selected one of these buildings, highlighted all major powers so all of them could build it, and renamed it to make it more universal since I want it to be a shared building. I then made sure the other 4 could no longer be built, but then I chose two of those, made one a "Local Government" and copied all the stats precisely from UDM's "Space Port", and then made a "Military Government" which copies stats from "Protectorate Headquarters". I set both Local Government/Military Government to require "all 0" research so that they are available from the very start of the game.

The issue is that in a test run of my edited version of UM5, as Dominion, fully able to build a Military Government (in-game it is listed in my available list of buildings), I conquered the Gorn very early on and there's no available Military Government. In UM5, the Gorn do have some special buildings, one of which is this:

Gorn Hegemony
Development type
Morale: 2

Military Government/Protectorate HQ is a development type of building that gives +1 morale. Since UM5 features auto-upgrade of buildings, even though I made sure Military Government "does not upgrade", do you think the game thinks that Gorn Hegemony, with higher morale values and the same development type of building classification, is an upgrade for Military Government? Should I make sure Military Government/Local Government are in a separate building type from anything that specializes primarily in morale, so they don't conflict?

For example: if I make both of those +morale buildings listed under "food" type of buildings, do you think the issue will be resolved? It won't really bother me seeing them listed as food buildings as long as they function properly; I just am not sure what's going on, but I assume the auto-upgrade and fact they share a building type with another +morale building is the issue here.

EDIT: After setting Military Government to "food" building type, and conquering a minor race, it was still unavailable. I also set Military Government to "requires 1 biotech" and in a new game it was also still unavailable when I conquered a minor race.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

when editing any building. you need to reset all buildings

using UE edit/starting conditions/starting technology
on that screen press "Auto-Set All" button then save.

thunderchero
Bulaba_Jones
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Bulaba_Jones »

thunderchero wrote:when editing any building. you need to reset all buildings

using UE edit/starting conditions/starting technology
on that screen press "Auto-Set All" button then save.

thunderchero
By pressing "auto-set all" in that screen, it will reset all buildings?

EDIT: Thank you! Your suggestion worked!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Bulaba_Jones wrote:By pressing "auto-set all" in that screen, it will reset all buildings?
It will edit the racetec.tec file to your current settings for tech level availability and what race can build buildings.

thunderchero

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”