Can the propulsion tech range bonus be modified?

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
adi
Commander
Commander

Can the propulsion tech range bonus be modified?

Post by adi »

Hi guys, i wanted to change the short/medium/long range associated with the propulsion tech; i could not find it in UE? Is it somewhere hidden, or does anyone know the values for a patch?
Since now we are talking about 12, 15 even 24 tech levels in UCW it wouldn't be nice to be stuck at the prop tech 10 range values.

EDIT: I found it; you have to load trek.exe in UE; however it has edit boxes only up to tech 11; so the patch addresses and values still stands; if anyone knows the values or writes a patch, please post it.

Also i want to increase the chance of a system having dilithium; i found this:

position: 0x17D9F4
length: 8 bytes
default value: 0.1
description:
The probability that a star system contains dilithium. Negative values are treated as zero, values larger than 1.0 are treated as 1.0 .
Home systems of major races and space-faring minor races will get dilithium anyway.

I assume 0.1 means 10% chance of dilithium in the system; how do i convert my choice value, say 0.2, using UE convertor? double and little endian?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Can the propulsion tech range bonus be modified?

Post by thunderchero »

adi wrote:EDIT: I found it; you have to load trek.exe in UE; however it has edit boxes only up to tech 11; so the patch addresses and values still stands; if anyone knows the values or writes a patch, please post it.
you would need to make a code change to trek.exe so all races would use a single map range list, but UE is not setup for this change.

here is the topic
viewtopic.php?f=192&t=95&p=24888#p24888
adi wrote:position: 0x17D9F4
length: 8 bytes
default value: 0.1
description:The probability that a star system contains dilithium. Negative values are treated as zero, values larger than 1.0 are treated as 1.0 .
Home systems of major races and space-faring minor races will get dilithium anyway.

I assume 0.1 means 10% chance of dilithium in the system; how do i convert my choice value, say 0.2, using UE convertor? double and little endian?
correct, double (8 bytes) little endian

thunderchero
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

first thanks for moving my topic; this is the proper place;

I want to try to have shipyards only in systems with dilithium; i want less ships in the game (for faster turns) but i was worried about hindering the AI expansion; so i planned to extend the ranges a bit (maybe +1) and to increase dilithium probability for more shipyards chances.

on range values, i see we only have space in trek.exe for 55 values; 11*5 races; i can live with that; actually what i needed was extending range for tech 1 to 11; higher levels using lvl 11 values is fine; and i can do that from UE.
i'll let you guys know how it works out.
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

It did not work.

I did the changes and played a bit; the changes were not working as i intended; i met the first major at turn 40 or so; the fleet i could see had about 20 destroyers and scouts and some TTs; it started with 6 scouts and one destroyer; so limiting shipyards only on dilithium systems does not prevent the AI from cheat-spamming ships; and my systems without the shipyard are just standing around; not being able to build ships; i put intel in them but still ...

In short not the effect i was looking for.
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

My propulsion tech 10 was set to give 7/9/11 range; once i reached that the ranges on the map were messed up; stable, but messed up; some sort of overflow in the calculations i think; some short range available areas were set past the long range;
Anyway, i changed the long range from 11 to 10 and everything looks fine again; this change does not mess up the saved games, so was able to continue with my game.

So i guess range 10 is the maximum allowable.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

adi wrote:So i guess range 10 is the maximum allowable.
never tried so it might be but no idea why it would be limited
but tbh, even UCW with 25 techs map range of 9 was max I used. :grin:

some time I think you just want to make things too easy :wink:

thunderchero
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

Leftover from when i wanted shipyards only on dilithium systems; removing the dilithium request for the shipyards was easy but the range is a 5*11*3 table; anyway 10 fixed my issue.

thunderchero wrote: some time I think you just want to make things too easy :wink:
thunderchero
:oops: you should see my ship list :oops:

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”