Ideas for Borg planetary assault effects

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Raider Echo3
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Ideas for Borg planetary assault effects

Post by Raider Echo3 »

Hi to all,

I played BotF for many years and either the Borgs were disabled or when they attack a system, this was turned to a barren world at all.
Lately I've read the related topics and ask myself, what about de-terraforming? When the Borgs had killed all the population, the planet type and animation were changed, why should it be so easy to recolonize the star system? Just one ship and everything is okay? I thought: hmm, after the Borgs had assimilated the planets, there should be more work to make the planets usable again - the game itself would allow such an effect by de-teraforming all planets after the final strike.
I am not so skilled with understanding more than the easiest game code, so a look into the related sub routines only lets me guess this may possible. By now I only changed gas giants into ice planets. :'( :???: for compensation.

Another idea was - if some likes to lets AI suffer from alien system attacks to spare out all home systems. This may be even more usefull for multiplayer games. Loosing the home system is not very nice, neither by alien attacks or supernova events (guess Nero would agree).

Don't get me wrong, I am not asking for doing this for me, just want to tell some ideas. :grin:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Ideas for Borg planetary assault effects

Post by Flocke »

hi Echo3!
in case you`re into coding, coding this actually is not much of a challenge anymore. I find it a good sample and try to remember. When I get to implement stuff like this, you may remind me. or you find someone else willing to do so :)

great idea anyway! thx

also the ai change you propose shouldn`t be much of a problem, though personally I find it boring to weaken this incapable AI any further :roll:
Raider Echo3
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: early AI development

Post by Raider Echo3 »

Hallo Flocke,

I agree with you (and all other players) about the weak AI.
Borgs attacking AI is only for "testing the overall effects", not really a serious game option. BTW: there is a peace of code around, which makes all starting systems fully terraformed. My impression is that this option has great possitive impact on early AI development. I am testing atm a setup with slowed development, drastic reduced money and appr. halfed industry output, very expensive Colony ships and AI boost with money and morale. I need up to 300 rounds to catch up all mayors on score screen and meeting AI mayors bevore round 150 is - hmm - very demanding. Once I had 30 battle ships (most destroyers) against 150 ferengi battle ships (mostly cruisers).
The disbalance of AI money is handled on another topic but atm I didn't had the time to test it with my current setup - btw: the continous code development within this community - it makes my heart sing to see the work done over all the years.

live long and prosper ;)

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”