Most stable combination for multiplayer

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
klingonfunfunfun
Ensign
Ensign

Most stable combination for multiplayer

Post by klingonfunfunfun »

Hello

Please could you kindly help.

We would really like to enjoy a decent mutiplayer BOTF game with minimal crashes.
But what is the most stable combination for creating and playing a LAN game?

I found this thread through searching "stable multiplayer".
And have since created a Hyper-V Windows XP 32bit machine, on a Windows 10 host.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3101&p=41276&hilit= ... ble#p41276

But that was a post from 2014, and there's been many updtes on this site since then...

Should we install
- just the multi installer + Mod Multi Error Correction mod 3.0 (as Error Correction 4.0 advises of multiplayer issues)
- only RC3 All in One
- multi-installer + Balanace of Power only
- multi-installer + Thunderchero's Multi-player mod
We don't even mind if the most stable variation turns out to be the original /vanilla BOTF.

Please could you advise.

Thank You
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Most stable combination for multiplayer

Post by thunderchero »

klingonfunfunfun wrote:And have since created a Hyper-V Windows XP 32bit machine, on a Windows 10 host.
I would not suggest any type of virtual machine for multiplayer games.

my first question would be to you would this be with a trusted player?
if so I would use direct IP connect, but for this type of connection host must share his IP.
if not trusted player use game ranger. (Game ranger is prone to sync errors).

1. don't expect a crash free game, even single player games will have random crashes. (myself in M\P games I expect at least 1 random crash every 20 -50 turns.)
2. I don't suggest 3 or more player games they will crash more often.
3. all players should be on same windows OS and type (32 bit/64 bit)
4. I suggest using DxWnd, if windows 10 or 8.1 DxWnd is a must. (DxWnd simulates proper directX environment for BOTF)
5. all players should have a good wired internet connection and should not use wifi.
klingonfunfunfun wrote:Should we install
TBH that is up to you...

it sounds like you want a vanilla type of game from you post, so I would suggest ECM 4.0 and host edit trek.exe to remove "Disabling the chasing ships away / morale-boosting exploit" and share trek.exe with other players.
Note; ECM 3.0 has same code change that causes problems in M\P games.

as for install method RC3 would work fine, just be sure all players install same resolution and options.

But the most important things while playing, and all players must understand,
1. Once any player pushes the "turn" button do not touch the mouse again until popup for combat or turn has completed.
2. Host should control game, Host should be last player to press turn button. the race icons under "turns" will change when other players have completed their turn.
3. turn random events and borg OFF
4. host should save game at end of each turn (after all players have pressed turn) and rotate though the 12 saved game slots so last 12 turns are always available.
5. don't use in game chat this can cause crash.

I also suggest using DxWnd windowed so game ranger chat can always be seen or some type of messenger to communicate outside of game. this way if player loses connection they can message Host/other players quickly.

Good luck and remember to just have fun.

thunderchero
klingonfunfunfun
Ensign
Ensign

Mannny thanks, sir!

1. I'll see if i can get my hands on some old hardware with working XP drivers instead

2. It's just the 2 of us, and we'll use a cross-over cable if necessary

3. We'll give the different mods a try

I usually double the output of all building stats and planet population; increase ship defence stats by 4 and offence stats by 2.
It makes the game a bit more fun, and I like the battles to last longer in particular.
Do you think these changes would result in more crashes?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

klingonfunfunfun wrote:1. I'll see if i can get my hands on some old hardware with working XP drivers instead
I don't think this will help to limit crashes, BOTF was designed on window 98 and was never meant to operate on windows XP. also updated drivers and directX has always been problematic.

BTW the last game I had with ruthlessferengi playing vanilla both on windows 10 on game ranger using DxWnd with only 1 crash and no sync errors (150 turn game)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3463#p46361
klingonfunfunfun wrote:2. It's just the 2 of us, and we'll use a cross-over cable if necessary
only crossover cable I know of would be a com port, I was never able to get this to work.
klingonfunfunfun wrote:3. We'll give the different mods a try
avoid or edit any mod with "Disabling the chasing ships away / morale-boosting exploit"
klingonfunfunfun wrote:I usually double the output of all building stats and planet population; increase ship defence stats by 4 and offence stats by 2.
It makes the game a bit more fun, and I like the battles to last longer in particular.
Do you think these changes would result in more crashes?
editing building stats should have no issue as long as both rigs have exact same changes. (I suggest sharing install folder)

as for editing ship stats, longer battles will increase chance of combat crash
klingonfunfunfun
Ensign
Ensign

That sounded like a very fun game!

I was going to promote crossover cable setup to you - 1:1 network port connection with fixed IP addresses - but if you managed 150 turns with only 1 crash then there's no need.
This is what one looks like
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c ... MATU909FBJ

We'll try and replicate several aspects your configuration, which looks like it could be matched by RC3 with DxWnd pre-loaded in the installer.
Then give vanilla with a few of my personal mods a try - I also like to double ship speeds to get things moving a bit - before giving BoP-L a go.
And hopefully it'll work out for us too.

Thank you very much - appreciated, Thunderchero.

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”