new modem, all ports open... Win7 does not work, Vista does.

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

new modem, all ports open... Win7 does not work, Vista does.

Post by ruthlessferengi »

so i finally gave in and bought a N300 netgear router to replace old reliable lynksys from way way way back... opened all ports, i can join but i can't host... tried with DMZ on/off.. no difference... Switched to computer with VIsta install... same router, same ip... works fine with DMZ on/off... For lan, i can host on vista but not on Win7... Win7 hosted games don't show up... anybody has a clue?
rf

ps i tried lappy wireless connection on win7 anbd it worked well... so it must be new win7 desktop.... but its' firewalls are configured ports passing what's going on?
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
Nucky9
Ensign
Ensign

Re: new modem, all ports open... Win7 does not work, Vista d

Post by Nucky9 »

I don't know the answer, but something somewhat similar to has been happening to me - drives me crazy. The guys I play with and I with have 6 different computers that we use to play BOTF over lan - 3 of them (running vista) can join with each other and another (running XP). The other two (XP and W7) can only join with each other, but none of the other four. The router used doesn't seem to make any difference. What seems especially weird is that the second XP computer used to be able to lan with the first four computers, but no longer can (I think maybe since SP3 was installed). All the computers except the first XP are laptops.

I don't know enough about networking to figure this out (and some google searching did no good), but it seems really bizarre to me.
carcher
Commander
Commander

Post by carcher »

did you get this sorted out rf? i ask coz my new win7 laptop was working fine until i tried setting up the old xp lappy through the router then everything went t**'s up.
as things now stand, win7 laptop is working fine again in warzone and hamachi but i'm very reluctant to mess things up by trying to set up the xp laptop for my beloved, mrs carcher.
can anyone help before i get endless earache from my better half ?
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky....and one day mickar.....one day.....one sweet day......HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY DAYS :D
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

sorry, from what I understand most routers will only allow 1 computer to have ports open. even opening ports on one then DMZ on other does not work. the best way is direct IP for 2 players to play on same router.

thunderchero
carcher
Commander
Commander

Post by carcher »

thx for reply TC and our little chat last night.
its not that i want to use both laptop's to play in wz at the same time, i just wanted the old one set up for wz in case of an unforseen emergency, so its no big deal.
cheers
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky....and one day mickar.....one day.....one sweet day......HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY DAYS :D
ruthlessferengi

Post by ruthlessferengi »

Well, problem solved. Chuck the new router, got second hand lynksys, no problems, even old camanchi4, ef2 works on lan mp. And botf:) happy days.
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Lynksys is the way to go mate :) the one you sent me definitely made things a lot smoother... thanks again!
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR

Return to “Multiplayer Games”