Windowed UDM in MP: good news and bad news...

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Windowed UDM in MP: good news and bad news...

Post by thunderchero »

ZeroChance wrote:Okay, now that I've had my share of combat in UDM with MPR++ I agree with RF for the time being. At the moment, it is unplayable in an MP setting. I've begun a game with gentle, playing as Klings and the battles I've had with no more than 30 ships total are very laggy. Gentle was mentioning the same thing for him... so not sure if this is completely MPR related or just my crappy vid card.

Anyhow, I'm really excited for what will happen in regards to MPR in the near future :)

Until then, it's back to non-MPR udm for me.
I understand your decision to change to non mpr++ version but while I was in warzone while you were playing that game I saw it was 3 hours and 56 min without a crash. that says some thing for the stability of MPR++ in MP games. :D

thunderchero
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

well, this topic created a lot of unintended melodrama questioning fundamentals, philosohophy and stirring righteous indignation on the part of the individuals that was not intended. I understand that the way of the future is with the new mpr engine and that's where TH and Flocke are going and that's great. the game needs to move forward and I am thankful for the visionaries amongst us - hats off to ye all responsible for the latest and the greatest, including mpr. I will help any way i can. All i wanted just to get u guys to realize that the move was made too quickly and u shud have asked for feedback for such a big change. Whether all agree on that or not - let the people who play this game decide.

After i encountered the lag, i asked for mpr free version until mpr is ready and was told "no", not possible, go back to old mods. That's not the way to discuss things. But it is not fair to take an unfinished project and couple it with the latest release mod that is probably the most popular mod there is without option of having a functional playable mp version of the game. Not fair to the mpr and its' creators and us grunt-end-users. You wanted feedback - i provided it - lets move on and carry on. I think UDM3 D is a great improvement so why limit it by the new engine that is not quite ready for prime time? IT WILL be i am sure complements of hard work of the individuals involved but imho it's not atm.

True this is not a corporation, it's a fan based game. Well, I am fan. So I am glad that u guys listen to fans as u do that magic u do. Thanks to TH for providing the selfinstaller and saving me an embrassing 3 h session trying to figure things on my own...

The mpr IS stable in mp - every single battle has processed to the end - but needs compatible models to avoid lag that is crippling - thank u Gentle and ZC for confirming that finding. that fact has been beaten to death and established and select few are working to make the change happen. Wonderful.

While that happens I am glad we can stil play udm 3 latest and probably the best version of the mod complements of TH and that's great. Every epic game is a 6-7 h investment of our busy lives piecemeal. Please understand my frustration if we can't complete the game we crafted for many hours because of lag...

When I first broached the issue I was told - nope, no way, just go back to the old mods. So i wanted to clarify things. I don't rant, Flocke - in the strictest definition of the word - so lets just see things for what they r and not exagerate.

As for Gentle's sage advise re: spirit and classical music, I've been swimming in Wagner and Malbec for nearly every game and that does help a lot to get the clarity of thought. In fact, strategic forethought gets muddled if I don't...

Yes, Gengle we'll play that early game u crave for and look forward to the way of the future complements of Flocke, Angel, TH etc..
Last edited by ruthlessferengi on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
ruthlessferengi

redundant post... so i deleted it...

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

ruthlessferengi wrote:blah MP>SP... blah blah blah... not working... blah lag blah... older Version blah... HALP... MP...blablabla... 1 Gigabyte Graphics card...BLAAAAH
srsly dude: it's a pain to read your whining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmT24G8GozI

that's what I like about ppl. do nothing and just complain. everyone knows that mpr++ is a WIP. but you're not helping in any way. Just telling that the only thing left for you to do now is intel.

your constant MP babble is hell of annoying, too. at least for me. ppl mod in their spare time. There's not much time left for mp.

btw you can have a graphics card with 3 Exabyte of VRAM. But that isn't much of a use if it's a Trident 8900c. So the minimum of information I'd expect is at least a name (device/vendor id) and the version of the driver.

That'd be a start from your side.

Then you should think about what you do here. You're not giving anyone here a good feeling. And I doubt you inspired Flocke to work harder on mpr++ now after he read your Spongebob-posts for the 10th time.

From my pov it's effin' annoying.
ruthlessferengi

KrazeeXXL wrote:
ruthlessferengi wrote:blah MP>SP... blah blah blah... not working... blah lag blah... older Version blah... HALP... MP...blablabla... 1 Gigabyte Graphics card...BLAAAAH
srsly dude: it's a pain to read your whining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmT24G8GozI

that's what I like about ppl. do nothing and just complain. everyone knows that mpr++ is a WIP. but you're not helping in any way. Just telling that the only thing left for you to do now is intel.

your constant MP babble is hell of annoying, too. at least for me. ppl mod in their spare time. There's not much time left for mp.

btw you can have a graphics card with 3 Exabyte of VRAM. But that isn't much of a use if it's a Trident 8900c. So the minimum of information I'd expect is at least a name (device/vendor id) and the version of the driver.

That'd be a start from your side.

Then you should think about what you do here. You're not giving anyone here a good feeling. And I doubt you inspired Flocke to work harder on mpr++ now after he read your Spongebob-posts for the 10th time.

From my pov it's effin' annoying.
Nice working definition of the term "rant". Really? :) TH u may want to lock this threat before it turns into soap opera

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

ruthlessferengi wrote:TH u may want to lock this threat before it turns into soap opera
TH? I am used to TC so are you starting something new?

I do not want to seem bias so any decision would need to be made by either Tethys or anjel since I have been part of discussion. But a PM has already been sent to both of them.

But I would like to suggest one constructive idea, On your next epic mp game keep a saved game right before a major battle (100 vs 100 if possible human vs human) so further testing can be done to determine what exactly is the cause of "lag"

EDIT; I would prefer cards vs feds (I have reasons for this :wink: )

I know testing would be painful but it is needed.

thunderchero
ruthlessferengi

Frreudian slip.... u r my hero after alll, hence beg ur apology, thundercHero.. ;) i'll get u those files

gentle
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by gentle »

To put another good news, yes the new version is more stable, until now i did not encounter any crash in the game on my side, only desinc cause by the internet connection over Atlantic i think, and all the big laggy battles was fought until the end (my end usually :| ) We will provide you with some saves before battles THC, (is more groovy THC, makes me think at a fabulous painkiller :D ) the save of the high tech game who i upload when i assume that the drop of HP is a bug (after cold thinking drop of hull hp after upgrading is an excellent addition to the balance of the game) there are around 150 ships on the map at that time.. in a couple of turn you can have a big battle with them, i will be in WZ ready to help with that when you have time. And to put a bad news also.. for the Yin and Yang of the post, this year is the end of the world, all of us will die in pain, except Romanians who are 10 years behind in every aspects of life, for them is 2022
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

*runs through the thread naked yelling*

Sky is falling! Sky is falling!

*that oughta confuse them long enough for MPR to be finished* ;)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version

Return to “Multiplayer Games”