Players Of Ill Repute

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

aptuttle
Ensign
Ensign

Players Of Ill Repute

Post by aptuttle »

Following on the heels of a post which was miscategorized, and on the advice that I do so as a new topic, I propose keeping a list of anyone who has shown bad behavior and of course "ragequitters" so that we can all exercise some caution before potentially devoting hours of our time to a game that will simply be abandoned.

BOTF is a great game to play for extended periods, I myself like a game that takes 300-400 turns to resolve in a final bloody collision of carnage! But there can hardly be anything more frustrating than getting to that stage, and realizing that your opponent likes to force crash a battle they didn't want to have/are losing. Likewise, simply abandoning a game a hundred turns in because you're doing poorly, rather than letting your opponent know you're resigning, is pretty rotten given that your opponent might still be setting aside prearranged times to log in and be looking for you.

This is also, I think, the place to mention people who send inappropriate messages. You may not care personally if you're spoken to in this way, but holding someone responsible for their behavior can help ensure that they don't drive away newer players to BOTF MP that we'd all like to see stick around.

Please be polite & clear in your arguments--Vulcan, one might say. This is not a place to flame but to make the community aware of a player's questionable behavior and hopefully save all of us the annoyance of having our games abandoned or made inhospitable by the actions of another. Remember -- a player might've abandoned a game unintentionally due to RL. A player who simply quits and stops responding to requests to continue, while hopping over to other games to fill their time, has pretty clearly not bothered to let their former opponent know the game was at an end.
aptuttle
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Players Of Ill Repute

Post by aptuttle »

"gentle" - GameRanger

I had the following experience with the player "gentle" while on GameRanger.

We played on a couple of occasions. In the first, I was setting in for what I expected to be a longer contest when he showed up early with his fleet and took me out. Annoying, but fair play, so I challenged him to another game, where I planned to develop my fleet as quickly as possible.

Doubtless thinking I would make the same mistake, he approached my territory with a large fleet of low to moderate strength ships. Having developed a smaller fleet of stronger ships, I engaged him in battle. The battle went very well for me, taking out nearly his entire fleet by the time by my (much smaller patrol of larger ships) was finally managed destroyed. Despite his technically winning the battle, the bulk of his fleet had been destroyed with just a few of my command ships being destroyed.

It was at this point, before the battle completed and returned us to the map, that the game crashed. I attempted a restart & messaged him but, rather than joining me to continue, he sent me a rude message and then promptly blocked me.

This game was on GameRanger, maybe 1-2 months ago. When I realized he was a member on this site, I messaged him to let him know that I was making his behavior public. He told me I could (insert four letter word) myself.

This is a player that appears to have engaged in tournaments here and, based upon numerous in-game messages to me, seems to hold newer players in a very low opinion and it does not surprise me that he'd ragequit a game against them, but not when players against moderators of this site or players who may be frequent opponents on Tourneys. I would recommend that people who are not well-known players or "movers and shakers" on this site would be wise to avoid this person gentle.

I do not know if he is on WZ or, if so, under what name, but if I am able to find out I will update this.
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

well, it is regrettable that this happened...

here is the reality from my limited point of view...

there are very few people who still play this frustrating old game of ours... we certainly can't afford to treat each other in disrespectful way. having said this, no one is perfect, all make big mistakes and I am not sure if we have any choice but to try to make nice and move forward... i only know of very few people who still play this game so we need to give grace and be able to receive one when needed. i hope you and gentle can sort this out as it would be a pity if we let our personalities or lack of management of such would isolate us.

without viable AI that is a challenge, this game is dead. I am very happy we have talented folk working on trying to make this better, but for now, for the sake of this game, lets keep it alive, and play it well with each other.

gentle is a fine MP player, one of the best imho, so it would be a loss if he can't impart some of the pearls of mp game to others. I am sure anyone can learn from each other. i learn from him, i learn from dissy, mickar, xdx, zerochance, kingy, and many other vets out there.

sorry to make it all sound like kumbaya etc and go all soft here, but we can't afford to have these things happening. i haven't heard gentle side of the story but regardless lets find a way to move forward.
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
gentle
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by gentle »

So.. now i know who this sad soul is. Yes he is right! Half of year ago (not 1-2 month) while i was loosing my time in Game Ranger i notice this #$#%^ in a lonely room of Botf. I play the first game with him, it was over by turn 30, build a couple of ships and rush him. He was very furious.. because i did not wait more to give him time to do his SP game strategy. Next game, he played klings if i remember correct, he wanted to surprise me with scouts or ..whatever. Of course i was over him again because he did not know how to play this game but after a crash in a battle that i suppose to easily win, after reload he brought all of his fleet next turn to play fight me again. I think i won this battle also.. but whit more losses on my side. I tried to explain him to this AI mind guy about the rules for MP games, the decent things to do after a crash in battle, but you cannot fight against the Mother Nature. In front of this.. of course i stop playing that game, i block him, and previously send him all of my thoughts about him, his intellect, his life and so on (sorry but i am an honest guy, nothing to hide, when i see a #$^%$& i told him that he is a #$^%$& directly with no regrets) This defender of justice crusader of light is true also when he said that i reply to his pm with a lot of bad words, of course i did (anyone who wants to see my dialog with this guy pls pm, because i used my best curses with him and i am afraid of copyrights) RF we are few left who play this game as you said, but sadly this guy is just a pathetic joke of a player and for sure he is not worthy to carry on the legend :smile:

Cover me Porkins!

PS. for the Warrior of Light. I really miss your pm.. pls.. tell me more!
ruthlessferengi

Post by ruthlessferengi »

great... well... not sure what to say... on a technicality point, if there is crash in the battle, on reload Mp etiquette suggest that same number of ships should be replayed as before, no more no less.... BUT

looking at the whole situation from whatever limited info here, i am not sure it is worthwhile to provide a global assessment of once entire life based just on this technicality instance, Gentle... I am sorry this has come down to this. I made a few dumb moves in my previous lives before, but a bit more patience and grace could have been tried. bottom line, I am pretty sure you two won't be playing together for a long while, and for the near extinct situation that this game is at the moment, this is a loss for all... prob a restraint order be ok for both of you until heads cool off... c'mon guys
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
aptuttle
Ensign
Ensign

Post by aptuttle »

"[quote="gentle"]So.. now i know who this sad soul is. Yes he is right! Half of year ago (not 1-2 month) while i was loosing my time in Game Ranger i notice this #$#%^ in a lonely room of Botf. I play the first game with him, it was over by turn 30, build a couple of ships and rush him. He was very furious.. because i did not wait more to give him time to do his SP game strategy. Next game, he played klings if i remember correct, he wanted to surprise me with scouts or ..whatever. Of course i was over him again because he did not know how to play this game but after a crash in a battle that i suppose to easily win, after reload he brought all of his fleet next turn to play fight me again. I think i won this battle also.. but whit more losses on my side."

As to the rest of it....bull @&$%.

All of this above happened. And then everything he said happened after it is 100% fabrication. Immediately following this battle he self-crashed the game and then blocked me instantly, which I found out when I tried to message him asking why he left the game room. So, not sure how all of the other stuff happened since I've been blocked by him on GR ever since the game went down. No, I wasn't aware then of the unspoken rule to not alter gameplay if the game crashes mid-turn.....

....because I wasn't the only one who made different choices following the restart. Yeah, that's right, he did so as well, before me, on a previous crash restart. Which is why when he complained about it, I told him I was in my rights to do so.

Also, after our first game, what was said hardly even rates as an argument much less what he would paint it as. At the very least, our conversation was constructive & reasonable enough that we ended by agreeing that he and I play the game to different goals (I to eliminate all major races not just human opponents; he to conquer only human opponent and then finish w/o bothering with the AI. The meat of our disagreement was that his style of play, given our game setup, would've made it nearly impossible to defeat the AI which we gave heavy advantages to if one chose to ignore them completely in favor of only attacking the human player. Obviously we reached an agreement which we could both live with and I didn't just rage at him, being that in our games no one will need to defeat the AI to consider it a victory---and hence, we immediately started another game!) Just another fabrication, you'd like to justify the fact that you quit a game based on the resolution of a battle which decimated your available forces and would very likely have allowed me to begin subjugating your planets.

Face it. You crashed the game because your fleet was decimated in order to "win" the battle. Why else would you self-crash the game only after this battle was concluded?

No one's buying it, dude. You play the game like a 10yr old boy plays video games, you can't handle losing and throw a tantrum when things don't go your way. And then lie about it afterwards. You are making my case for me, as no one's going to play with you if you're going to sit here and admit that your nature is to rage-quit and walk away.
Last edited by aptuttle on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aptuttle
Ensign
Ensign

Post by aptuttle »

Furthermore, given that you blocked me right after you crashed the game & I never heard any of that supposed conversation you describe....

...when do you imagine such "pearls of wisdom" were directed my way? You couldn't message me on GR, having blocked me, and you didn't know who I was on this site until a few days ago.

You choose to compound your childish behavior with lies now (not even good ones)....do you really think you're doing yourself any favors?
aptuttle
Ensign
Ensign

Post by aptuttle »

Finally, and this is my final word on the subject...

"this guy is just a pathetic joke of a player and for sure he is not worthy to carry on the legend"

This perfectly sums up why anyone who decides to give BOTF MP a try & who we'd all hope will stick around and keep this thing alive......should stay far away from you.

I rest my case.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Hey to all you mp players, the few that are left.

I asked thunderchero to unlock again to start some discussion on how to handle issues like this in general as this is an issue with the game actually that does occure everyonce a while and will keep occuring.
It is simply wrong to accuse either side here and start flaming and swearing and so please stop it.

It will also not pass by fixing the game. Crashes do appear, they will appear and n00bs still learning on the game and doing faults also.
I remember having experienced such troubles myself in mp play, where I was called cheater or such in the end or lost interest myself.
And with n00bs I include all those that are new to us, not just to botf or mp play as most ppl still differ alot in play style and experience, even after having played the game for a decade or more.

What I believe we do need is some general attitude rules for n00b play on afc we all can agree with and point to when we play anyone new to the community.
It ofc only works when we actually do point at these and explain or tell where we differ and lays in responsibility of us community members. Lateron this can be integrated with a notice ingame also eventually.

A few ideas I have, note the most can be summed in a sticky topic so you really just need to point at and tell where you differ:
  • link some guide on playing the game including the many tricks so ppl are not lost in thinking all is cheated
  • inform a n00b on your play style and what experience you think you have (long time members should know), be serious
  • name the worst tricks and before you play a n00b discuss what of these tricks you might apply / are forbidden by your play style
  • ask the n00bs if they want a serious match or still learn the game so you can forgive some faults
  • list important mp-play rules for a serious match like always repeat each step on crash or if it keeps crashing how to resolve it

Please let me know when you can agree to this and start add some ideas.
And please stop the shit chat on the game there was as that won't bring us further just lock the topic again.
details on what to write down is subject to be discussed

cheers
aptuttle
Ensign
Ensign

Post by aptuttle »

Instead of unlocking this, let's just start a new topic for implementing your ideas, which are all good ones for that matter.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

yeah, I realized while typing it down but by then thunderchero already had unlocked it hehe

just calm down, the topic is fine for discussion
like I said the trouble you both had is nothing new to botf and in review I wonder why we never had a discussion on this before :roll:
it's frustrating to everyone and noone is happy by a conflict on how to play mp right and I guess gentle can agree to that as well
I still do not know much on your game or what talk you had but can imagine how you both got pissed on each other, and I think it's not worth to take on the dispute - that is not what this game is meant for
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

well I did not play mp for a while but when noone has an opinion to what I proposed above, at some time think I'll just put what I find good rules myself and you dudes are forced to adapt :P ;)
BenMaxwell
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BenMaxwell »

i dont rage quit when playing mp, its just when everyone is doing mp and im playing, its 1200 am during the night and i need to go to bed xD
aptuttle
Ensign
Ensign

Post by aptuttle »

Flocke wrote:well I did not play mp for a while but when noone has an opinion to what I proposed above, at some time think I'll just put what I find good rules myself and you dudes are forced to adapt :P ;)
That's what most everyone does. Personally, I feel that most people are capable of discussing rules & expectations civilly during a game, and coming to an agreement on their own...or, if they can't do so, agreeing to end such an engagement. Such issues hardly need to be spoken of unless one of the involved players is responding with inappropriate behavior and language that the community as a whole should be aware of.
BenMaxwell
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BenMaxwell »

That's why I need to work on keeping my mouth closed yelling at the ai on impossible when they beat the snot out of my allies xD

Return to “Multiplayer Games”