Post by Tethys »

vr64x4.png
vr64x4.png (17.45 KiB) Viewed 5438 times
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: The 1024x768 Project

Post by thunderchero »

mine was same as tethys mpr test

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Thanks tethys and thunderchero. So it's confirmed, we can run BotF in higher resolutions, including widescreen. I'll start work on the automated screen enlargement script.
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Birth of the Federation' may one day be played in 1920x1080 high definition :) -- imaging being able to see the large galaxy map :D
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Peter1981 wrote:'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Birth of the Federation' may one day be played in 1920x1080 high definition :) -- imagine being able to see the large galaxy map :D
That day may be sooner than you realise.

I have a new toy for you guys to play with. It's a drag-n-drop WDF editor. It's actually not quite finished yet, but I'm starting a new job tomorrow, so I thought I'd just get it out now. It should have all the features needed for extending the screens to 1024x768.

One note: as usual, it works perfectly on my Linux system, but the Windows version seems quite buggy (garbled graphics, screen updates are out of sync, popup windows are not staying in front, etc.). Many of the problems seem to be related to OpenGL. And also cos Windows sucks :o. I'll try correct any Windows problems in a future version. This is prototype software after all, so I can't promise it won't format your harddrive!! :wink:

You can get the tool here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/botfwdftools/files/
(hit the link for wdfedit-*-w32.zip)

Something I forgot to mention: you must extract STBOF.RES to a folder to use this. If you are working with WDFs in your own folders, make sure the needed TGAs are stored with the WDFs.

I've also thrown together an assorted pack of graphics.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7K6XVDD5
I've separated the background and foreground (LCARS) graphics for most of the Federation screens. You can extend the foregrounds to any resolution you like, apply a background, convert to 16-bit TGA, and overwrite the original background TGAs. Then knock yourself out with the WDF editor. Thunderchero also provided the separated background graphics for the other empires. I'll try get the other empire foreground graphics done soon.

I hope to have this entire project wrapped up within 2 weeks, but that depends on how much free time I'll have.
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Excellent work QD. This is truly a remarkable project that is worthy of Project of the Year award (do we have one of those :?: ) I look forward to playing around with this in the near future and will give feedback how it looks. Who needs BotF2 or Supremacy when we have a gifted group of code masters here making the original sooo much better than it originally was. Now if only we can beef up the combat system :wink: (sorry I had to throw that in there for shits and giggles). Good luck in your new job QD :)
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Nice!

I took a quick look (very quick) I did notice a couple things I would like to suggest.
  • 1. Could it render the pink and black invisible?
    2. Could you add guides horizontal and vertical to make things easier?
But so far I have not seen any major problems so far.

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

thunderchero wrote:But so far I have not seen any major problems so far.
Really? Maybe it's just cos I'm testing out the Windows version within Linux, but it's freaking the hell out on my end. Have you noticed any visual glitches? E.g. garbled images, jumpiness when zooming, things not being immediately hilighted yellow when you click/right-click on them, solid pink backgrounds instead of transparency, etc.
thunderchero wrote:1. Could it render the pink and black invisible?
Oh, the screenshot above is old, it does actually use transparency. Unless the Windows version is broken there too :(
thunderchero wrote:2. Could you add guides horizontal and vertical to make things easier?
I had thought about that, but I think the zoom feature using the mousewheel should accommodate for the moment.
xDx wrote:Excellent work QD
Well it's not quite right yet. I still have a few things to iron out, and many features to add :D
xDx wrote:Who needs BotF2 or Supremacy when we have a gifted group of code masters here making the original sooo much better than it originally was.
Yeah, I don't think any of the clones will ever live up to BotF.
xDx wrote:Now if only we can beef up the combat system
Flocke did some work on this in the form of a replacement graphics library, but the 3D/combat system is the main part that's not finished. I was planning on making a serious attempt at implementing a new 3D system after I finish some of these other projects I'm working on.
xDx wrote:Good luck in your new job QD
Thanks! Well it's only a temporary thing for now, I don't even think it'll be full-time (freelance/contract).
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

QuasarDonkey wrote:Oh, the screenshot above is old, it does actually use transparency. Unless the Windows version is broken there too :(
like I said limited testing, :wink: I tested same screen you used and pink is transparent but the one I first tested the buttons used black as transparent (cmarker.wdf) and they were not transparent.

but no visual glitches? E.g. garbled images, jumpiness when zooming, things not being immediately hilighted yellow when you click/right-click on them so far.

I still think guides would be useful when working on larger screens. But I agree when working in small screens they would not be needed only helpful.

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

thunderchero wrote:I tested same screen you used and pink is transparent but the one I first tested the buttons used black as transparent (cmarker.wdf) and they were not transparent.
You're right, I have a subroutine to figure out if the background should be transparent or not by testing if it's a solid color (I'm assuming BotF does this too), but I forgot about black. I've patched the code, but I have to compile it on another Windows machine.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

After playing with it a little more I do have some more suggestions.
  • 1. keyboard shortcut "c" center on selected
    2. allow screen movement only when nothing is selected, if object is selected use (up, down, left, right) keyboard keys for movement of object to fine tune location. I am having problems doing that single pixel movement with mouse. :wink:
I am sure I will have others as I play with it more I hope thats ok.

thunderchero
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Yeah keep the suggestions coming. One of my motivations in rolling out the software early was so I could prioritize features based on what people request. All your suggestions so far are very small fixes, a few minutes work. I'll do it tomorrow.

Edit: I can also add a couple of scrollbars to the window if that would help with centering.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

QuasarDonkey wrote:Yeah keep the suggestions coming. One of my motivations in rolling out the software early was so I could prioritize features based on what people request. All your suggestions so far are very small fixes, a few minutes work. I'll do it tomorrow.

Edit: I can also add a couple of scrollbars to the window if that would help with centering.
I figure all in good time, And yes scroll bars would work fine for centering when zoomed in.

I am hoping at some point the properties window will be editable? I think only the highlighted line is needed. This would allow editing of 1024x768 wdf so we could edit the widget size for the 800x600 widgets.

thunderchero
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Niiiiice. Very impressive :D
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Gh0st
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Gh0st »

I love your work and your passion for botf. please... this goes out to everybody... keep it on!

Return to “Increasing Game Resolution + patchtool”