hitpoints with milkshape

Need help with a program come ask here

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Khaldore
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Khaldore » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:43 am

Something about MS3D I noticed... you can export a model in .sod format, but you can only import *stock* .sod files. That makes things a bit tough when placing joints, and even though they're where you want them, they're all out of whack in Storm3D. I know I can move them there too, but it's been acting up on me. Node directions (the little colored dealies) warping out of proportion, etc. I'll have to snap a screenshot soon. Anyhow, it's a pain to move them in Storm3D and then not be able to re-import into Milkshape to make other changes. *shrugs*

- Mike

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:02 am

So why are you trying to import a model that you should already have a saved backup of the ms3d format file. When you export to sod (or anything else), It's makes a copy of the file and names it the format exported to. I have to go in and make changes several times on most models, and never had a problem yet. Just after making the change, save your work (always save your work), and re-export with the same name, and then copy the updated file into your game.

MS3D will not let you re-open an exported file that is an "original work of art". This is the way it's designed to protect modellers from people stealing their hard work.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

Khaldore
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Khaldore » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:34 am

I understand... I do keep a backup of my model in MS3D format. But for me, it's easier to import/export back and forth, especially when I make changes (such as node orientation in Storm3D) in both programs, that's all.

I only mention this because after placing my nodes in Milkshape, the location of them is way out of place in Storm3D. It's especially noticable with plasma/steam emitters and strobe lights. I put them in one place with Milkshape, yet I have to reposition them *then* re-save the .sod for them to be in the right place.

Of course, all those changes are moot when I resume work on the model itself, so... *shrugs* it's just that more difficult, but maybe I'm just not doing something right.

- Mike

EDIT: On a side note... once nodes are placed, can they be moved up and down (in relation to the top/bottom of the model), or do they have to stay on one 'plane', so to speak? That might be part of the problem I'm having.

gizmo_666
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by gizmo_666 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:41 pm

but the point is, what do you reckon is the best way to fix the Halo Class, Storm is never online anymore, anyone fancy giving the model a rebuild?
He who controls the past commands the future,
he who commands the future conquers the past.