I can't make models. Milk shape is driving me MAD.

Need help with a program come ask here

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

orion_butpirate
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

I can't make models. Milk shape is driving me MAD.

Post by orion_butpirate » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:05 pm

I've downloaded Milk and some tutorials on making simple ships with milk and it turns out that I make poop. Can somebody get me pointed in the right direction so that I can start contributing?
Is milk where I should start for making some nice models?
What's the process from modelling a ship to finally having it in-game?

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:00 pm

Starting out is the hardest step

Golden Rules (That I advise people with anyway)

1. Dont compare your work to people that have been doing it for years (Eg. MajorAPayne, DarthSpanky, Pepperman or even myself)

2. Dont be defeatest about it. "I cant" is simply downgrading "I am having difficulty, but will keep trying" is better for your morale and will boost your confidence

3. Build realistically. Don't build a Sovereign or a Romulan Warbird as your first model. Try a Type 6 Shuttlcraft or something small then build up.

4. Dont expect to run before you can walk. Relates to the above, but dont expect high detailed meshes first time around. I personally build models poly-by-poly. A method people think is crazy (and with good reason) but I find it easier to make detailed stuff so set a goal of what you want. If it helps print out a blue print and sketch a wireframe around it. I dont know if people do that round here, but If I get stuck as I did while modeling my new Scimitar model, I sketched the wing and then drew a wireframe, then created the wireframe in Milkshape to create a relative canon section

5. Spheres = Poly eaters. Try shaping Cylinders, they also smooth better

6. Concerve Poly count. If you are modeling for Armada 1, keep your model around 1 - 2000 polys. Creating a perfect cylinder Nacelle (like a TOS) with a 6 stack cylinder is silly as your nacelled will cost you about 300 each. The more concervation you have, the more you can place into detail, like 3D Bridges, Nacelle grill indents, deflector arrays or even window indentations on the hull.

Rules 1 - 3 are the main ones I think others would agree too. That is just the advice I advise to new modelers.

I believe I posted a tutorial on the "Phantom's Idiots Guide" forum as I posted a few tutorials on there for newbies in modding and modeling. maybe worth a look.

Main thing is keep practicing.

Ad'

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:52 am

Good advice Phantom. Remember, start small and work your way up. I remember getting so frustrated that I actually put Milkshape away for several months, picked up some books on 3D modeling and read a lot, then went back to it. I made one ship five different times before I was even ready to show it in public.

Also, don't just confine your self to making ships. Making just about any model will help you learn (I still learning). Mater the functions in Milkshape, then work on mastering the techniques.

Phantom, I noticed on your tutorial that the photos don't seem to be linked in.

Here is an example of modeling a gun
http://www.tutorialguide.net/modelling_ ... orial.html

Here ia an example of Milkshape 3D SPAS 12 Shotgun Modelling
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/Mil ... rial;36160

Practice, practice and more practice.

orion_butpirate
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by orion_butpirate » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:57 pm

Wow. Thanks to you both! I'm really impressed with the ships that you guys have made and I really want to contribute something.

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:27 am

Keep practicing.

Personally, I use Milkshape 3D and Paint Shop Pro. Both are relatively inexpensive and quite powerful. I would love to try out 3DS Max some time as I would love to learn how to do animations but the price is too high for me. If you go the Milkshape route but sure to download the plug-ins. SFC/Armada/BC/Others import and export with hardpoint/node editing by Chris Graham, Assimilation Software. They can be found here

http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/ms3d/download.html

Also, be sure to download MAP's Milkshape tutorial from this site as it will also be a good resource.

If you need some blueprints to get started with here is a good site

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/bl ... -main2.php

Personally, I find building the model to be a lot easier than texturing but the Texture Tutorial by Wrath of Achilles is a great resource. You can find it here

http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Textu ... lles;33431

If you are into more futuristic designs then you gotta check out Atolm's designs. Here is a link to his stuff.

http://jason9704.fotopic.net/

orion_butpirate
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by orion_butpirate » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:35 pm

Thanks. That's really helpful pepperman!

wildcard621
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by wildcard621 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:31 am

Never give up! I'm a Milkshape/GIMP user, since I only do this as a hobby and for fun! I've been doing this almost for a year now, and I will share some insights that I've learned while modeling:

1. If you have never modeled before, try downloading "Westworlds Big Book of Modding" or Major Payne's Milkshape 3D SOD tutorial. That's how I got started.

2. Try taking a model thats already built, maybe from a *.*mod or *.*nif format, or try just taking a SOD from the game, such as bbattle.sod. It will give you an idea on what a model should look like and proper placements of all hardpoints and such.

3. Keep that model under 2000 polys at all possible! I have a high end machine so I can throw at least two over 10000 poly ships out there with no hiccups, but if you want to contribute, keep it low, and you will have happy downloaders!

4. If you are unsure about texturing, the best thing to do is build something simple, like a square or a table, then try using a bitmap from Windows to texture it. Sounds corny, but you get the hang of it in no time. I started with a cylinder and made a Texaco oil tank out of it.

5. As far as hardpointing, what I did was to import a stock SOD (since thats all you can do with Milkshape...) and removed the mesh and just left the hardpoint tree. From that I removed the mesh hardpoints. i.e. like m_lod1 or something like that, then add them again by selecting the scene root hardpoint first, then adding the mesh hp. It's a lot quicker than adding them manually.

6. Once you get comfortable enough, try to model a ship from this site:

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/

You can make textures from the pictures. Just make sure they are in 256x256 or 512x512 format for .tga files. Good luck!