texture

Need help with a program come ask here

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

hippy
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

texture

Post by hippy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:17 am

I am a first time using milkshape 3d. I have made the model but I am wondering how to put texture on it.

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:35 pm

I don't really know either, but I'd suggest that you check out Achilles' texture tutorial, under tutorials on this site.
Melior Posco Venia Quam Scisco Licentia

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:41 pm

I'd try to sum it up farely breifly.

First, you need to create groups for the different ship components and/or texture areas. For example, top of the sauser will get one texture, bottom will get a different texture. You'll need at least two groups to accomplish this.

To create a group, select the necessary faces and click "regroup" under the groups tab.

When you have the groups, create a new material under the materials tab. To do this, press "new" and then the big button that says "none" to select a material.

Then, go back to groups tab and select a group. Under the materials tab, select the correct material from the list and click assign.

To "reposition" the material so that the texture shows up properly, make sure that the group is selected and click "window" then "texture coordinate editor".

You should see a wireframe projection of the group on top of the texture. If the group is projected from an incorrect perspective, choose the correct one from a drop down menu that should normally say "front".

Now, use the buttons in that window to reposition, stretch and etc. the wireframe to so that only the texture can be applied properly.

When you close the window, the views will be updated.

:!: Make sure that the model is "closed" THat is, all necessary verteces are welded.

I found that it helps to have the projection from the texture coordinate editor to create the texture. That way, you know exactly where the key areas are :)

Lastly, the suggested tutorial will definately help. If you can't get the textures to work, do read it thoroughly. :P