Small milkshape question

Need help with a program come ask here

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Vaurnut
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Small milkshape question

Post by Vaurnut » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:17 pm

Hi. I'm new at modding. If someone more experienced than I could give me some tips on the creation of loops and rings in milkshape I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
I wish I didnt have to do that. Why did I have to do that? - Sparks

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:30 pm

I don't believe that there is a simple way of making rings in ms3d.

However, what you can do is make a sphere and cut the poles off of it, leaving 4 stacks around the equator. It is probably best to have an odd number of stacks.

Move the verticies that are most distant from the equator through the center of the "ring" so that they are somewhat higher than the most distant verticies on the opposite side of the equator. You can select all of them from a side view.

Now, snap together the appropriate verticies around the ring to close the gap.

Move the rings of verticies that join the stacks together along the ring's axis to make the structure look more like a ring.

Alternatively, you can leave only one stack in step one. You can duplicate this ring and resize it so that it fits into the original. You can close the gap by creating faces along the edges. Also, you'd have to reverse the vertex order on the inner part of the ring since the "back" side will be visible.

edit: texturing rings may be somewhat more difficult than texturing spheres. If you want to apply a custom texture map, you'd have to texture the inner and the outer parts as well as the "front" and "back" views separately.

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:27 pm

It can be a slow process sometimes. If you're aiming for not a perfectly round ring, I suggest creating a box and continuing to duplicate and rotate until you have a ring. This creates more of a octagon-ish shape though. :)

Surma
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Surma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:10 am

either that, or, you just make a cylinder.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Tools ------> Extended Primitives

In modding terms a ring is commonly known as a Torus or Donut.