SFC conversion crashes

Need help with a program come ask here

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

SFC conversion crashes

Post by graviton » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:48 pm

Alright, so I've been going through the Battleclinic site and looking for a few ships that are not too bad on polys that I could convert to SOD for my mod. I've found a bunch of models I like, and most of them open up fine. However, several models cause a crash of MS3D on loading. I can list them if you want.

I think it *might* be related to RAM, since most of the models open fine and some don't. These are my system specs: P4 1.6 gigahertz, 512 megabytes system RAM, 128 megabytes dedicated graphics memory. I have Milkshape 3D 1.7.10 and the unlocked plugins.

So, has anyone had this problem before? :?

Surma
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Surma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:15 am

What is the poly count? 1-10k? 10-100k? i have worked with 100k models (subsurf in blender :)) and it doesnt cause crash. i have 1GB RAM. Also, what format are the files you import? I have had problems importing XSI where ms crashes.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Milkshape relies heavily on memory. More so than some of the top level modelling utilities. 512mb will get you around 6000 polys before milkshape starts to cause problems. At 10k 512mb will just plain give up. I have 3gb in my machine and I can load up to around 65k although milkshape does take a bit longer than usual to finish loading.

Secondly SFC based models are in .MOD format. These models suffer from one common thing. That thing being that most are saved using a single mesh grouping, which can cause a serious headache when reconverting to SOD. The textures need to be converted from BMP to TGA (you can use compressed TGA's but the game does prefer uncompressed (loading does take a bit longer though). Texture size is also a serious factor. With 512mb don't go any higher than 512*512 pixels as you may find that textures don't appear properly or at all (white model syndome).

Even if your able to successfully split a model, reload its textures (after converting them) you can still suffer from something I term as "Black holes". To put it simply it simply its where single, random faces can be reversed causing black triangles to appear when conversion is completed.

There is one good thing though. If your planning on converting a lot of models and you believe its worth it get hold of a program called "Ultimate Unwrap 3d" (available from www.unwrap3d.com) as you can resave using the programs MS3d plugin but save by texture grouping. This effectively auto splits the models into seperate groups according to texture instead of a single mesh group. Once I started using it, I've found it extremely useful.