Need help with a program come ask here

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

assainator
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

milkshape exporter

Post by assainator » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:53 am

heeey,

i've made some models in milkshape and put the exporter for armada 1 in in the milkshape folden but it just won't export. does anyone know what i should do?

assainator

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:13 pm

Exactly what files did you put in the Milkshape folder?
Melior Posco Venia Quam Scisco Licentia

assainator
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by assainator » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 am

all the .dll's from: MilkShape Plugins R4 No Installer.zip
i downloaded it from: milkshape3d.com---> downloads
i unpacked it, and put it in the milkshape folder.

it doesn't work

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:33 pm

Huh...it works for me :?

assainator
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by assainator » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:41 pm

oops, i found out i downloaded the wrong one but gave it the same name!
it works now.

but i have a new question:

what do i need to do so my ship can be build by the federation?
because the only thing i know how to do is export and import and joint but that's all.

thanks

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:02 am

All you need is the Armada odf files in your addon folder (you can download those off this site if you don't have them). Open the one that says fyard (or fyard2, if you want to build it with the Sovereign and Nebula. Actually, before opening the file, it's probably in Read Only mode so get it out of that first. Now, go down to where it says:

//Construction Parameters

buildItem0 = "fscout"
buildItem1 = "fdestroy"
buildItem2 = "fcruise1"
buildItem3 = "fcruise2"

//Hardpoint location for building.
buildHardpoint = "build"

and add your own line:

buildItem4 = "whatever the file name is for your ship"

under buildItem3. Now you'll need the tech tree files (I don't remember whether or not those came with the odf's or not, but if not I'm sure they're here too). Those need to be in the addon folder too. Go ahead and add:

whatever the name of your ship is.odf 0

under the fsuperbl.odf line (I assume you could actually put it anywhere on the fed list, but whatever). You'll have to do this in each tech tree, or at least all of the ones that you plan to use.

Then, if you haven't, you'd better be sure that your ship has an odf file for it. I would suggest copying the odf from whatever ship in the game is already most like it, changing the file name to exactly what the name of your SOD model is (you have to for the game to know what model to associate with the odf), and going in and changing whatever values you need to.

That should do it! Next time you play, y'ought to be able to build your ship. (Don't be discouraged if you don't see a button for it- the black space after the Steamrunner will still act as a button for your ship. You can make your own buttons, but if you want to see your ship in-game as fast as possible, you'll certainly want to skip that step for now.)

Enjoy. Uh, and just as an after-thought, I was wondering what your ship(s) was (were).

assainator
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by assainator » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:36 pm

thank you so much!
i am not done yet but because of your explanation i'm good on the way

i have another 2 question:
1. does someone know the name for the kind of weapon the scouts use in an .odf file?
i mean the weapon looking like a plasma cannon. (the "venture" class excepted)

2. does the basics explained above also work for stations?

and i want to post some pictures here of my ship but i know how to do that.

but about the ship i'm working on: it's a ship from ogame, the battleship.
i'm trying to make a complete mod for myself.

and i know i'm a noob if it's about modding but you are helping me so much, thank again!

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Sure thing! In response to your new questions, adding stations does work the same way. Plus, the venture scout's weapon is called spulse. The easiest way to determine weapon names in the future is to look in the odf of the ship that carries the weapon. But what you might like better is to use ftpulse, because the venture pulse is impotent and inaccurate. As for getting pictures onto the site, the way I do it is to first upload the pictures I want to some other site (it helps that I have a freewebs website) then hit that Img button below the subject line of this site's post-writer. After the text that appears you write the address of the picture and then press the Img button again. It's a very touchy operation on this site, so it might not work the first time.

Don't know anything about "ogame", I'll have to give it a look, though. Once again hoping all of this helps/ best regards/ stuff!

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:03 pm

Hey assainator, welcome to the site :)

Just a few things I wanted to add here.

Make sure that your ship odf and sod files have no more than 8 characters such as "shipname.odf". Longer filesnames might cause the game to crash. Same goes for practically every other file in the game. Almost everyone runs into this problem at some point so I though I'd give you a heads up :P

Also, if the game suddely starts to crash on load or while running, don't be discouraged. Simple typos are generally the culprit behind most crashes and can be fixed with a careful look at the code. :)

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:09 pm

To add a station, just open up the construction ship ODF that you want to build it with eg. "fconst.odf" for the Feds and add it as if it were a ship.

Mr Vulcan:
The 8-character filename limit applies to ODFs, I'm sure, but I don't think it applied to SPR or TGA files in the game. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:58 pm

Graviton,

You're right; sprite and texture files do not have this limit. Not sure what I was thinking at the time. :P Thanks for pointing that out.

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:49 pm

Thanks to Mr. Vulcan and Graviton... I should've mentioned that stuff (although, I didn't even know that sprites and textures didn't have a character limit!) I think that a big part of what makes this site rock is the way that everyone's really supportive of the new people.

assainator
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

it won't work

Post by assainator » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:17 am

somehow i can't get my ship in the game.

i put the .sod of the ship in the SOD folder,
(does it make any difference if it is .sod or .SOD?)
i put in all techtrees: slag.odf 1 fyard.odf
i put the .odf in the addon folder
i gave the .odf and the .sod of the ship the same name with less than 8 characters
i put my ship into the list of build items for the shipyard.
i have all the neccery hardpoints in my model
i gave the hardpoints a function (not all of them but i tought it wouldn't make a difference)

but i still does not show up.

and if i click in the black space in the build pannel (in-game) nothing happens,

before i put everything in the gamefolders, i could build the audiciaus class, but i can't anymore and my AI- opponent still can.

could someone please help me?

assainator
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by assainator » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:44 am

doci7 wrote: Enjoy. Uh, and just as an after-thought, I was wondering what your ship(s) was (were).
well i have 2 pictures of it:

http://uni9.ogame.nl/evolution/gebaeude/207.gif
http://www.ogame.nl/img/battleship_t.jpg

i did not made them but new you have a idea about what i'm making, i'm trying to make a mod of ogame.

but could someone plz help me with my problem?

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:19 am

Ok, first, check that the build item number is not already in use. If you've added the ship into the first shipyard, the line should say:

buildItem4 = "slag"

Second, which ship did you use as a template for the new odf? Make sure that there isn't a "BaseName" or "isHero" line anywhere in it.

Before clicking on the space where the button should be, hover overe the spot and see if a tooltip appears. If it does but you still can't build the ship, check the techtree entries again.

You might also want to make a button for the ship just to be sure. The procedure couldn't be simpler :)

-Open gui_global.spr in the sprites folder.
-At the end of the"# Federation build buttons" list, add

b_shipname texturename 0 0 64 64

The simplest is to create a 64x64 pixels texture for one button. You can also have more than one button per texture file. The "location" on the texture is specified with the first two numbers (0 0 in this case). The following two numbers specify the dimentions of the button texture in pixels (Width and height).

A button with a 64x64 size texture file needs to be added under

@reference=64

If you've added the button at the end of the lsit, you'll see that this line already appears several lines above.

Lastly, not sure if you've already done this, the ship textures need to be in the textures/RGB folder. Not having the textures there will not prevent the ship from appearing in game, but it'll appear all white.

Oh, and having either .SOD or .sod does not make a difference.