Getting a model from MS3D to 3D max while preserving nodes

Need help with a program come ask here

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Surma
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Getting a model from MS3D to 3D max while preserving nodes

Post by Surma » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:14 pm

I recently acquired 3d max 5 and intend to retool to that instead of milkshape. Now, i dont feel like redoing the node hierarchies for my models, so i wonder if there is a file format that i can export to in milkshape that includes the joints and is imported correctly into max.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:27 pm

The simple answer is no. The thing is, and this is speaking from my own experience, You really don't need to solely switch over to 3dmax. Just continue 3d modelling in Milkshape but export from Milkshape to Autodesk .3DS. Then import the 3ds file to 3dmax and add the models hardpoints. I've always found that because I know Milkshape better than max and have used it more extensively so thats my own method. You may find it useful to do the same.

Its either than or your stuck with having to rehardpoint every model you've previously done.

Surma
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Surma » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:30 am

Darn, i needed to do some joint rotation. Thing is it seems i have to retexture it too, cause that isnt preserved either. I actually do my models in blender and prep them in ms, but since you can select faces from the 3d view in max it will be easier there.

Thank you for the help though!