3d max 5 problem..........

Need help with a program come ask here

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

3d max 5 problem..........

Post by MajorPayne » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

......and I don't think theres a solution either.

Okay so the program installs fine but the cdilla dll files that the max 5 requires to run are totally incompatible with windows 7. I've tried installing them in compatibility mode with zero success.

Has anyone out there managed to get max 5 working with windows 7 and if so, how??

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:42 am

I've usually installed via XP emulation or installing on XP and moving it over to Windows7 - I don't know of another way I'm afraid :oops:

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:23 am

I haven't found a solution, but partly because I am still running XP on the machine I do modding on. I'd be very interested in any solutions ppl find.

Do you mean XP emulation as in using something like virtual PC?

The cdilla dll files are for copy protection. I wonder if there is a way to set compatibility settings for dll's like you would for running exe's. Or am I just showing that I don't really know what I'm talking about :P

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 am

MrVulcan. I'm sad to say that its not just max5 that has problems. Windows 7 piece of shoot is going to be replaced by XP as I had it on my original machine. If you ever get Starcraft 2 for god sake don't install it on a Windows 7 based machine. Infact don't use 7 for ANY gaming.

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:49 pm

Only my lab machine is running Win7, so I haven't tried games on that. It'll take some explaining to convince my prof that Armada or CivIV are there for improved work productivity ;)

My bro is running Win7 for all his gaming, and hasn't had too much trouble. But I suspect that's only because his graphics and main boards are more than a few years old. Plus, 64 bit systems still have a hard time getting along with older games... his is 32-bit.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:22 am

Well At least one thing is clear. I've narrowed it down to one possibility. The games installer is incompatible with my dvd drive and dvd re-writer. After having successfully installed the game and transfered the folder and its contents to my main pc the game (Star Craft 2) is working fine.

Very strange. Now I'll just have to dig out my A2 disc.

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:12 am

I have win7 64 bit and it works fine with all the games I've tried on it - loads of my ancient games (like Civ3 and Simcity4) still work on it without issue :)

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Dominus, very interesting. Do you mind if I ask what processor and graphics card you are using? Armada works fine too?

Maybe there's hope yet in making Win7 work to our advantage :)

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:19 am

Sure :)

I have a Core i7 QM (quad) @ 2.2Ghz, 6GB Ram and a Nvidia GeForce GT 540M @ 2.00GB

I run Armada II using the patch project. I don't have A1 unfortunately, and I'm not sure if it could be run without some driver rollbacks due to its audio issues on newer computers. I can ask how Doca runs it, as he uses it a lot for Fleet Ops :).