Hardpoints question

Need help with a program come ask here

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Hardpoints question

Post by galac » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:57 am

Maybe is not best explaination, but here it is..Using Milkshape I converted ships from MOD (SFC) to SOD...Ships work fine in game, however I have troubles with "adding hardpoints"...
I have hierarchy for converted ships (damage, shield, root, etc.) and then I add "hardpoints" in 3DS Max, with clone option or pointing object and (re)naming it to e.g. "hp01" and I move it to desired position.. Than I export SOD model, and in odf file I set than weapon should be fired from "hp01"...but in game nothing happens, and ship doesn't fire anything...When I set weapon hardpoints on "borg", "root", it's firing...
So, what I'm doing wrong??
Thank you in advance for answer.

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Re: Hardpoints question

Post by MrVulcan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:14 am

Are you using the Sod exporter script? or the official sod plugin? A1 or A2?

Make sure that the hardpoints are actually attached to the hierarchy. With the script, the export begins from "root" node and goes through the entire tree, but will ignore anything that's not attached to this tree.

You can try to use the sod importer for 3dsmax to see what's actually in the model (maybe the HPs are not exported).

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:12 pm

I export sod from Milkshape with plugin provided with program... than I imort sod into 3ds max..and there's hierarchy already but without "HPs"... how can I access tree?? Perhaps then, I can add "HP"s...

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:43 pm

galac wrote:I export sod from Milkshape with plugin provided with program...
This tells me that something is incorrect in the way the nodes (HP's, etc) are set up in Milkshape. I'm not an expert in Milkshape, but I suspect that all objects/nodes must also be connected under one "tree". Make sure that spelling of the "hardpoints" node is correct. I believe Milkshape exporter requires correct spelling for all key nodes (hardpoints, damage, lights, etc).

Also, were any of the hardpoints rotated? I don't remember how its done now, but I believe one of the steps was to delete the final node after rotation? If this makes no sense, please disregard. Just some on the fly thinking.

Lastly, if you want to add the hardpoints in 3dsmax, I strongly recommend to use the SOD 3dsmax exporter script (in downloads). just clone one of the point helpers, or create a new one, and name it whatever you want (not limited to HP##, can be "myHP", "blah". Only limitation is that it can't start with "s_", "c_", "e_". (With old plugin, name must follow "HP##".)

Attach the new point helper to anything in the tree. Usually, one would have a "hardpoints" node to hep with organization, but it is not necessary.

There is a tree browser/view button in the toolbar called "schematic view". I don't recall what the button looks like in the new versions of 3dsmax. Look over any tutorial on "schematic view" in 3dsmax to help with usage.

Let me know if you encounter any difficulties.

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:00 am

Thx mrVulcan for reply. I found a way. I copy one of objects, point helpers (name it as you like) e.g. "borg" and I rename it with hp**.. Than using schematic window I add hp** to harpoints to already made hierarchy. And finally, weapons work! :)

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:36 am

Great :) Glad you got it working. Cheers

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:49 am

MrVulcan wrote:Great :) Glad you got it working. Cheers
Hi MrVulcan.. I dont want to start new thread cause of this "silly" question :D How can I set starting units on map in instant action in A1?? By deafult there are starbase, 2 constructors and scout...I'd like to add hero ships to each race on game start..( Enterprise-E, Martok, etc..) Thanks in advacne, Galac

MrVulcan

Post by MrVulcan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Find

fed.odf
borg.odf
rom.odf
kling.odf

These files contain the default starting units for minimal, standard and "super" side tech. Add/remove lines as needed.

Cheers

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:23 am

Thanks, I've found it :)