new mod in the making

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

new mod in the making

Post by icewolf132 »

I am currently attempting to create a new mod for A1 that takes off a few months after the big battle against the Borg. Peace between the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon Empire is stronger as it has ever been, plus the Romulan’s are thinking about joining sides with the federation…but not everyone is thrilled about this new unity. Deep within the delta quadrant the collective has created 2 devastating weapons; a ship that can destroy almost an entire outpost with little effort and a new race that could destroy the entire universe…one of these may be to powerful for the collective to control.

I am using most of my free time to work on this mod (which isn’t very much due to school :cry: ). Right now im fighting between 2 names “Final Frontier” or “Revelation” (if any of these names are being used, PLZ TELL ME!), I probably wont decide on one until ive gotten almost half of it done. That’s pretty much it except for one final thing; I need your help!!…

Ive been looking all over for the following ships, but to no avail :( if you know where any of these can be found plz tell me *puppy eyes*

Federation:
Support ship (a mobile repair yard)
Super battleship

Klingon:
?Probe? (ive been trying to mod another kling sod to look like a probe, but no luck so far)
K’tinga weapons stats (is the only thing this ship fires is torps?)
Super battleship
?kling torp sounds? (I might convert the ones from SFC3 and use it if it works out ok)

Romulan:
Probe
Support ship (same as fed support ship)
Rommy K’tinga (looking for the ship AND weapon stats)
Supper battleship

And last but not least…

Borg:
Support ship

Some questions I have, some, to you, maybe dumb questions, others may be brain strainers :D

1 Is there anyway to switch a phasers..um.. ”looks” from a .tga to a sod? Ive tried this several times, but the only place it got me to is my desktop

2 is there a way that you can make the tractor beam “hold” a ship and toe it like in the star trek series? (if possible, it would only be put on heavy ships for obvious reasons, though it would be funny to see a nova class tractoring a Warbird)

3 how can you modify the transporter? Is it a “hidden” ODF or is it in the core files?

4 how can I temporarily get rid of the grid?

I thank you for taking the time to read this post. Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated
Star Trekkin' across the universe, because I STILL can't find reverse!

Usage Permission; All are free to use and edit my work in any way they see fit, so long as credit is given where it is due.
MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: new mod in the making

Post by MajorPayne »

Federation:
Support ship (a mobile repair yard) :Not sure but there exists a mobile shipyard which is just that. A shipyard with a single warp nacelle and small bridge module attached (hasn't been made to my knowledge yet)
Super battleship: http://www.ussmiranda.com/ships/titan.htm could be a likely suggestion. The models been made as both a high poly CGI model and lower poly (in the region of 4000 polys which is to high for A1/A2) model for SFC3. This model could be rebuilt as a lower poly model for Armada but you would need to secure the SFC3 model and permission from the original creator.

Klingon:

K’tinga weapons stats (is the only thing this ship fires is torps?): Use www.google.com and make a generalised search. You could try some information from www.ditl.org but becareful of whats canon info and whats not.
Super battleship: Difficult to make a suggestion but you could try one of the many modellers on http://forums.taldren.com/ubbthreads/ub ... p?Cat=&C=3 perhaps one of them might be able to help you or provide useful references.
?kling torp sounds? I would suggest either SFC3 or try to get hold of the ones from Klingon Academy

Romulan:

Rommy K’tinga: There has been several versions for SFC2 made and I think one or two might (and I stress the word) be low enough poly count for Armada.
Supper battleship: Romulan Kerchan class on http://www.startrekaustralia.com/ is your best bet. I believe this mesh has been made but I'm not sure by who.

Borg:
Support ship: Hmmmm, I've got alot of new models for the borg in my BI2 project. perhaps one of those might be suitable.

1 Is there anyway to switch a phasers..um.. ”looks” from a .tga to a sod? Ive tried this several times, but the only place it got me to is my desktop

If you check the likes of the special weapon for the borg holding beam then theres a command specific to the usage of SOD based geometry

2 is there a way that you can make the tractor beam “hold” a ship and toe it like in the star trek series? (if possible, it would only be put on heavy ships for obvious reasons, though it would be funny to see a nova class tractoring a Warbird)

I believe certain aspects of the tractor are hardcoded as no-ones come forward to states that a tractor can tow a non-engine disabled ship as yet. As for your Nova tractor a warbird. Easily possible even in canon trek, as long as the warbird engines were offline or dead.

3 how can you modify the transporter? Is it a “hidden” ODF or is it in the core files?
RTS_CFG.H file contains the variables for the tractor usage. Open said file with wordpad and edit to your hearts content. Just remember how many crew you have per ship before editing it.

4 how can I temporarily get rid of the grid?
the G key on your main keyboard should suffice for both Armada games.[/img]
Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus »

I have a sod for federation Pearl Class Mobile repair yard and Klingon MRF-8 Mobile repair yard. The Klingon yard could use a good retexturing but if you are not too picky the current texture should work. Both are designs from the FASA star trek rpg/tactical rules books. If you give me an email address to send them to I will prep them for you. I just ask that credit for mesh and textures on them be given in the mod.

EDIT- Actually on second thought, the files might be too big for me to mail... I may just upload them to AFC for public use, but will state now:
You have my persmission to use Federation Pearl Class (Fpearl.sod) and Klingon Mobile Yard (KMRFS8.sod) in your mod.
If you dont see them uploaded to "Online Upload Section" by Friday, Private Message me to remind me. (that is if you are interested in the models in first place... LOL)
Today's People are Tomorrows Fossil Fuels - Dion Williams
Terradyhne
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Terradyhne »

MajorPayne wrote:Federation:
Support ship (a mobile repair yard) :Not sure but there exists a mobile shipyard which is just that. A shipyard with a single warp nacelle and small bridge module attached (hasn't been made to my knowledge yet)
Super battleship: http://www.ussmiranda.com/ships/titan.htm could be a likely suggestion. The models been made as both a high poly CGI model and lower poly (in the region of 4000 polys which is to high for A1/A2) model for SFC3. This model could be rebuilt as a lower poly model for Armada but you would need to secure the SFC3 model and permission from the original creator.
you meen this i think
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/ ... _aztec.jpg

and i have done it but can't get the animation for the collapsing of that thing to work right
Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus »

I know what you mean. Mine are kinda close (after much work) but not exact in the folding... sod refuses to export properly. grrr... oh well.
The Pearl class is kinda similar except the bridge and warp nacelle are on the side instead of on top.

The Klingon one has bridge and warp nacelles on bottom
cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 »

Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus »

OK found I had the time to get wireframes and build buttons made for the mobile ship yards.

Have been uploaded:

https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/updo ... n=download

Names:

Fpearl.zip

KMRFS8.ZIP

I hope this helps!
And for everyone else, if you need them, they are there!
MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne »

Yep Terra. Thats the one. I new I had seen it before, although I think theres another styling which has what looks like a TNG Sovvy nacelle slaped on the top instead.
icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 »

@ Straxus: ty very much for alowing me to use your kling & fed mobile repair yard, this will help me out alot! to me the textures are pretty good :D.

@ MaP: thx alot for the info. ditl.com will help me out lot when it comes to some of the tmp and tng ships.

ok, ive got a question about race files in A1; can you add a new race file (NOT a new playable race, just a .odf file like breen.odf) by its self? if not then can you please tell me how to add a new race file?

EDIT: i also need to know if you can get the AI to build ships when its playing as a non-playable race (exam: the jem'hedar in the 1st borg 1 player mission) in an instant action map

Usage Permission; All are free to use and edit my work in any way they see fit, so long as credit is given where it is due.
icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

good news and bad news

Post by icewolf132 »

ok, first ill give out the bad news: there has been some change of plans, the repair yard isnt working out to good (most of the ships want to orbit the yard instead of going into it, plus when the yard is moving while a ships being repaird, the ship tends to stay in the same place and "leave" the yard :x), i havent been able to get alot done because of school work and spring work (grades are a wee bit more importaint right now, and if you saw what the last few storms did out side, youd be out there cleaning up to).

now for some good news: im almost completly done with the beta testing of the added ships and afew of the new weapons. ive decided that this mod would be a semi-cannon mod; meaning that in some places it would be like the TV series, and other places it will be completly new. ive also decided on the name: final frontier, if this name is being used, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

the following is a list of stuff that im trying to find, if you know where to find them/have any info on them please let me know :|

federation:

(the probes have been cut out of the game, now the only things that will beable to disable the cloak is the sensor platforms. ive found a repair ship for the feds)

feddy questions: 1. (this kinda fits in with all races) what is the ODF weapon code that forces a ship thats been hit with a beam type weapon to decloak? (the phaser beam wont to any damage) 2. (again, this fits with ALL races, but feddys first so..:D) can some one *PLEASE* help me with the AI?? each time i add a new ship to it, the game crashes. ive double checked all ODF and TT files so the problem isnt there, can some one help me out? 3. new federation "time stop" sod, why a new one? it lags the game up to much (to many pollys prehaps?) does anyone know of a .sod that looks like time is being alittle warped but it wont warp out the game?

Klingon:
(repair ship already found)

future k'tinga varent (something that looks like it came from the same time period as the A1 time ship (cant think of its name :x)

klingon questions: does anyone realy like the gravity mine? in your opinion how could it be made beter?

Romulan:
repair ship (i already have one, but id like to have a romulan bird of prey instead, anyone know where a moderen (TNG refit) one can be found? if not then its ok)

romulan questions: none now.

Borg:
(ive goten all of the ships i want for the borg, but if you can help me find a borg pyramid, id greatly apriciate it)

pyramid

borg questions: 1. multi holding beams and assimilators; i know theres one already out there, but ive been trying to make it a toggle weapon, but to no avail

general questions: 1. how can i make a non-playable race build in a multi player map? or is this not possible? 2. how can you make a dilith. freighter fire at an enemy? 3. is there any way you can you make the AI use self destruct when one of they're ships is about to die?

thats pretty much it, thanks in advance and to everyone for your help and suport -icewolf

icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 »

ok, ive updated the last "needed" list posted (^its the one above this one^). ive done everything i can/know of to get the AI to work, but to no avail , if anyone can spare some time to help me out or make the AI i would greatly apriciate it! (you would recive full credit for the AI and a BIG thank you from me) if not, then the mod will not have any AI suport. im trying to make the final frontier mod under 3 megs due to my email limits, and gratitude to the dial up users (yes, i feel your pain..dial up sucks ) (this cut out afew of the ships i liked, but that doesnt mean the mod will have a big chunk missing) if the completed mod is under 3 megs then i might add afew more ships or weapons...maybe afew more maps, but the bigest pain right now is the size. oh! heres a little tip that will save you a pain in the butt; before launching A1, make sure that Storm3D isnt active...trust me, unless you want S3D screwed up MAKE SURE ITS CLOSED BEFORE LAUNCHING ARMADA (i speak from experiance )

whohaw15
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by whohaw15 »

icewolf132 why not do everything that u want and then divide it up into multiple parts
Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom »

I think I made a Romulan BOP TNG Version before I cant remember, but these :

Romulan Kerchan

Klingon Cargoship [Perhaps]

Klingon D-7 Upgrade so im told but there u go lol

Maybe good additions to your fleets.

As for the tractor beam. I have searched as have the Tense team and have discovered that the settings for what to lock onto are hardcoded so you can use the tractor in conjunction with the engineoverload so that when u disable engines on a ship, the tractorbeam automatically locks on, though I havent tested it yet thats how I think were gonna do it :)

Ad'

Post by Guest »

icewolf132 wrote:2 is there a way that you can make the tractor beam “hold” a ship and toe it like in the star trek series? (if possible, it would only be put on heavy ships for obvious reasons, though it would be funny to see a nova class tractoring a Warbird)

In case you didn't know, a runabout towed a Cardassian Galor class warship in the first episode of DS9...
Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom »

There is no friction in space (Nor sound but there u go) so if you hit something that had no engines it would continue moving

Its also why there is an Error with the Scimitar and the Enterprise E ramming

When the Enterprise Rams the Scimitar the Scimitar would have been forced backwards and at an angle as it was moving to port so it would have been pushed. Then the error when the Scimitar reverses as the Enterprise would have had to have been reversing to be pulled out else it would have remained inside the Scimitar

:)

But it still makes for a great movie

Ad'