Species 8472 mod for Armada 1

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

jazznaz898
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Species 8472 mod for Armada 1

Post by jazznaz898 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:00 pm

Hey people im working on a mod for Armada 1. It features Adding Species 8472 as a new playable race. I've already got the some of the basic models, from ben maxwells site. I had actually finished the mod ages ago, but saw it as unworthy to release on the net due to Un-original models(eg: cardassian adv shipyard from a2 as the mining station, and ships that didnt even look remotly 8472 as constuction ships, etc... :oops: ) and because i was a noobie modder(not to say that i still aint). So when my old computer got formatted, and i forgot to back up the data, it all went down the drain.

But now i create my own models and ships, :D and basic textures(im not very good at textures, i just find images and cut and paste what mite be useful :oops: ).

Any way i need some help in the way of Designs and textures, and maybe coding. I have basic knowledge on coding, eg creating ship odf's(using other ships as templates) and weapons(using original weapons as templates).

Im using Species 8472 Models converted from a2 that i found on ben maxwells site, and am giving him credit for them(just so nobody gets pi**ed at me :D . So far ive completed the mining station, the shipyard, the construction ship, and mining ship, and i've made odf files for the Scout ship, the cruiser, the battle ship and the frigate. Now all i gotta do find some ppl with ideas, and designs for weapons, stations etc, to maybe put forward some ideas, and they will get credit in the readme as well. I mite need coders for advanced weapons and stuff like that, coz i just got basic skills.

So anybody with an interest, or a need for more info, just post a reply. Keep in mind that im only 15 and im in year 9, so i have other things to worry about as well like skool work (im everybody else has other things as well) :( , so i cant commit all my time to the mod I mainly work on it on the weekends and nights after skool (about 4:30 australian time, coz that be were i live)

I already have some basic ideas, and i mainly use msn messenger to talk to ppl, so anybody with msn AND some basic skill would be great!
My msn account is
Oakeydokey89@hotmail.com

Be warned. If I see this kind of language in a reply of yours again then you may face a temporary or permanant ban. If you wish to swear in this manner then do so in the appropriate part of the forum and not general modding - Major A Payne

Regards, Jazznaz898
Old Klingon Proverb - "Revenge is a dish best served cold"

jazznaz898
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jazznaz898 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:03 pm

Just in case anybody was watchin this thread and was interested in progress on the mod, i have some pretty good news. I found a cd last nite that contained some stuff from my previous unreleased mod, from when i backed up my entire game folder... It had species 8472 sounds, and wireframes for the original 8472 units, and they all work fine in armada, YAY :D !!! But, i still need some ideas for other races, so if anybody wants to help in that area... or any area for that matter, i would appreciate it... This mod is based on the fact that these races are allies with each other.. example:

Federation and species 8472 are allied(the federation and 8472 DO become allies in a voyager episode)

Klingon and ???????

Romulan and ???????

Borg and ???????

I was thinking that any original star trek races would be good if anybody knows if they are allied to the above races... Otherwise i have some 'NON-star trek universe' races in mind, that would fit in as good allies with some races(in my mind) eg: Kilngons - Yaujta(predator)

Any ideas? post in this forum

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:50 pm

i-+ would say the most obvious one would be romulan and reman. you get the feeling at the end of nemisis that the romulans are in a bit of a mess and the feds come in to help. i'm sure this would lead to the adoption of a more 'fed like' coexistance with the remans.

klingons and cardassians - personal choice really. after ds9 finale the cardassians were on their knees, the romulans had taken a kicking and the feds were just glad it was over. my personal belief is that the cardys and klingons have they same lust for powerand that this would draw them together as allies, the klingons aiding the rebuilding process while teaching the cardys a thing or two about honour.

finally the borg and...
THE BORG

voyager was not all that bad a series to tell you the truth, but i hate it for one reason. it made the borg look soft. in fc and tng they were all but unstopable and this is how it should have been.
i would like to see a mod that has the borg at the very peak of the scale, 1 ship can take out almost all of a base, that sort of thing. the balance could be that a borg player must evolve up to faster vessels or more powerful cubes (though the early ones would look identical) have the early ones crawl along (slower even than a construction ship) this will give them time to build up a base and also allow the other races time to build up. if the borg were able to attack with such ferocity early on then the game would be over in minutes

theres just some of my suggestions

hope it goes well

rob
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

jazznaz898
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jazznaz898 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:19 pm

Thanx for the suggestions rob. I think i might use the romulan-reman
and the borg-borg ideas. The klingon cardassian option seems to me to be the most logical choice, but the predators are sooooooo cool and also very violent, and they hold honour very high in thier society, just like klingons... oh well. I'll choose whatever i choose...
Now all i need is some reman info(i havnt seen ST: Nemesis :oops: ), but ive heard a bit about them, and i mite need an modeler to contribute, or just design some reman ships. I mainly make species 8472 ships, and other ships of easier design, so making reman ships mite prove to be a bit of a challenge. I like your borg suggestions as well, i also thought that the cube was a bit of an understatment of borg power in Armada. And i agree that there would have to be some kind of limit on how early they are able to construct, or use some types of Cube. Definatly sumfin to think about, so thanx again for the ideas. Also anybody with ideas on how to add extra races to armada 1 without losing the originals, but keeping the new races independant (new guis and computer sounds arnt needed though), is more than welcome to express there thoughts here :) . i had some wierd ideas that were theoritical, and prob wouldnt work.

So remember ppl, Ideas? post them in this thread plz

jazznaz898
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jazznaz898 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:27 pm

And im also thinking about maybe a small team to work on the mod... Nobody can do anything completly by themselves(or at least not me :P )
it would be my first sorta group of modders that im workin on a mod with as well, so anybody who is interested in helping me on my modding journey, just ask... my email is:

oakeydokey89@hotmail.com

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:04 am

ask the other moddelers out there for any material they might let u use

in the Future Tense mod the Rommies and Reman are 1 race each have their own bases and ships ask Adam aka Phantom bout more info on the mod :)

jazznaz898
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jazznaz898 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:13 pm

thanx cecil i know phantom on msn so next time hes on i mite ask...

jazznaz898
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jazznaz898 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:30 pm

I have come to the conclusion that im not gonna create a whole new tech or anything special so that the races are all seperate. I think that it would waste a lot of time. so, im just gonna add each new race to thier allied team and make them just like an extension. plus the ai will probably be easier to code this way... so easy that i mite be able to do it :P . so if any of u modders out there dont know what i mean(which i doubt) it is just basicly making a crossover unit, like a federation quantum singularity to let through a single species 8472 ship, from which u can build off. that way i only have to add onto the existing ai files, instead of creat new ones.

jazznaz898
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jazznaz898 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:22 pm

Ok some good news ive got a whole load of sounds for species 8472 and cardassians, and ive added a whole load of units, all species 8472. the scout, destroyer, cruiser, launcher, battle ship, frigate and the mother. Stations that ive added are the species 8472 ship yard, mining facility, and the research station. All the species 8472 textures are from a2(forgive me for borrowing them, but im pretty bad at makin textures...) i still have to make the special weapons, some more facilities. I also have a bunch of cardassian units, mainly ben maxwells a2 conversions and some other stuff that i need permission to use. Any body wanting to contribute is welcome

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:29 pm

Wow! This sounds like a great idea. Though I haven't played Armada I in a while, I think that's a great idea to finally have Species 8472 in Armada I!

jazznaz898
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jazznaz898 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:46 pm

Thanx elrond for the encouragement... But, the end of the holidays draws near, and the armada modding creature inside me will have to go into hibernation, once again... The last time it did that it stayed dormant for like 2 years as well :oops: ... But, never fear, maybe i can wake it up on weekends and those long nights after school with a packet of schmacko's.

sgtrevill
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by sgtrevill » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:18 pm

Ok i like the idea for the

romulan-reman

but klingon and card's no.....properly klingon and the nusicans.

And how about the Borg and the New Collitive

If you remmber the voy episode with that woman from wolf 359. And she used chcotay to bring the ppl on the planet together.

Any way this is just my idea.

Achilles
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Achilles » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:22 am

how about

dominion axis (card/jem)
Borg
Kling/Rom

the absence of the federation is no accident btw :)

this is my ideal mod except not 8472, I'd just keep rom/kling separate and maybe add the reman as a support race.

jazznaz898
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jazznaz898 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:50 pm

Hmm Maybe a total race replacment mod is in order :? Except the borg... The borg must stay... But they will have A whole load of new ships/stations and maybe some new special weapons, providing i can think of some... I have complete sound sets for cardassians and Species 8472, so they will come in handy. And then i need new special weapons for the cards... Well if i do it this way it means that i can forget the Idea of a fluidic rift (thank god), and a wholw load of work... But School is here, which means that i've got HOMEWORK!! :x

jazznaz898
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jazznaz898 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:53 pm

Also do any of u other modders know of a LOW COST, EASY TO USE Hardpoint adding utility that isnt ASSIMVIEW?? i dunno about u guys, but i reckon that program is a pain in da Butt