Ablative Armour, Firing Arcs and Torpedo Complements

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:40 pm

would this method work in A1? sounds awsome and if you modified the SOD to be an 'amoured' version of the ship its applied to i think we would have our uber armour.

ooowwww i've gone all tingley just thinking about it,

please please say it can be applied to A1 :D
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:31 pm

so basically what you're saying is that you found a way to create individual weapon arrays? awesome...so now if a ship has a certain number of torp launchers we can simulate that by using a weapons pod.. so if i have for instance...hp22 and hp23 or burst torpedo launchers i can have a weapons pod that includes hp22 AND hp 23 or does this work for single hardpoints only? kind of curious and if a ship carries a complement of 300 torps that should be 150 for each hardpoint right? Also Elrond...any luck with the "corbomite armor" ? just kind of curious and do you know anything about the aft weapon arcs? I have all the forward arcs figured out but the aft ones elude me totally.
Last edited by CptBenSisko on Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Benjamin Sisko of the U.S.S. Defiant

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:00 pm

i've not tried it myself but when you apply a hardpoint there are a set of axis showing. i was under the impression that the red 1 was the direction of the hardpoints 'firearc' if the weapon applied to it was required to use firearcs. so would it not be a simple case of aiming that red axis in the direction you want?

rob

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:06 am

don't know. gonna have to look into this.. see if hardpoint rotation is possible...very interesting idea

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:06 am

don't know. gonna have to look into this.. see if hardpoint rotation is possible...very interesting idea

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:29 am

I'm not sure about the weapons arc stuff - but I think that can be applied to a specific pod that you build on a ship - like say you build one pod on the front of the ship for forward photons and one on the aft for aft photons - both pods could have a different weapon. The front pod would have a weapon that works with firing forward and the rear pod would have a weapon that fires from the rear. Actually, it can automatically be done because the pods, though they are and remain connected to the ship, actually fire independently of the ship.
Now I think this can be done in Armada I. I started modding Armada I for a few weeks until Armada II came out - then I started doing stuff with Armada II. But I think that since Armada I has the pod class, research class, and other variable aspects (such as ship = 1, repair = 1, etc) that THIS MOD IS SURE ENOUGH POSSIBLE IN ARMADA I. I AM 95% SURE OF THAT!
Now the corbomite reflector is a different thing. The only way I have found to use a different SOD file for the Corbomite Reflector is to go into your SOD folder and look for the file, Wcorbrfr.SOD. Rename it Wcorbrfr_backup.SOD (that is so you can go back to it). Then, copy the SOD of the ship your using with the Corb. Reflector and paste - it will be called, for instance, "copy of fente.SOD". You would rename this to Wcorbrfr.SOD (which would make the corbomite reflector have this SOD). However, here's the crazy thing. I used the corbomite reflector with the Enterprise-E SOD in place of the original Wcorbrfr.SOD - guess what happened!? All that happened is that a skinnier and elongated version of the Enterprise-E appeared through the hull, though it was oriented correctly.
This looked quite unrealistic. The only way I can think of to counteract this is to create a new ship model that would be around 1/4 shorter and two times wider - that SOD could be named Wcorbrfr.SOD so that the corbomite reflector would model the Enterprise-E. However, in Armada II, you can't do this with all ships. The reflectWeapon classLabel only applies to the Wcorbrfr.SOD file and nothing else! So that means only the Enterprise could have a corbomite reflector that would look realistic, for instance. Also, another ship could have that ability too, but only one ship at a time could be modded to do this.
It's a classLabel problem that can only be fully countered by editting the sourcecode in some way. I tried putting the lines, baseName = "fente" and even shotGeometry = "fente", but none of this had any affect - it still used the default Wcorbrfr.SOD model. The reference to this file does not appear in the corb. reflector odf, so there's really no way of changing this!
If we were to create a corbomite reflector that looked like the Enterprise-E or even another ship, we would have to shorten it by 25% and widen it by 100%. We would also add an armor texture to that file that would make it look like the Enterprise deployed armor! But, this can't be done with more than one ship - if you use the Enterprise-E, then that's the only ship that would look good with the Corbomite Reflector!
In my new mod, the pods themselves are like the research pods on a research station - they remain connected to their base's station until it is either decommissioned or destroyed. My mod is different from research pods - now we have genuine weapon pods that act as a torpedo launcher, or whatever you want to have it do! Another cool thing is that each pod you add to a ship would be a different pod. Each pod could act either as a way to have more special weapons, or to provide realistic finite torpedoes (meaning photons run out according to special energy settings). Note that this does not add more energy bars to the ship - these pods are independent of the ship, though they do depend on the ship much as a research pod depends on its research station.
I have a few different files for this. I have a test ship called "ftester.odf" that is actually a modded Nautilus class ship. This ship is the ship that builds the pods that remain on the hull. The ship has five pods, fpodweapon01.odf, fpodweapon02.odf, fpodweapon03.odf, fpodweapon04.odf, and fpodweapon05.odf. These pods can be placed in any folder - I placed them in the stations folder. The ship is of course in the ships folder. Each pod is specialized. The two pods that build on the front of the ship contain photons, as does the pod that appears on the rear of the ship. Each pod has a cloak and cloak enhancer (like the Scimitar). Some pods are special weapons pods that supplement additional weapons to the test ship. This is a great advantage because up to now, only 6 special weapons buttons could appear on a ship - now with more pods, this limitation doesn't really matter. Each pod can be selected as you would select a ship and each has its own weapons and special weapons buttons! I just added a holding beam to one of the pods to test it out. Since the pod has no crew, the weapon just holds any enemy in-place without transporting crew aboard.
When I upload this mod, it may be in bare-bones form - that means that the pods will have blank weapons spaces so that you can add your own weapons at your discretion. Many of my weapons are modded, so they won't work unless I send them along as well, which would make the files in the upload complicated to go through. I may just put standard weapons on the pods and the test ship and then put // in front of the other weapons and after that put something like "place your weapon here!"
I know this is long again, but just had to talk about how this works. It was a good turn of luck that led me to resolve the problem of how to do all this, but it still proved that the idea is possible. Well, since I've written pretty much a whole chapter to a book in just this thread, I may just put some of this in my readme file that I submit with the mod. I don't know when I'm going to submit it - I want to make sure there are no bugs to correct. If there are, I'll release a version 1.1 patch of the mod if problems arise.
As far as the firing arcs and torpedo compliments, that's not too much of a problem now that it's possible to do without messing around with classLabels. However, the corbomite reflector idea may only work with what I said above. The classLabel restrictions won't allow a lot of this unless there's another good way to do that. The torpedo compliments are possible, however, in Armada II and I presume that they will be effective in Armada I.

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:34 pm

Elrond...just like the elf in LOTR you simply are the MAN!!! Glad to hear an idea I had has been fully developed...I simply love the fact that weapon complements are now possible...I am probably only going to use them for torpedos but I might consider using them for phasers as well. but the phasers need to last a hell of a lot longer than the torps do...now does each pod draw its energy from the special energy bar on the ship or does it have its own special energy? if it has its own, which i imagine is what you have created, that is absolutely phenominal and exactly what I want..I hope some of the FleetOps guys are reading this thread...would be a great thing to include in either Beta 4 or Beta 5...

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:45 pm

Sure would be a cool thing to have in fleet ops! The pods don't actually draw from the ship's special energy but from their own. The pods have their own energy bars, therefore this is the only way I've found thus far to have more than one special energy connected to a ship - with pods.
The pods that go on the aft part of a vessel fire to the aft of the ship, so that torpedoes don't go through the ship. Firing arcs I think can work in other ways, but in this way, the pods each have their own individual settings that can be used just like they were another ship, except that they are connected to the ship. I actually am trying to try this with shipyards - using a big research station that researches shipyards instead of pods. That means that you can end up with one whole base that has shipyards connected to it. It's like a Unimatrix, except for whatever race's station you want to use it for. Here I will reveal the secret of doing this.
First, you can create a few files, one called "station_movable.odf", one called "station_research_movable.odf", and one called "station_pod_movable.odf". Each of these files have their own unique characteristics and can be included in a ship, for instance. To make a ship a movable research station, you would use the station_research_movable.odf file. A pod with weapons can inlucde the station_pod_movable.odf file. A station that just moves (like if you want a shipyard or station to move) would reference the station_movable.odf file.

01. First is the station_movable.odf file. It looks like this:
#include "station.odf"
enginesHitPoints = 730
weaponsHitPoints = 730
enginesTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02"
weaponsTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02"
facility = 1
shipType = "N"
alwaysRecomputeRallyPoint = 1
alert = 1
combat = 1
ship = 1
is_starbase = 0
builder_ship = 1
can_explore = 1
transporter = 1
SHOW_MOVEMENT_AUTONOMY = 1
SHOW_SW_AUTONOMY = 1
can_repair = 1
can_sandd = 1
physicsFile = "battphys.odf"

02. The second file, "station_research_movable.odf" looks like this:
#include "research.odf"
enginesHitPoints = 730
weaponsHitPoints = 730
enginesTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02"
weaponsTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02"
facility = 1
shipType = "N"
alert = 1
combat = 1
ship = 1
is_starbase = 0
builder_ship = 1
can_explore = 1
transporter = 1
SHOW_SW_AUTONOMY = 1
can_repair = 1
can_sandd = 1

03. The "station_research_movable.odf" file looks like this:
#include "pod.odf"
enginesHitPoints = 730
weaponsHitPoints = 730
//enginesTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02"
//weaponsTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02"
facility = 1
shipType = "N"
alert = 1
combat = 1
ship = 1
is_starbase = 0
builder_ship = 1
can_explore = 1
transporter = 1
SHOW_SW_AUTONOMY = 1
can_repair = 1
can_sandd = 1
avoidMe = 0

You must also add in your new research ship these lines:
podHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02" "hp07" "hp08" "hp15"
buildItem0 = "fpodweapon01"
buildItem1 = "fpodweapon02"
buildItem2 = "fpodweapon03"
buildItem3 = "fpodweapon04"
buildItem4 = "fpodweapon05"

These lines will allow your new test ship to build new pods. The hardpoints and pod names shown above will not reflect the actual ones you may add to a ship - these were used on a Nautilus-class ship. I placed the hardpoints by trial and error since I didn't have the hardpoint map available.

It is by using the aspects of these files that you can make a station, research station, or pod move. Actually, I don't think the pods need to move since they are connected to the ship and follow it without using engines. However, the research and station movable files allow stations and research stations to be able to be moved. Actually, you can avoid making a station_research_movable.odf file by just adding in the #include "station_movable.odf" and #include "research.odf" lines to your research ship.
In this mod, this actually makes the game more moddable in that it allows for additional starship components to be created.
Another issue I found is that if you have all pods available to build on your ship, then they will all end up at different hardpoints everytime. For instance, fpodweapon01 may end up on the front of the ship one time and then on the side of the ship the next time. To prevent this, the techtree file must be configured so that for fpodweapon02 to build, fpodweapon01 must be built first. The following example explains this:

tech1.tt:
fpodweapon01 1 ftester.odf
fpodweapon02 1 fpodweapon01.odf
fpodweapon03 1 fpodweapon02.odf
fpodweapon04 1 fpodweapon03.odf
fpodweapon05 1 fpodweapon04.odf

The ftester.odf is the ship that is used to research the pods. Doing it this way makes sure that the pods are placed exactly where they should be each and every time you play the game. Some may wonder why they should care that the pods be placed in these places. Well, if the first two pods end up on the front tip of the ship, these two pods can have photon torpedoes that fire from the front of the ship. It doesn't look too great to have a photon firing from a warp engine or the side of your ship. Also, the last pod, fpodweapon05, has the same photon torpedo that the forward pods have, except it will fire from the rear if needed. The middle pods, 3 and 4, contain special weapons such as a shield-penetrating transport (like the holding beam) and the Sabotage Team (which is like a combination of the shield disruptor and the federation repair team).

My new mod, which I have been working on for two years, contains a lot of ships - maybe too many for a simple game play. There are almost 80 federation ships, 33 borg ships, 50 federation stations, 30 klingon and borg stations, etc. There are also more weapons and a torpedo and phaser for every ship and station! Balancing the strengths of the ships has been my biggest goal until I found out how to put pods on ships. Anyway, in the new mod, which is now called the Supercivilizations Mod V1.1, I have new splash screen and new bitmaps. My next goal is to do sort of what fleet ops did and have 80x80 build buttons instead of the 64x64 build buttons we're all used to seeing. There are other things I'd like to do with the game, like being able to have a corbomite shield that looks like an armored version of the ship that is using it. That's something I found that is impossible except for changing sourcecode.
My modding evolved from early 2002 when I learned how to cheat in Armada 2 (make ships stronger and add better weapons). Then I used Paint Shop Pro to edit the textures and bitmaps, and then the AI, techtrees, and sprite files. It's turned my game around for the best. My biggest issue is usually file management - backing up files, synchronizing newer and better (and working) files. The whole mod takes up 112 MB of space in an RAR file. The new ship pod mod takes up just a small number of kilobytes! Everything works great except that it can be hard to select the pods if you want to use specific special weapons or change the special weapons autonomy! Well, that's about all with the modding sector of the game!

Also, thanks for the LOTR elf compliment - yep, I'm a Lord of the Rings dude. This is what I like about Star Trek - to share the ideas that make for a really cool and realistic game! This site and these forums are what we all envision humanity to be like in the future! :)

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:30 pm

@elrond- the elf dude :)

For the uber armour i was thinking more along the lines of using your pod system. When a ship wanted to deploy armour it would click to build the pod (which we would give a 1sec or so build time, and would have really big health, like 10000 or some such figure) this pod would have an 'armoured' version of the original ship for an sod.
if the pod is placed near the center of the ship mesh i'm assuming when its built it will form over the original mesh and hide the ship under an armour version.

the only downside with this is that to lower the armour you would have to decomission to pod (though i suppose this isnt a really big issue) would there be some way of giving it a lifespan like the gemini effect? once built it will last 5 minutes say, then disintergate. either way if the armour sod can be aligned with the ship this would work.

good idea?
p.s. have you tried this in A1?, i know you said it looks possible was just wondering if you've tried it?

rob

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:36 pm

Elrond are you going to upload this mod to Armada Fleet Command...Can't wait for the release.

If not email it to me...i'd like to be the first one, besides you, to try it.

ddb5@snip.net

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:59 am

A little confused.. i created the .odfs like you said..now i want to add the weapons pods to my ship specifically my sovereign class..so which line do i put? the line #include "station_research_movable.odf" or #include "station_pod_movable.odf"? After that how do i alter the pod so that it contains photons or quantums? and say i want to use hp67 or an aft torp do i have to have a pod called Fedpod67.odf? or can i use any pod and simply have it connected to that hardpoint? Also my sovereign i am editing for fleetops has 4 standard photon launchers, 1 rapid fire quantum launcher and 4 burst fire photon launchers... can i simply put a line in the pod so that it looks at my .odfs? for instance if i have a launcher ftype4burst.odf, can i put a line in the pod that says #include "ftype4burst.odf" ? or is it done another way? And if i want multiple launchers usually to keep them from firing all at once i put 4 hardpoints for each weapon will i have to do that with the pods?...And for the special energy on the pods do i simply add the line maxSpecialEnergy = ### and specialEnergyRate = ###? Thanx for ur time and dedication..i hope you can answer my questions...

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:56 pm

Sorry about that delay - my internet's been acting up. Here is some information you will need. There are several pod files you will need to create. You also need a test ship, like ftester.odf. The pod files in my mod are called fpodweapon01.odf, fpodweapon02.odf, and so on to fpodweapon05.odf. Here's a sample pod file for this. Do not use an existing pod for this or it may not work right. The tester ship odf file looks like this:

#include "station_research_movable.odf" //"research.odf"
unitName = "Test Ship"
baseName = "" // ***This is whatever you want to use for your test ship!
tooltip = "Test Ship"
race = "federation"
buildTime = 1.0
officerCost = 0
crewCost = 300
dilithiumCost = 0
metalCost = 0
maxHealth = 300000
shieldRate = 2540
shieldProtection = 1.0
maxSpecialEnergy = 100
specialEnergyRate = 60

crewHitPercent = 0.0f
rangeScan = 2200.0f
damagedScan = 700.0
shieldDelay = 0.000005f
boardingPartyStrength = 5600.0
shieldGeneratorHitPoints = 73000
enginesHitPoints = 73000
weaponsHitPoints = 73000
lifeSupportHitPoints = 73000
sensorsHitPoints = 73000

//These weapons and hardpoints you may change as you wish.
weapon1 = "hcorbom"
weaponHardPoints1 = "hp04" "hp13"
weapon2 = "gfedrep"
weaponHardpoints2 = "hp12" "hp15"

//These hardpoints may be different for the ship you use.
podHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02" "hp07" "hp08" "hp15"
buildItem0 = "fpodweapon01"
buildItem1 = "fpodweapon02"
buildItem2 = "fpodweapon03"
buildItem3 = "fpodweapon04"
buildItem4 = "fpodweapon05"
//buildItem5 = "fpodweapon06"

possibleCraftNames = "Test Ship"

// This will be different for whatever ship you select!
enginesTargetHardpoints = "hp17" "hp18"
lifeSupportTargetHardpoints = "hp15" "hp16"
weaponsTargetHardpoints = "hp19" "hp20" "hp21" "hp22"
shieldGeneratorTargetHardpoints = "hp28" "hp29" "hp30" "hp31" "hp32" "hp33"
sensorsTargetHardpoints = "hp28" "hp29" "hp30" "hp31" "hp32" "hp33"
hullTargetHardpoints = "hp23" "hp24"
criticalTargetHardpoints = "hp32" "hp33"

intrinsicValue = 1.00f

// For some reason, Captain Picard commands the test ship! :lol:
eventSelect = "PicardSelect"
eventAcknowledge = "PicardAcknowledge"
eventAttack = "PicardAttack"
eventRedAlert = "PicardRedAlert"
eventYellowAlert = "PicardYellowAlert"
eventGreenAlert = "PicardGreenAlert"
eventStop = "PicardStop"
eventMove = "PicardMove"
eventRepair = "PicardRepair"
eventDecommission = "PicardDecommission"
eventTransport = "PicardTransport"
eventSelfDestruct = "PicardSelfDestruct"

hotkeyLabel = "HOTKEY_F6"

attackPower = 1.40f
intrinsicValue = 1.0f
weaponYellow = 1.5f
weaponRed = 5.0f
// Scale: 976.8 meters:
ScaleSOD = 0.447611147976 //0.895222295952
physicsFile = ".odf" // *** change the physics file to whatever you like!
facility = 1 // *** this makes it so this ship can recrew.
recrewRate = 850
//repairRate = 299000

// This stuff is what is in the file this odf refers to, so I don't have to have it here!
//shipType = "N"
//alwaysRecomputeRallyPoint = 1
//alert = 1
//combat = 1
//ship = 1
//is_starbase = 0
//builder_ship = 1
//can_explore = 1
//transporter = 1
//SHOW_MOVEMENT_AUTONOMY = 1
//SHOW_SW_AUTONOMY = 1
//can_repair = 1
//can_sandd = 1

This stuff you'll need to modify a bit depending on what ship you're going to use for your test ship. The next file is a sample pod file. Be sure to create five new pods as I have. Just copy the following into each file and make each file have different weapons as you may need to have some pods with torpedos, some with phasers, then others with special weapons. Adjust the special energies to what you want them to be.

#include "station_pod_movable.odf"
unitName = "Weapon Pod 01"
tooltip = "Weapon Pod 01"
verboseTooltip = "Weapon Pod 01 - Auto Phaser, Cloak, and Cloak Enhancer"
race = "federation"
dilithiumCost = 0
metalCost = 0
latinumCost = 0
officerCost = 0
buildTime = 1.0
maxSpecialEnergy = 200
specialEnergyRate = 0
// We want this small so that it doesn't look completely stupid on a ship! :lol:
ScaleSOD = 0.02 //1.2
hotkeyLabel = "HOTKEY_F1"
recyclesInPlace = 1

// These weapons and hardpoints can be changed at your own
// discretion - make sure the hp's match the SOD you use for this.
// To select the SOD you use, change the value in the quotes after
// baseName = .
weapon1 = "photon_fed_pod01"
weaponHardpoints1 = "hp01" "hp02" "hp03" "hp04" "hp05" "hp06"
weapon2 = "gfpcloak"
weaponHardpoints2 = "hp01" "hp02" "hp03" "hp04" "hp05" "hp06"
weapon3 = "grscimcloaken"
weaponHardpoints3 = "hp01" "hp02" "hp03" "hp04" "hp05" "hp06"

buildItem0 = "fbase2"

// The next lines are so that the pod has engines (if it needs them) and
// weapons, which it WILL need! :D
enginesHitPoints = 6000000
weaponsHitPoints = 6000000
physicsFile = ".odf" // I don't know if this really needs a physics file.
//Rem the physics file out if you find you don't need it!
baseName = "" //Put in the quotes any SOD model you want to use
//for your pod!
// This is so that the ship doesn't fly all over the place to avoid the pods!
// All of these weapons pods must have this line so that your ship doesn't
// try to avoid it or reject it!
avoidMe = 0

As you see above, you must make sure all pods have necessary hit points info (enginesHitPoints and weaponsHitPoints), which are also in the file that it refers to (station_pod_movable.odf). The avoidMe = 0 line is necessary so that the ships don't flop around the screen like ships having a seizure! :lol: The baseName = "" can be any model SOD file that you put in the quotes. Also, make sure the hardpoints match the model SOD you use. Equally as important is being certain that any weapons you put in the weapons lines match weapon odf files that you have. You could use "fc1phot" for instance, as your primary photon torpedo. If this doesn't work, that means that you have selected the wrong weapon or SOD file.
Now on to what you were having trouble with. A ship that builds pods would be considered a research station, though it's still a ship as well. That means for the ship you must use the #include "station_research_movable.odf" file. The pods you will build on your ship will all have the #include "station_pod_movable.odf" file. I really don't know why I put the word movable after the station_pod in the "station_pod_movable.odf" file. In actuality, the pod doesn't move - it's the ship that moves, causing the pods to move with it. If anything, the pods are special because they can use weapons! :twisted:
To use weapons on the pods, use the lines I placed above for the pods. The pods work exactly like ships or statons, since they are stations. They can contain weapons like a ship or station can by using the "weapon1 = " and "weaponHardpoints1 = " lines in your pod files. The same goes for the special energy lines - they will simply go in the pod files, as the pods are stations themselves, except now they have weapons where regular research pods just sat there and gathered dust at the research center.
This method may be a good idea for anyone who wants to make every station in the game have weapons and engines. I currently finished my shipyard research facility. The facility itself is almost as big as Deep Space 9 and it can contain five shipyards - this I did because I have a ton of shipyards since I have a killa-ton of ships for the Federation side! :P
I'm planning on placing this mod on this site in the next day or so - that's if everything still works by then. I'm still trying to find a suitable pod to use for firing weapons from a ship with these pods. The big idea with this mod is that you must find the most suitable pod SOD for your pod - it could be a station, construction ship, or anything you choose for the baseName = line. I recommend using the fedpod15 SOD that looks like a grey wedge thingy. Scaling down the SOD on the pod odf files will make the pods virtually invisible. And the only way you will be able to select these pods is to either select the entire ship and its pods, or know where the pods are located on the ship and carefully select it precisely.
Well, thank you for your interest in this mod. All is working well so far. I considered this mod so important that I encrypted the files until I submit my files to AFC. After last month, when I suspected my computer was being taken over remotely over the net, I began new policies in file backup that include multi-level encryption and multi-media backup. With all the crazy self-installers on the net, I had to completely reinstall windows about a week ago because I couldn't access Internet Explorer - at all! :? Just today, I found that I had set my security settings too high. For example, to log in on armadafleetcommand.com, browser cookies must be enabled to be able to log in. Since I had my browser set to not accept cookies, I had to change my settings, and so everything worked! :)
If you have any more problems, I'd be happy to help you combat these problems with the mod. However, the mod will be released soon, so you will be able to copy the files, edit the techtrees and gui_global.spr files, place your new ship in a shipyard, then play the game. In the game, you will only have to build the ship from a shipyard and then click on the ship and select research button to build your pods - then your set! The toughest part now is finding out if I have all necessary file references and creating the readme.txt file (which takes a lot to write). Well, until then, good luck with your modding. This mod would be a great addition to fleet ops!

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:20 pm

can i only use one hardpoint per weapon if i choose to? dont wanna have multiple hardpoints wanna have one for one quantum launcher and one hp for one photon launcher..you da elf..er i mean man elrond.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:42 pm

You da man too! :D
Anyway, you can have just one hardpoint - I just used a lot of hardpoints since I had to use trial and error to figure out if my pod had these hardpoints somewhere.
By the way, Sisko was the best Star Trek captain! 8)

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:59 pm

soo....hehe...pod hardpoints indicate the pods location on the ship.sod and the hardpoints on the pod.odf indicate the hardpoints on the pod itself..soo having this in my fweaponpod1.odf

weapon1 = "federation_sovnemquantrap"
weaponHardpoints1 = "hp14"

weapon2 = "federation_sovnemquant"
weaponHardpoints2 = "hp14"

i have to be sure that hp14 exists on my pod

and i should use a pod SOD and rename it to fweaponpod1.SOD? am i on the right track here?

edit:also one other thing...I have just viewed some fedpod15 like you suggested but there are no hardpoints on it? how can i specifiy hardpoints if there are none?