Problem with building in Instant Action Mode

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Problem with building in Instant Action Mode

Post by Elrond » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:04 am

OK - here's the problem:

My mod of Armada II is working pretty well besides some minor ship and weapons balance inaccuracies. However, the game doesn't act 'right' in Instant Action mode. The game doesn't crash or do anything that critical; however, when I go to build a station, the placeholder for the station shows up for a split second and then disappears before I get a chance to place the structure. Basically, it acts like I right-clicked before building the station, eventhough I didn't. This also goes the same for anything that uses a button, except ship building. Ship building works alright because once the button is pressed, ship construction begins. The problem appears in things that require a target - such as using a special weapon that requires a target object (whether it be a ship, station, planet, or location) or building a station. The problem does not include the firing of phasers, photons, or disruptor weapons.
The button for the special weapon or station build button can be pressed, but the problem arises during the time that I am searching for a target location (such as when building a station or using transwarp drive) or searching for a target station or ship. What happens, as I said, is I cannot left-click in time to build a station where I want to build it, for instance. As you can see, it is quite difficult to understand. What I think is happening is that while the enemy is building its stations and ships, the greater the load on the map, the harder it gets for me to move fast enough to build the station after I press the button for the station I want to build. I don't know what file or files are bringing this about, as I have already went through all AI, odf files, tech trees, sprite files, and the files in the Armada II folder itself. Also, I must mention that this problem doesn't arise right off the bat when I begin an instant action game, but does or can appear as the action proceeds (this is how I feel that it is the amount of additional map objects that is causing the malfunction).
It may be necessary to state that I have about 70 Federation ships, 26 Borg vessels, 38 Borg stations, and 59 Federation stations (that includes the pods as well). I also have a vessel or two added to the Klingon race, two Klingon stations, 5 Romulan ships (the Scimitar, Valdore, Valdore Refit, Valdore Battle mode, and the Nierrh class Romulan destroyer). Along with stations and ships, I have a good number of special weapons I added to the game to give my newer ships different abilities than the others. Many of the ships also have their own photons, phasers, and/or pulse weapons. The interface for the game I also changed (that has worked effectively before in all testing). I have a different GUI for each race. The map editor works well with my modifications. It is just that 50% of the time the Instant Action game will give me that slight malfunction.
Lastly, I have considered that it may be my PC. My laptop is newer than my PC by four years (my PC is 800 MHz and my laptop is 3.0GHz). I have not tried the game on the laptop (at least through Instant Action mode). Until I get the time to test it on that computer, I am considering these other measures. There are no viruses nor are there any spyware modules operating on this system, as I have just reinstalled Windows XP. However, this problem has happened since last year and I had never addressed it until now. Also, sorry about the length of this. If any of you have experienced the same and you know what it is I'm talking about, then I believe you may share my confusion upon this matter. Thank you - most of the problems I've had with Armada II modding in the past have been answered on this great Armada site - either in these forums or in the downloads sections! 8)

Captain_H
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Captain_H » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:25 am

Is your copy of Armada II patched? The patch seemed to have fix that problem.
Check out my Myspace page (still a work in progress but anyways)
http://www.myspace.com/captainh6440

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:52 am

Oh cool - thanks! I guess it wasn't just me that had this problem. I'm going to try the patch, which should work. Thanks! 8)

Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:43 am

I unfortunately get some of those problems even with the patch. (mainly the highlighted units de-selecting a second later) That alone is the main reason I personaly dont mod A2 anymore... It made playtest so stressful that I end up punching my computer...LOL
Today's People are Tomorrows Fossil Fuels - Dion Williams

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:45 am

One thing I tried is using the map editor. In place of instant action, it makes life a lot better! I don't get the same errors in map editor mode. To place in bzn mode, I'm sure you know that you press Ctrl+A to do this. If you load a single-player mission through the map editor and press Ctrl+A, the mission plays as it would in the regular game. Therefore, the bzn is a portal to this functionality - and most importantly, when I select a ship it doesn't deselect (not that I have seen yet). Maybe this is the only real solution to this so far, unless a new patch would come out that eliminates the problem altogether so that the game could operate at 100% functionality. I have been thinking about editing the game for my own purposes - not sure if it would be legal to submit an edited Armada2.exe file. I have some experience working with this kind of thing, so maybe while seeing what this problem is, I could even add a function to add new classLabels to the game (which means greater possibilities for the game, like creating a ship from a shockwave explosion or using starship sep on more than one vessel). Well, that's all in the future perhaps! :P