A new twist to an old ship

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

A new twist to an old ship

Post by CaptSyf » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:54 pm

We all have seen the Original starship, then its refit. Well, I was thinking awhile back, what would she look like in a more modern TNG setting. So I set about Making what I call the Montgomery Refit. That is, after Scott was rescued, he went back to starfleet. With the onset of the Dominion war, shipyard being hard pressed, They refit the Contitution class, and recommision her. So, here she is... Hope you like her.

So far, she is a little high in polycount to add yet, but I'm working on her to include in a MOD.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

Alohaman
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Alohaman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:14 pm

It's different I'll give you that, but it is still cool nonedaless.
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest."

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

CmdrJack
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by CmdrJack » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:11 pm

It's different, but I do like it. I would like to have it for A1 & A2.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:09 pm

This ship looks like a deadly contender! Even a Prometheus-class ship, which is 414 meters long, would be hard-pressed fighting this new Montgomery refit! Looking at the ship from the front is like looking down the muzzle of a cannon - I would not want to be an enemy of the Federation if I was to go up in a one-on-one fight with this ship! Looking at that deflector dish is like encountering an Excalibur-class starship with a small fleet of Klingon Bird-of-Preys! I'd say it's a different design that I could easily have fun with in the game! :D

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:43 am

I designed this ship with the thought in mind, that she was a Command Cruiser. So, that is why I went with the 1.5x + size of the "A". Basically, she was a proud ship, and will remain that way. I gave her the bulk needed to take on the most dreadful of Dominion ships, or a Romulan Warbird. It will have a galaxy's compliment of weapons and shields, about 15% less than a Sovereign. The comm-dish was inspired by the galaxy class, and wanted to come close to matching it in many ways. The main phaser array is the line at mid-saucer, but I will add some all about it.
Now, I am working to reduce the polycount, then work on the hiearchy. My goal for the polycount is 1200, which matches the romulan warbird (original A2). Currently, the polies are at 1600. I'll post the updated version as I get it done.

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:09 am

Hate to sound Vulcan but the design looks logical as a revamp of the original Big E. Great!

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:52 am

I have been working on this ship and making great progress. Now it's been re-done and I have it down to less than 850 polies. Now I have to retexture the modified parts. I also changed the nacelles to a more sovereign style(though very different at the same time). I'll post pics as soon as I retexture it.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:45 am

How many polygons can an Armada 2 ship handle?

Trekkie
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Trekkie » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:33 am

wouldnt go above about 1200 for anything other than a battle ship (or any not used much class) but even if this wouldnt be built much, i wouldnt go over about 1800-2000

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:16 am

Alot of "how many" polies can armada handle seems to be more of how much can your 3D card handle. I had an older system that I tested max limits on.
I took a ship of aroulnd 750 polies, and replicated it ingame. I had several other things going on in the game, when I got bored, and built a fleet of 5100+ ships before the game gave out and crashed. yes, it was bogged down, but it handles well in smaller #s. That system was an old AMD 1800+, 256 mb ddr pc2700 ram, and a geforce3 64-ddr 3D card. I haven't tried that since playing Zered003 online about a year ago.

note: I had set the build time to 10 on a shuttle, and it would spit them out as quick as you could click the build button.

As for my little ship here, it is "less than" 850 polies. So one should be able to build as many as one wants, to a respectable degree... :P

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Shes been refitted

Post by CaptSyf » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:18 am

Well, I got the refit of the refit done... She now weighs in at 844 polies! Here you go, take a look. Now I got the hiearchy to do, then run tests on her ingame...

Now what do you think? :D :D :D

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:16 am

CaptSyf wrote:built a fleet of 5100+ ships....
Oops...big typo, I meant 510+.... Sorry...I have been working long hours and have been very exhausted.

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:48 pm

Yes, it did make my system crash. My system was a xp 1600+, 256mb ram and onboard video. And it was using a broad band connection. While this confession brings me much shame. :( I can say I learned from the crash and have upgraded my system every chance I have had over the last year. Needless to say my system is very much better then it was. 8)

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:07 pm

I used to play Armada II on a 800MHz system with 32MB Video Memory, 256MB SDRAM. Now I play it on a 3.4GHz 1GHz DDR2 533MHz Ram with 256MB Video Memory (expensive as can be). I can dish out a heck of a lot of ships before it even starts slowing down. I didn't get it to crash yet because the game ended. 1000 Defiant destroyers and 250 Excaliburs is pretty much a good bet that no enemy will survive for long. Still didn't crash it! High on speed, low on $ after that purchase! :lol:
I don't know how many polys my system would take - but it's hopefully a lot! The new Constitution-Refit-Refit-Refit :P looks pretty good - scaling down the polys a little doesn't scale down quality all the time! Nice!

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Almost Done...yay!

Post by CaptSyf » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:10 pm

Well, I think I've got her pretty much done, except the game hiearchy(hitpoints,etc), and running tests on her in-game. I know I could add still more detail, just I am shooting to release her as a stand alone A2 plugin.
Now I don't have Armada 1 anymore, so, would there be someone willing to test her in A1? Well, as soon as I get her working in A2, I'll upload her, so those that want her, can use her. I'll make an odf, and build button, but not sure how to make a wireframe(I've tryed in the past, but can't seem to get the transparent background working). Anyway, I'll release her as beta version 0.1, so be looking for it..... I'll post to let you people know when she's ready for download.