Wormhole weapon for a1

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Wormhole weapon for a1

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:34 am

hi all, many of you may be familiar with the wormhole creator weapon thats in the galactic wars mod (and a few others i believe). i was wondering if there was a way to put a lifetime on the wormholes that are created. as the weapon stands once they're fired they remain till the end, but i was hoping to find a way for them to simply disappear after a given time (like the ion storn on the klingon sepecial ship) the reason being is that im looking into making a b5 jump point weapon that actually works in a1. the b5 a2 mod has a brilliant 1 but its not compatible with a1. straxus also had a go but couldnt get it to work right.

the theory is that youd select the weapon. target an entry point, target an exit point then send the ship through before it closes (ideally it would last maybe 5 sec), this lengthy proceedure simulates the time spent in hyperspace for the journey and also allows others to use the 'jump point' if they're in the right place at the right time (ie if pursuing the jumping vessel close enough you could follow the ship into its own jump point) it would also leave the vessel vulnerable while opening the jump point (this was seen in the episode when a narn cruiser opened a jump point but was destroyed before it could enter it)

any thoughts?
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:48 am

come on guys someones gotta have a clue what i'm on about. i'm trying to make a weapon along the lines of the ionstorm weapon but instead of the red cloud i want it to lay a wormhole that disappears after 10 seconds just like the ion cloud.

please! anybody?

Achilles
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Achilles » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:36 am

there's a life timer command in the 3rd odf I think

lifeTimer = 0

0 means infinite
1+ is in seconds I think

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:12 am

yeah that commands in the 3rd odf for the ionstorm weapon, it was set to 10sec so i just cut and pasted it over to the odf for the 'artificial wormhole' (i.e. 3rd odf of the weapon) and tried it out. nothing :( the wormholes were as permanent as ever.

thanks anyways achilles

anyone else?

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:29 am

Warmaster_Rob wrote:yeah that commands in the 3rd odf for the ionstorm weapon, it was set to 10sec so i just cut and pasted it over to the odf for the 'artificial wormhole' (i.e. 3rd odf of the weapon) and tried it out. nothing :( the wormholes were as permanent as ever.

thanks anyways achilles

anyone else?
i dont think anything can be perminent on a map unless u edit the map itself

i know i tryed making a few weapons for FT alas they all failed :(

Achilles
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Achilles » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:45 am

thats not right cec, I made an asteroid maker. a nebula maker. also the moon maker and wormhole creator are all permanent.

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:18 am

Achilles wrote:thats not right cec, I made an asteroid maker. a nebula maker. also the moon maker and wormhole creator are all permanent.
i stand corrected lol

must be the weapon i was trying to make lol

Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:01 pm

I have played arround with the wormhole weapon alot in the past and no matter what I did to the timer I could never get it to be temporary.

@Warmaster Rob: I got alot of emails about problems with my B5 jumpgate but personaly never could figure out why it didnt work for so many people. If you have no success on the Wormhole maker I could go back though with the B5 jumpgate and work with you on any problems that you might be having with it working.
yahoo messenger ID : gul_straxus
MSN messenger ID : luciferjack989@hotmail.com

if you want to get ahold of me on a messenger poggy, PM me first to set up a day and time. best times for me are after midnight (pacific time) till arround 6 am (pacific time)... (I am a night owl...)
Today's People are Tomorrows Fossil Fuels - Dion Williams

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:57 am

yeah i'l do that when i got a few minutes cheers straxus. as for your jumpgate, as i remember, it is based on the stock transwarp weapon for the borg correct? well i've noticed that this has 'animation' (ie the little green glowing thingy) when the vessel dissapears. the vessel then appears at the desired location with no visible animation, it just appears. from what i remember you had managed to get the weapon to repeat its animation with a tiny pause between them (no doubt in an effort to get it to play once at 1 end of the jump and again at the other end). however the weapon does both of these at the begining of the jump and then the vessels moves. and that was the problem most people were having.

'i really dont understand why this isnt working. the stock ionstorm weapon 'makes' a red nebula (usually a perminent map feature) that disappears after a given time. it should simply be a case of transfering the timer command over to the relevent file. i may have a go at creating other objects with this weapon and see if the command works for them. if it does then this may also solve a question of fighters that i had a while back.

cheers again guys

cheers anyway guys

QuantumHalo
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year
Location: Mordor, Thangrodrim or Angband, depending on the season

Post by QuantumHalo » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:34 am

As far as I can remember, the stock ionstorm uses the tp_ionstorm classlabel or something similar, with a timer. The file has spin and expansion commands and such like the wormhole... but isn't the same classlabel. It would seem from what has been said that the wormhole classlabel doesn't support duration commands, that the command is native the the ionstorm's classlabel. Same problem you'd have if you tried to give a ship a timer :P
Retired Modder
CG Animator

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:26 pm

after a night of testing i have to agree with QH, is tried loads of things, other nebulas, asteroids, vessels. most just appear and are perminent but i couldnt even get the vessels to work, desktop crash each and every time.

i really wish Activision would give up the source code for a1, these little hard code problems are fast mounting up to be real pains in the a***