Re: Star Trek Armada II - Commonly Encountered Problems

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:40 am

Hello folks,

This is Elrond, a veteran modder of Armada II - I'm discussing here today the commonly-encountered problems that many people have had while modding Armada II. First of all, the following is a list of certain variables a modder must understand to be able to mod the game without getting a ton of crashes, as we are all much too familiar with them:

01.) Input.map file in the Armada II install folder: This file contains hotkey information and defines what buttons can be used in the game to do certain actions (such as building, using special weapons, eliminating the interface, etc). Most people choose to ignore this file, as it doesn't seem to mean much as far as modding the game. It may mean a lot for those who want to use hotkeys in the game. Using the odf command (hotkeyLabel = "HOTKEY_F1") for a new ship or station or weapon you put in the game is not enough - this means even if you show the hotkey label in your odf file, that doesn't mean you can use F1 to build it. You have to edit the input.map file for this to work. You will see entries such as this:

# Iwo-Jima class
bc_fassault {
+ keyboard F11
- keyboard Control
- keyboard Shift
- keyboard Alt
}

The # sign in front of the "Iwo Jima Class" just means a comment - if you want to use comments in this file, you do so by using the # key.
The bc_fassault is a definition for using hotkeys - it is followed by a forward bracket. The prefix "bc_" indicates that this definition is a hotkey definition. The fassault is the odf name for the object. A reverse bracket is used at the end of the definition.
The + in front of keyboard inside the brackets indicates that you will be using the following key to build that item. Since F11 comes after the + keyboard command, you will be using the F11 key to build the ship. The - in front of keyboard on the next line means you won't be using Control, Shift, or Alt for this build item. If you were to use Control, for instance, you would have a + in front of that keyboard line.

That is essentially how you enter hotkey labels so that you can effectively use that hotkey in the game - hotkeyLabel command does not mean you can use that hotkey - it just displays the hotkey next to the ship or station you're building. Doing these entries in input.map ensures that you will be able to build these items with the hotkey you designate after "+ keyboard".

02.) Dynamic_Localized_Strings.h: This file stores tooltips and verboseTooltips for your ships and stations - also weapons and other things. A couple of lines in this file may look like this:

"FED_DEFIANTREFIT", "Defiant Class Refit",
"FED_DEFIANTREFIT_V", "Powerful Hull Shield",

The first part is the initial for the tooltips. In the Defiant Refit's odf file, the line tooltip would look like this: tooltip = "FED_DEFIANTREFIT". In the game, the tooltip "Defiant Class Refit" would show up, as this is the string associated with that initialization. All quotes in the dynamic_localized_strings.h file must surround these strings and their variable names (like FED_DEFIANTREFIT). They are all separated by commas, so if you are missing a comma or have extra or missing quotes, then the game will crash. This problem also occurs with odf files, as you must make sure there are an even amount of quotes and that each, for instance, ship name, is surrounded by double quotes - single quotes won't suffice. If you have the following lines in either the above file, the game will crash:

"FED_DEFIANTREFIT" "Defiant Class Refit", // Missing comma
"FED_DEFIANTREFIT", "Defiant Class Refit",, // Extra comma
"FED_DEFIANTREFIT, "Defiant Class Refit", // Missing quote mark
"FED_DEFIANTREFIT", "Defiant Class Refit"", // Too many quote marks

Similarly, if you do the following in an odf file, the game will crash:

Missing quote:
possibleCraftNames = "USS Banshee "USS Defiant" "USS Prometheus"

Too many quotes:
possibleCraftNames = ""USS Banshee"

No equals sign:
possibleCraftNames "USS Banshee"

Inappropriate/misspelled variable name:
pssibleCraftNames = "USS Banshee"

03.) AIP Files: (*.aip): Define how the AI will act/build:
The above errors I have encountered far too many times. You will also note that when editting AIP files (like the ones in the AI/AIPs folder of you Armada II install folder), there are quotation marks, commas, and numbers used. Take to note that there is much more concept to this field of modding Armada II. The concepts following will take time to learn in and out, but you can do it! The AIP files contain build lists that show what the AI (computer, enemy) will build. For instance:

"rbase", 1, 0, -1, 1, // Starbase

That line is correct. The first entry is the odf name of the item to build for the AI. Following all values are commas. The four numbers define how the AI builds this item. Here is what these numbers define:

..1st number: How many to build.
..2nd number: What base to build at (applies for stations only). Base 0 is typically the first base the enemy will build.
..3rd number: I'm not totally familiar with this, but apparently it can be negative. This number defines how many units can be built from this line (in lamens terms, it means how many times the unit can be built after being destroyed - if that number is 5, for instance, then the unit can be destroyed 5 times and be built again if resources are present). Resources play a big part in this - if the AI doesn't have enough dilithium, metal, biomatter, latinum, or crew, the AI won't build it. Also, if the enemy AI does not have the technology available to build the unit, then they simply won't build it and the AI will be stuck until they can.
..4th number: The tech level the item is built at. If positive, this number will define a new tech level (in the example above, the techlevel being defined is 1 - tech level one cannot be reached unless the first item in that tech level has a positive 1). If negative, this number means the maximum techlevel the AI should build this at. Since the above example is positive, it defines a new tech level - if it was negative, when tech level two was reached by a build unit that defined tech level two, then any unit defined for build in the AI that has a -1 for this number will not be built any longer. This gives the AI the option to advance and not build the same stupid units over and over and over again.

Of course, if you put a letter or other character besides a number in these number areas, the game will crash. If you misplace or have an extra comma, the game will crash. If you have on or more too many quotation marks in a row, the game will crash. If you are missing any quote marks, the game will crash. If you try to take out the brackets before or after the entries for the build list, the game will crash. In this section, I focus only on build list entries and at this time, unless you are an experienced modder, you should not edit anything else!

04.) Installing units in the game:
This section will explain how to install new units in a game. Based on what your download has available, some things will be left out. Some modders choose not to include odf files, build buttons, wireframes, Admirals Log images, etc. But installing a ship requires you to 1.) put the files in the right places and 2.) require you to place entries in AIP files, techtree files, sprite files, and possibly the input.map and dynamic_localized_strings.h files. If I have left anything out, I am confident you will find it in Westworld's Big Book of Modding (WBBM).

When you download a ship, the most basic components of the unit you will have is the model (the .SOD file) and textures (.tga files). The ship or station model (.SOD file) is necessary to be able to even think about using that unit in your game. The textures are also necessary - if you have no textures, the model will be white-colored only. To use this ship in a game, you must do two things next - make sure you have a odf file for the unit and input a techtree entry in the tech1.tt file in your techtree folder.

I will not discuss much about making odf files, as this information can be found in WBBM, mentioned above. What I will indicate is most of the major errors you may have in using odf files.

First of all, what I will say about odf files is that you have your command odf files (you don't usually mess with those), your other odf files (that you usually don't mess with either, unless editting physics files or other objects like map objects), your ships and stations, and then your special weapons and weapons. The ship and station odf files are pretty much the same - anything a ship can do a station can do as well - stations can move if you want them to. Ships can build pods and be moveable planets if you want them to - that's for advanced modders. Most of the time, you will not have any limitations on what crazy stuff you can do - just make sure you follow the following rules so that your game doesn't crash because of annoying (and usually small) odf file format violations:

..1.) Ships and stations may contain (usually do contain) the #include line. That may look like this: #include "battle.odf". This means that your ship or station's odf file has inherited the properties that are part of the battle.odf file. If you spell the variable name or filename enclosed in quotation marks wrong, the game will probably crash when you go to build the unit or build a unit that builds that unit! As I said before like 5 times, badly-placed quotation marks or non-existant quotation marks will ensure that your game crashes! If the filename in quotes doesn't exist, then you have another problem - but the effect is the same - the game will obviously crash.
..2.) When you go to install unit, the .SOD filename of the ship model and the .odf filename of the unit must be the same. If it isn't, the ship may show up as a white box with a crazy red looking insect thing - that's the Armada II universal symbol for "oops - no ship model - you or the modder messed up." For example, if you are installing the Ambassador class starship, the SOD filename of that ship might be "fambassador.SOD". But you had better make sure that the odf file is "fambassador.odf" or the ship won't display in the game and it will give you "THE BOX OF DEATH" with the crazy red insect thingy on it!!! :-) Now if you are going to use a odf file that has a different filename than the ship's SOD model filename, you will have to put in that odf file a line like the following:

baseName = "fambassador.SOD"

The most common example of doing this is like when you put the Enterprise-C in the game - the Enterprise-C was Ambassador class, so you'd probably like to use the Ambassador model for the Enterprise-C - just a little word of advice - canon games are much cooler to play. You might have an odf file called "fentc.odf" that uses the ambassador ship model and the line above will have to be used unless you are using another ambassador model for the Enterprise-C called "fentc.SOD". Since the Enterprise and other Hero Ships are heroes, the first fact of being a hero ship is that the hero is usually more powerful than its sister ships. The fentc.odf file would be made so that the ship can have more hull strength and shield strength, or maybe more weapons and other stuff not seen on normal Ambassador-Class starships. It is a hero ship's duty to be better than everyone else! When you have a hero ship, you da man!
..3.) Ship odf files can contain the following line, denoting what the name of a ship may be:
possibleCraftNames = "USS Ambassador" "USS Horatio" "USS Crazy Horse"
As I stated earlier in this FAQ, the possibleCraftNames line must follow the rules that are attached to odf files - the law of good spelling of the variables, including an = sign, and placing quotation marks where they should be.
..4.) For quotation mark errors, most of us don't want to have to hunt down and destroy these problems, as it requires looking through a bunch of code for missing or added quotation marks. I recommend that you download TextPad 4 - for this program, once you become experienced in it, can give you color-coded syntax handling that isn't available with other text programs. This will help you hunt down quotation mark errors, as anything after a quotation mark will be colored green in TextPad. If you have a bunch of text in your odf file that is in green, then there is either a quotation mark missing in that file, or there are too many quotation marks somewhere. To track that down, all you do is go back to around where the green starts and look at just that area of code for extra/missing quotation marks.
..5.) Combat units are units because they contain weapons (freighters and other support craft also have weapons). These weapons are designated this way:

weapon1 = "hcorbom"
weaponHardpoints1 = "hp01" "hp02" "hp03"

There are many things that can go wrong here - including the infamous "quotation mark nightmare" that I've mentioned like 10 times already! One thing that can go wrong is if you spell the weapon1 or weaponHardpoints1 wrong - the game will crash then, that's obvious - but if you've had it happened, you're not stupid, everyone mistypes and misspells - you've just categorized yourself as part of the human race!

Other weapon problems may be if the weapon filename in quotes is wrong. In the quotes after weapon1, you see hcorbom. Notice that the .odf extension is not included - it can be, but doesn't have to be. The main area of trouble you may get into is if you spell the hcorbom wrong. If you do this, the game will crash. If the file doesn't exist, the game will crash. If the weapon file contains an error in itself or the ordFile (ordinance file that some weapons refer to - mostly phasers, torpedoes, and pulses use ordinance files). If you have conquered all other errors and ruled them out, it's your weapons that are giving you problems.

In a weapons odf file (which may be in the special_weapons, weapons/pulse,phaser,photons folders), some have sprites. If you didn't define a sprite in your weapon.spr file (in your sprites folder) that is in that weapon, using the weapon will crash the game. To look more on this, see Westworld's Book of Modding, which I have referred to now about three times!

..05.) When you want to build a ship in the game (fambassador.odf), you must imply this in the tech1.tt file in your techtree folder. An entry in this file looks like this:

fambassador.odf 1 fyard2.odf

The first variable is the odf name of the ship you can build. The '1' in this instance means that this unit requires the presence of another ship or station (or pod). In this instance, the Ambassador requires just the Advanced Shipyard for the Federation.

Now, to build the ship, you must have a station or construction ship construct it - to do that, open a file such as a fconst.odf or fyard2.odf file and go to the build list. It looks like this:

buildItem0 = "fassault"
buildItem1 = "fcruise1"

That's just an example - other examples will have more than that. The most amount of build items a station or ship can have is 13 - from buildItem0 to buildItem12. If you already have 13 buildItems in your list, then you either have to remove another ship/station from the build list or add another shipyard to the game (using much the same methods you would use for installing any other unit). In this example, it could be fyard3.odf. If the ships you are building in fyard3.odf are more advanced ships and one of the ships in the fyard2.odf file are more advanced than the Ambassador class, you may consider looking at this:

In fyard2.odf:
buildItem11 = "fcruise3"
buildItem12 = "fgalaxy" //more advanced than the Ambassador

In fyard3.odf:
buildItem1 = "fambassador"

You can change the above to make it so that the Ambassador can be built before the Galaxy class battleship. Here's an example:

In fyard2.odf:
buildItem11 = "fcruise3"
buildItem12 = "fambassador"

In fyard3.odf
buildItem13 = "fgalaxy"

Doing this puts your ships both in order of strength and shipyard, since you would be building the Advanced Shipyard (fyard2) before building the Second Advanced Shipyard (fyard3).

Your ship will be able to be built now - as long as you eliminated odf file errors.

Well, since I have filled almost a page of text already, I will make this FAQ appendable (meaning that I will add more later in another post). Based on member comments, I will choose what would be prudent to include in the FAQ. Take in mind that most of the above may have been explained in Westworld's Big Book of Modding, but anything not covered there can be addressed here. The best advice I can give any beginning modder or any modder that may be having trouble with modding the game is to LOOK AT WESTWORLD'S BIG BOOK OF MODDING. I don't mean to scream there, but it is something that nonetheless must be stressed - Westworld definitely made one of the best if not the best tutorial ever for modding Armada and Armada II! If that doesn't answer your questions or solve your problems, this may be the right place for you to address your problems. The administrators, as well as many members, including myself, want people who have trouble to consult Westworld's Big Book of Modding because we believe it to be a virtual "Bible" for modding these games! If that doesn't cover your problem, we are most interested in helping you with your problem. And if you missed something in the Big Book of Modding, we are still interested in helping you solve these problems! Don't be afraid to ask questions and address your problems here as this is the forum for General Modding and will apply to all modding for either Armada I or II - though my expertise is in Armada II, as when that game came out, that's when I started modding. Issues concerning making or fixing old or new weapons and special weapons, making build buttons, wireframes, unit models, and textures were not covered yet in this FAQ. But those things I can answer questions on as well - I don't expect this FAQ to be complete, as it will be updated with each and every issue that is either not covered in the Big Book of Modding or just something you're concerned about. And I don't know how well this looks on the screen after I make it, but I hope it is well-organized and that you can be able to solve most of your problems using this FAQ.

Feel free to comment on issues you may have faced in modding, especially with Armada II. The questions I answer and the questions you address will become a part of this FAQ - and every question on modding is important, as the desire to learn to mod is something I can very much relate to! Modding is a major part of my life these days, as well as programming and science in all. My job and my girlfriend take presidence above modding much of the time, but modding is one of the greatest things that makes me happy and is relaxing. And answering your questions most likely brings me more appreciation than it would bring you from having your questions answered and problems solved - and that's saying a lot because I know when my modding skills were in their infancy, I was always very excited to learn something new - and even now I ask questions sometimes and when I get an answer, I really appreciate it because it's bringing me closer to making a kick-@$$ mod! :)

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:46 am

Bravo :D topic has been stickied

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:05 am

I dont' know about a thread as such (as theres one on A2files.com as well), but perhaps a downloadable user guide. As it is heres my addition (to early in the morning to be reading the whole thing):

- When replacing the stock units be very careful on the units footprint (the grided area around any unit thats blue (or is it green) normally and red if it overlaps something else). I have found that if the footprint of a station overlaps that of a planet the game will crash out completely.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:41 pm

Excellent advice, MajorPayne - I've had that happen as well! :)

KaBoom1701
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by KaBoom1701 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:34 pm

"03.) AIP Files: (*.aip): Define how the AI will act/build:
The above errors I have encountered far too many times. You will also note that when editting AIP files (like the ones in the AI/AIPs folder of you Armada II install folder), there are quotation marks, commas, and numbers used. Take to note that there is much more concept to this field of modding Armada II. The concepts following will take time to learn in and out, but you can do it! The AIP files contain build lists that show what the AI (computer, enemy) will build. For instance:

"rbase", 1, 0, -1, 1, // Starbase

That line is correct. The first entry is the odf name of the item to build for the AI. Following all values are commas. The four numbers define how the AI builds this item. Here is what these numbers define:

..1st number: How many to build.
..2nd number: What base to build at (applies for stations only). Base 0 is typically the first base the enemy will build.
..3rd number: I'm not totally familiar with this, but apparently it can be negative. This number defines how many units can be built from this line (in lamens terms, it means how many times the unit can be built after being destroyed - if that number is 5, for instance, then the unit can be destroyed 5 times and be built again if resources are present). Resources play a big part in this - if the AI doesn't have enough dilithium, metal, biomatter, latinum, or crew, the AI won't build it. Also, if the enemy AI does not have the technology available to build the unit, then they simply won't build it and the AI will be stuck until they can.
..4th number: The tech level the item is built at. If positive, this number will define a new tech level (in the example above, the techlevel being defined is 1 - tech level one cannot be reached unless the first item in that tech level has a positive 1). If negative, this number means the maximum techlevel the AI should build this at. Since the above example is positive, it defines a new tech level - if it was negative, when tech level two was reached by a build unit that defined tech level two, then any unit defined for build in the AI that has a -1 for this number will not be built any longer. This gives the AI the option to advance and not build the same stupid units over and over and over again.

Of course, if you put a letter or other character besides a number in these number areas, the game will crash. If you misplace or have an extra comma, the game will crash. If you have on or more too many quotation marks in a row, the game will crash. If you are missing any quote marks, the game will crash. If you try to take out the brackets before or after the entries for the build list, the game will crash. In this section, I focus only on build list entries and at this time, unless you are an experienced modder, you should not edit anything else! "

I love this part. I'm still confused on the fourth number though. I feel this is the most important number because it allows the AI to un-loop itself when climbing the build list.

keadinmode
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

On 'number four'...

Post by keadinmode » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:42 pm

Actually, the fourth number is, in my experience, exactly what Elrond says in his initial explanation. This night I got the hang of 'number four' and know what it does. It tells the AI if it should keep replacing a unit and if so up to which tech level this replacement should apply.

The first base you get typically sets your tech level at 1. Everything with -1 or higher (-2, -3, -4 etcetera) can be built now. Objects with a 0 (zero) are one-time build objects, so they will not be replaced. All objects with a -1, -2 or higher will also be replaced.

At a certain moment, you will probably tell the AI to advance a tech level, so it could say something like:

"fbase", 1, 1, -1, 2,

This tells the AI that tech level 2 has been reached. This will also immediately ban all objects with a -1 from the replacement list. This goes forth throughout the AI. NOTE SO FAR: Tech level confirmation numbers are always positive, replacement criteria are negative!!

The mistake I made, because I did not understand what 'number four' did, was that I had a station early on which told the AI that tech level 5 had been reached. All objects with -4, -3, -2 or -1 were no longer being replaced.

When adjusting the AI one should carefully balance the tech level advancement. Even though tech level as such does not play a role in Armada 2's gameplay, the AI certainly does use such a thing.

Does 'number four' allow the AI to unloop itself? I'm not sure. All I know from very recent experience is that it monitors tech levels and directly controls unit replacement.

Number three I'm not very familiar with, though I'll stick with Elrond's initial explanation: it defines how many units from the build order it should replace when necessary. I think (not sure though) this should be interpreted as such:

"fgalaxy", 3,0, -1, -2,

Until tech level 3 has been defined, this unit will be replaced. When destroyed, 1 (one) will be replaced. If this single replacement is destroyed, a single replacement will be rebuilt. You want to carefully adjust this number (AND number four) or you risk the AI spending tons of resources on replacing every single unit in the game :?

So briefly: 'Number four' determines IF the unit should be replaced upon destruction and if so, up and until which tech level this should occur. Number three tells the AI how many units should be replaced then. This is all my own experience, so it may be inaccurate. Number three is all the more vague to me because it can be both positive and negative...If this is the case, I look forward to rectifications.

EDIT: A friend of mine pointed out the following (which has not yet been subjected to tests, but which sounds plausible to say the least):
As for 'number three', a -1 indicates, possibly, that the AI should replace units until the original build order has been reached again.

"fgalaxy", 3,0, -1, -2,

This will rebuild 3 Galaxys. If the third number were 0, nothing would be done (I think), any other number would replace that particular number. In theory, you could have one Sovereign be destroyed by the enemy and retaliate by having it being replaced with four of them. This is to say, íf this is what number three means.

Again, let me know what you think / have experienced on this! Q'Plah!
"Captain, the coordinates you´ve indicated do not appear to be a vital system." "Trust me, Data..."

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Problems with ST:Armada II

Post by cecilzero1 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:18 am

earthwizard wrote:Alright Running Windows Xp Service Pk 2
Game is Star Trek Armada II
Problem is it freezes at the loading screen, not the game loading screen but the loading screen such as if you were to click on Instant Action and set up a game. It freezes when the blue bar at the bottom of the screen hits about a centimeter long. I have gone and looked at all the files to see if I missed something when modding, but as far as I can tell, I don't see anything wrong. Does anyone know what might cause this, or a better way to check for errors?
I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer.
check ur tech1.tt and ur startups units

halo
Ensign
Ensign

awsome

Post by halo » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:46 am

You just helped alot of people give your self a pat on the back for trying to find the stuff not in the book that a lot of newcommers have problems with i know i did and i refer to the book when ever im stuck

also you might want to cover hardpoints
just a sugestion

Mcdoogle
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Mcdoogle » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:54 pm

8O 8O 8O you really expect me to read that!!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
[url=http://www.ueaclan.com][img]http://www.pureupload.com/out.php/i5336_UEAMcdooglesig.png[/img][/url]

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:16 pm

Mcdoogle please dont reply if u dont have anything to say

Mcdoogle
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Mcdoogle » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:18 pm

im sorry :(
[url=http://www.ueaclan.com][img]http://www.pureupload.com/out.php/i5336_UEAMcdooglesig.png[/img][/url]

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Random Crashings

Post by jetnova16 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:37 am

I got banned on Armada II Files and the forums before I could get help on the issues that I was having with my game. It seems that they say I'm being rude and that I'm also maybe a menace but I assure you that isn't the case and I really truly am looking for help in my Star Trek Armada II game. Now since I can't get any mods at Armada2files because of the ban, I remembered that when I registered there that I had also registered here to be a part of the Armada II community here too. Well after the first time I was banned at File Front and Armada2files, I created new user names just so I can get the help that I was searching for to fix the crashing problems with my game and make it run smoothly like it did before I started to mod it because the game was just too easy. Well I am still having issues with my Armada II game and after uninstalling the game and then reinstalling it and then restarting to mod it, I keep getting the same errors and I have followed the directions to each mod and after installing one mod (one ship, station or weapon) I test them ingame and if they work, I move on to the next and keep repeating the process. With this in mind, I happen to have almost 10 back-ups of my game on my External Hard Drive. Everyone at armada2files and on the File Front Forums might think that I don’t take their advice but I do and I keep trying it and trying it before I reply to their postings and that is only because what they suggested didn’t work and I still have the crashing error that I am reporting. This error happens to be what my friend Eric and I call “Random Crashing”. I will explain this more in another posting, I am just using this to introduce myself and to let everyone know that I truly do want to be a member of the A2 Community and to also be able to create mods and have the permission from other modders to upload my mod someday, after all, I think many people might just be challenged with what I am creating. I hope everyone here will give me a chance and maybe understands how frustrating it can get when a game doesn’t want to work, crashes and then no one really understands what you are trying to tell them even though they’re not the ones seeing it happen right in front of their eyes all the time. All I have ever done on the File Front Forums and at armada2files is tell exactly what I am seeing but getting treated terribly for it and also keep getting the same reply to without being listened to. Please help me out with my game, thank you.

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:43 pm

First, I would encourage you to stick to the issues you are having with regard to the game and minimize the complaining about bans and the like.

Second, try to be as specific as possible when describing the problem.

Third, when installing more than one one, you are well advised to NOT use the auto installers but manually install everything by hand, piece by piece, testing accordingly. Yes, it will take much longer but at least you'll have more control over the process and it will make troubleshooting a bit easier.

Forth, try to develop good troubleshooting skills as many of the mods are probably no longer supported by the folks who made them.

Fifth, try to realize that the problems you encounter may be unique and the advice offered may or may not solve the problem. At the end of the day, solving it my come down to your dilligence.

Keep in mind that modding is as much art as it is science.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:28 pm

I don’t want to think about all of these bans Pepperman especially when I’m only look for help with my game and trying to get to the reason why the game is crashing. I know some may not believe in Random Crashes but I have come up with a way to show that the crashes are random; I have actually created a document that I have saved that I’m calling “Random Crashings Log”. In this log I have the date, the races being played and the moment that I can see when the crash happens and in that area, it tells what I was doing at that moment. I have decided to create this document to give specific information on the crashing when it happens since it’s impossible to know when it will be to actually create a screen shot.

I have never used any auto installers to install any of the mods that I have added to my game. I have created separate folders if they had auto installers and installed the mod to the corresponding folder and then transfer the files to their corresponding folders in the Armada II Directory. Of course I also test each mod when I add it to the game and so far the ships and stations that have been added for each race hasn’t had any problems after being built or well being built, if they have though, I have managed to find the issues for those problems and fix them except for one station, the Shockwave Turret that came with the Beta Construction Ship Mod. Here are the stations files the Special Weapon it uses and the station’s ODF File.
Files’ Name - wturr4
// Programming Stuff DO NOT CHANGE
classLabel = "shockwavexplode"

// Rate of expansion.
rate = 100

// Name of the texture.
texture = "wturr4"

// Color of the shockwave.
color = 0.2 0.2 1.0

// Multiplier for the ship radius to get the shockwave radius.
radiusFactor = 1.5

// Percentage before the shockwave starts to fade.
fadeFactor = 0.1

// Number of rays in effect.
rays = 16

File’s Name – fturret3
#include "turret.odf"

//**********************************************************************
//MAIN DESIGN PARAMETERS

//Name of Ship class in Ship Display window & in edit mode & tooltip
unitName = "Shockwave Turret"

//tooltips
tooltip = "Shockwave Turret"
verboseTooltip = "Federation heavy defensive turret. This platform discharges pulse waves of a unique type of plasma that has particles which naturaly fluctuate on a trioxilating frequency capable of penetrating any known energy shielding causing surges within the enemy vessels power distributuion grid. Federation ships, stations, and all allied units of course have their systems adapted to this frequency to not be affected by the shockwave."

//Race which can build ship & starting race of ship
race = "federation"

//Amount of time required to build ship
buildTime = 80.0

//Number of officers required to build this ship
officerCost = 5

//Dilithium Cost to build
dilithiumCost = 100

//Metal cost to build
metalCost = 400

//Max Shield Strength & Begining Shield Strength <1000
maxHealth = 2000

//Rate at which shield recharges (points per second... we think)
shieldRate = 20.0

//SYSTEM HITPOINTS
shieldGeneratorHitPoints = 100
enginesHitPoints = 0
weaponsHitPoints = 100
lifeSupportHitPoints = 0
sensorsHitPoints = 100

//Shield absorbs all damage until it's gone
shieldProtection = 1.0

//AI system parameters
//These parameters influence how the AI evaluates and compares craft.

//An abstract number that represents how much extra strength must be
//used to attack this craft due to its weapons.
// (0.0=no weapons, 0.5 = average weapons, 1.0=many good weapons)
attackPower = 0.50f

//The normalized intrinsic value of a target. High value craft make good
//attack targets. (0.0=lowest value, 1.0=highest value)
intrinsicValue = 0.50f

//ART PARAMETERS & WEAPON NAMES

// Phaser
weapon1 = "ftph"
weaponHardpoints1 = "hp09" "hp10" "hp11" "hp12" "hp13" "hp14" "hp15" "hp16" "hp17" "hp18" "hp19" "hp20" "hp21" "hp22" "hp23" "hp24"

// Hardpoints to hit for various systems and other locations.
enginesTargetHardpoints =
lifeSupportTargetHardpoints =
weaponsTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02" "hp03" "hp04" "hp05" "hp06" "hp07" "hp08"
shieldGeneratorTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02" "hp03" "hp04" "hp05" "hp06" "hp07" "hp08"
sensorsTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02" "hp03" "hp04" "hp05" "hp06" "hp07" "hp08"
hullTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02" "hp03" "hp04" "hp05" "hp06" "hp07" "hp08"
criticalTargetHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02" "hp03" "hp04" "hp05" "hp06" "hp07" "hp08"

//MESSAGE & SOUND PARAMETERS

eventSelect = "PhaserTurretSelect"
eventAcknowledge = "PhaserTurretAcknowledge"
eventAttack = "PhaserTurretAttack"
eventDecommission = "PhaserTurretDecommission"

//KEYMAP LABEL
// Obsolete, use hotkeyLabel
// keymapLabel = "phaser_turret"
hotkeyLabel = "HOTKEY_F4"

//************************************************************
// Brian additions for context sensitive menus
alert = 1

//scan range in meters
rangeScan = 1400.0f

ScaleSOD = 1.8

//animation = 2
Well you might be right about one thing, these problems might just be unique because every time I mentioned about Random Crashings on the FileFront Forums others would say that there is no such thing as Random Crashings. One question though, if others are using the same mods, could they have experienced some of the same crashes and would be willing to share their fix or solutions that they tried? I was hoping that would be the case.[/list]