Elrond!!

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Elrond!!

Post by CptBenSisko » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:02 pm

I need ur help.. I have been working on a way to give DS9 multiple repair points using pods..the upper and lower pylons as well as the docking ring. But I need to know..how do I get the repairpods to only be able to be built once? and how can i adjust them so that the ship stays on a horizontal plane as opposed to a vertical one? i know it has to do with some command call repair_side = or something like that?..the pods build, and then repair..but i need them to only be built once and not over and over again. help me if you can..or anyone else..any help is greatly appreaciated.
Captain Benjamin Sisko of the U.S.S. Defiant

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:42 pm

I apologise for not using the PM but...i kind of phrased the title wrong..shouldn't have just said elrond...but i did ask for anyone's help.. so i was hoping someone would have some thoughts on my idea but. i guess it just drew negative attention instead of positive attention..and that sucks because this idea has a lot of potential i think..but.......

Achilles
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Achilles » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:46 pm

If I knew what you meant I would try and help man, could you explain it a bit differently perhaps?

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:49 pm

**hits the translate button to see if it works** I think he means that he wants DS( to have multiple repair points, but he doesn't like the fact that the same point can be built over and over. If my translation is wrong, then I guess I need to go back to modding language school :lol:

EO
Life is what you make it.

Achilles
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Achilles » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:54 pm

err, same point? you mean you'vr made it modular to build additional repair points?

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:58 pm

Achilles wrote:err, same point? you mean you'vr made it modular to build additional repair points?
from what I gather, the idea is quite simple, you have a ship that is sort of a research station, and it builds points that fire weapons, Elrond came up with this idea. To convert it to repair points is extremely easy, all he has to do is in the 'pod' odfs, have it say canRepair = 1 and there you go. These new pods (being completely blank SODs) will be built on the tips of the pylons, therefore the ships will repair there, and if one is taken, go to the other, in theory.

EO

Achilles
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Achilles » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:00 pm

well yeah, modular has been done for ages, I just dont nderstand the trouble he's having with alignment, if I want each ship pointing a different way I need to know the orientation of the hardpoint the are being built from and the orientation of the new repair point.

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:09 pm

CptBenSisko wrote:I apologise for not using the PM but...i kind of phrased the title wrong..shouldn't have just said elrond...but i did ask for anyone's help.. so i was hoping someone would have some thoughts on my idea but. i guess it just drew negative attention instead of positive attention..and that sucks because this idea has a lot of potential i think..but.......
ill let it slide this time

*time to prune out some post then*

@CptBenSisko what kind of thread topic where u aiming toward?
Last edited by cecilzero1 on Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:12 pm

true. If they are all facing the same way, then they will repain the ships facing the same direction, but then you have to take into account that the orientation will be different because the repair pod is placed on an existing HP and therefore it will look different, I mean when I build a modular station, I make sure that the second model will coincide with the first models hardpoints, that way I can make sure that the alignment is correct. The thing about these pods is like this:

Lets say that I have a modular starbase, and on it I have 6 extension parts. Depending on the direction of the HP on the extension's arm, the 'back' (or closest faces that you see when loading it into the Viewer) will be facing the aft part of the point, so lets say I had an arm going out under the construction port of the starbase, and I have the HP at the end facing outwards, away from the station, and I have it set up where a shipyard is built at the end of it. For this demponstration I will use the basic shipyard. The shipyard is at an angle anyway, so when I build it off of the starbase, the angle closest to you in the viewer, will be facing the starbase. Now the build and repair HPs are in the same location, so the ship will build down to your right, that is if I got this correct, and the repair hardpoint is oriented where the connection rod to the starbase is, but you can still repair, which I find weird, bit it is facing to the top left. This is all because the shipyards HPs are not effected by the parent SODs, so that, in my opinion, is what is wrong. You have your blank SODs with hardpoints that are facing a certain direction, no if you have the HPs right on the station, say the upper pylons, the HPs all facing towards the inside of the station, then they will all build/repair with the left side of the ship always facing the pylon. To switch it up, just make a new SOD with a point facing the opposite direction, and there you go. I hope I explained this right, if not please correct me.

EO

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:13 pm

In theory it should work...I have the first one working..the problem is..that each additional one builds on the same hardpoint.. hp01..I have them assigned to build on different ones..i have to dissect elronds mod and figure out how he did it.

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:15 pm

CptBenSisko wrote:In theory it should work...I have the first one working..the problem is..that each additional one builds on the same hardpoint.. hp01..I have them assigned to build on different ones..i have to dissect elronds mod and figure out how he did it.
got a solution for you. Have it on there several times, each one on a different hardpoint, not all starting with "hp01" Switch it up, 1 on hp02, another on 04 and so on, if you have already tried this, then I am out of ideas.

EO

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:45 pm

Now my problem is that each time build the pod..it explodes as soon as it's done. I have no clue what that's about..all i did was take the weapons off.

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:47 pm

thats interesting... never had that happen to me before. Maybe it is something to do with the parent ODF file, like the main file for the new pods, check that, see if it has it set up to where it can fire, if that is the case, change it to where it doesnt, and resave it as another file, and go into your pod odfs and change the file name.

EO

edit: if you have YIM, AIM, or MSN, contact me via those, and I will see what I can do.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:33 pm

I was away for a couple of days. Yeah, that is an interesting problem. I think the only way the weapon pods would explode is if their hull strength was set to 0, or if it really wasn't connected to the station. If the station isn't of research class (meaning that it refers to research.odf or something like that) then the pod that's built could explode. Think of it this way - stations build ships - that station may be building the pod like it would build a ship - separate from the station - but since the product it builds is labelled a pod, it explodes when created. The station has to be a research class label in Armada 2 or it won't be able to build mountable pods. I think it's happened to me before, but it's been a couple of years and I don't remember how I did it. One thing is, it raises an interesting question - could building pods like one would build a ship result in a new self-destruct device - that is, setting the explosion on the pod to be enormous would destroy anything in the area (a virtual super-self-destruct mode). It could be called the "Pandora's Box" weapon.

On the topic, though, I know that researched pods can repair stuff, as I've done that myself. I'll get more to you on that later. Thanks for addressing me on this, CptBenSisko. I'll get to you on PM on that as well when I bring up my odf files. I'm glad to help.

draconis_sharp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by draconis_sharp » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:19 am

You could make a new odf for the pod (not really the pod, just a new Xplode odf) called: superxplode. You then increase shockwave distance and increase damage. That way you can have a buildable explosive device... Hmm... I wonder what I could do with that.