Elrond!!

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:27 pm

That would be the way to do it! By just building the pod, it would self-destruct - it would be the first time that a pod exploded intentionally!

Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:50 pm

8O Holy poop, a suicide pod?! Cool! :twisted:
Klingon: Your mother mates with toasters!
Data: How did you find out?!

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:29 am

Yeah, I just started modding something similar to that for the Confederation race (based upon Section 31, except these ones are terrorists sometimes). I haven't modded for a long time (three months) so this is the first thing I've done with A2 for three months! All I can say is that it works. Self-destruct can suffice for some situations, but suicide pods can be released over and over again until the explosion destroys the ship building them! I've started working on pods as an alternate for torpedos - they are based on the dreadnought missle except that they don't produce quite that large of an explosion. Initially, releasing a dreadnought pod from a ship will mean attacking the closest target. But it's not quite a pod and it's not quite a torpedo. It doesn't work right yet, but it is getting better. The logic for this type of torpedo is to act like an escape pod, torpedo, and a dreadnought missle all-in-one. It uses AI to attack nearest target like the missle, but can be selected to target other vessels. The best way of doing this is to build it as a ship like the missle, but I'm thinking about other ways of doing it. :P

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:42 pm

what about the whole repair hardpoint idea? You haven't abandoned me have you Elrond? I still want DS9 to be able to repair multiple ships. let me know if you figure anything out
Captain Benjamin Sisko of the U.S.S. Defiant

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:46 pm

CptBenSisko wrote:what about the whole repair hardpoint idea? You haven't abandoned me have you Elrond? I still want DS9 to be able to repair multiple ships. let me know if you figure anything out
I think that Elrond said something about having the station set up as a research station, which means that you wouldnt be able to build ships from it, unless... Unless you make a build point somewhere aswell, then try to select it that way you can build.

EO
Life is what you make it.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:22 pm

You know how weapon pods can use weapons - for a weapon pod, just use the repairBeam weapon - that's what I did for several of my ships a few months ago. It isn't that a pod has a repair hardpoint, but that it has a weapon hardpoint with a repairBeam on it - it would also be able to have a cloaking device and a fire-while-cloaked weapon so that no enemy can target it. I hope this is of some help - nope I didn't abandon you :p (don't know if that smiley worked - for some reason my internet explorer isn't allowing me to click on some interactive icons). Edit: nope, the smiley didn't work - oh well :-/

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:41 pm

oh, I see, hmm, wouldnt that effect the way the ships do there thing? I mean when the ships go to repair and stuff, they usually alighn on the HP, or right next to it, Im not sure right now, and then they start to repair. I think what CptBenSisco wants is this feature, not the repair beam, but if that is the only way, besides what I posted, then I am out of ideas.

EO

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:54 pm

ok, a little later this week into the start of next week, Im going to give my reasearch idea a try. I have a plan to use DS9 as my station, then having several repair hardpoints and one build hardpoint on it, aswell as the weapons points. Tell you how my work goes.

EO

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:06 am

You can make 'multiple' repair points - I've experimented with it using pods and I don't think pods can have repair points. Except I remember there being one time where it happened that way, but recreating it would be like those two dudes that 'allegedly' came up with cold fusion being able to reproduce their results. I didn't know that's what you were referring to CptSisko - I'll have to look into that. I don't have an idea right now on how to do that. I haven't modded much in the last three months - the last couple of days is the only time I've gotten to do that, so it may take a while to figure out, unless you get it first, Epytron_Omega! :-)

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:54 pm

well, as with my Serpent class thread, I cant get A1 or A2 to run on my comp right now, it is being really srewy, I think I missed a period somehwere, lmao :lol: Anywho, I will try again today, that is all of today, to get A1 and A2 to work so I can get the Serepent and this idea to work.

EO

Dell
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Dell » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:43 pm

instead of first building a pod whith a repair beam, could u not just give that hp a repairbeam instead of letting build a pod first??

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:37 pm

Well, that would work most definitely, except that a repair beam cannot repair the ship which it is attached to - and if the station or ship's weapons go down, the repair beam won't work. That is where pods play a part - they could also be protected by a phase cloak that prevents the pod from being destroyed - and if not that, the pod can still be rebuilt. Nebula Generation pods would be great if the nebula could also be a pod that remains connected to a ship (seeing as how a specially-built nebula generation weapon could hide a ship, effectively acting as a cloak while the ship hidden can fire weapons and have shields). But that one can't be done as two classLabels are not allowed. Oh well, we'll get something working!

Corbomite_Ray
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Corbomite_Ray » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:54 pm

What about using either pods or saucer-separation to make a Dreadnought missile type thing from another ship or station?
Stalwart guardian of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, because it was so artistically done

"You're in Starfleet. Insanity is not an option; it's a requirement."
- Captain Anthony Felfire

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:27 am

Well, that would mean disabling the Galaxy's separation sequence in the game, but that could work also. That's actually a pretty good idea. A ship (shipx) could separate into (shipx) and (shipy) - the shipx could continue to build shipy's over and over again - this could be done! It couldn't exist on more than one unit, but it's a good alternative to using a pod for this.

Corbomite_Ray
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Corbomite_Ray » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:05 am

I wonder if the fusingcost tag works on non-fusion special weapons? Hmm...
Stalwart guardian of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, because it was so artistically done

"You're in Starfleet. Insanity is not an option; it's a requirement."
- Captain Anthony Felfire