Problems adding ships and stations

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Saber
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Problems adding ships and stations

Post by Saber » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:55 pm

:evil:

i have a prob, I have edited babylon 5 v.13 to my liking, i have taken all the klingon and federation files from star wars converstion mod. Am trying to add the vorcha to the earth alliance side, in there basic shipyard. the file was called kcruise1.odf i renamed it ecruise1.odf i also renamed the .sod. I placed everything in the right directories. I copied the the gui_ from the starwars evan got a ship add guide and it still dosent work?

Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:14 am

Be more specific. When you say "it doesn't work", what do you mean? Does the ship not show up in the yard, does the game crash, what?? Depending on what the problem is, you can fairly quickly nail down where it's coming from.
Klingon: Your mother mates with toasters!
Data: How did you find out?!

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:17 am

I agree with Logius, it is much simpler to help if you narrow it down to the specifics of what is wrong, but what it sounds like is you havent added it to the techtrees, but that is just my assumption.

EO
Life is what you make it.

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:42 am

since its for A1 wont dont u post the log ?

Saber
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

opps

Post by Saber » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:09 am

oops sorry! it dosen't show up in the yard. you can't build it at all; nothing shows up. I think all the files are in the right place.

Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:18 am

Well, I deleted the Star Wars and B5 mods almost as soon as I installed them, so I don't remember what the file names were or how things were put together. But fixing these problems is fairly generic throughout.

If you hold the mouse pointer over the spot where the button should be do you see the ToolTip text? If you do, then there's something wrong with the build button. If not, then that's not it.

Epytron's suggestion could be the solution too. Make sure the tech trees all reflect the new addition. Like

Code: Select all

kvorcha.odf   1   fyard.odf
or something.

Another thing you could do is make sure the build list in the "fyard.odf" file is spelled correctly and you didn't accidentally use the same number for two of the units. Like "buildItem4" twice or something.

If none of this works, then it might be a couple of other things I can't quite think of at the moment. So try them out and see what happens. If it's still not working, let us know and post some of the code in the files so we can see exactly what's going on. Not the whole thing, mind you, just the appropriate sections.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:23 am

There's a tutorial I made a while back about adding ships into a game, and adding build buttons and wireframes using Storm3D. It includes editting and troubleshooting odf files and averting crashes due to filename error issues and bad commands that are often used (such as putting one too many or not enough " marks in ship names and filenames).

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:28 am

Elrond wrote:There's a tutorial I made a while back about adding ships into a game, and adding build buttons and wireframes using Storm3D. It includes editting and troubleshooting odf files and averting crashes due to filename error issues and bad commands that are often used (such as putting one too many or not enough " marks in ship names and filenames).
Yeah you have to watch those ". Even those of us who have me making mods for years still do that little mistake.

You really have to double check and triple check all your spelling.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:35 am

That's for sure - just about 99.9% of my crashes happen because of misspelling something or leaving something little out. The littlest character in the wrong place can spell a crash. :)

Dell
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Dell » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:16 pm

you mention notthing about a techtree. Did you change the techtree files??

Saber
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

lmao

Post by Saber » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:23 pm

well i found the problem. the file wasn't an odf it was a simple text file. so i made the change. Well when i went to build the ship the build botton was not right, it had four ships in it. then when I built the ship it turned out white! :evil:

Oh I did add the ship in both tech files.

If i renamed the .odf and .sod would i have to change the textures aswell?

Saber
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Saber » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:59 pm

how do i get the vorcha color back

Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:30 pm

Hee hee hee... if the build button has 4 ships in it, then you're going to have to cut out the other three ships using something like Photoshop or other high end image editing software. Then you have to save the single button under a different name (like vorcha.tga) as an uncompressed 24-bit file. You might be able to download a button pack from AFC (downloads>a1>button & wireframe packs). Look for one that has the ship you need.

If the ship is coming out white, then it's a simple fix. You just have to find the right texture file for the Vor'cha version you're using. If you have the Storm 3D viewer (if not, just download it here: Storm 3D Viewer) use it to look at the original SOD file.
Once you have Storm running, kill the Armada splash screen by hitting <DELETE> and drag&drop the SOD file in. Then, hit <T> and the screen should show you the file name of the TGA file associated with the SOD. Remember, make sure to install Storm 3D into the directory that has the Vor'cha working.

On another note, you NEVER change the file names of the ship's texture. If you do that, then the SOD won't be able to find the file. Only the SOD and ODF have to match up. The build button, and wireframes are specified in the GUI_GLOBAL.SPR file, so they can be named anything you want, but it makes sense to have a similar name scheme.

Let us know if this works.

Saber
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Saber » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:12 pm

well i have everything working and have been adding ships left and right so thanks for the help. I do have a question, whats the gui_ for the Scimitar? (StarTrek Nemisis) so i don't have blank buttons.

Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:21 am

If you mean the build button for the scimitar, then it should have come with one including instructions in the README.TXT on how to install it properly. That depends on which one you downloaded, I think there's 3 of them in the download section. If you got the one made by Pepperman then the code in the GUI_GLOBAL.SPR file should be something like this:

b_scimitar			gbscimitar	0	0	64	64
If you're referring to the B5 mod, then I have no idea what the name of the button would be, but it should be something similar.

A little info on the gui_global.spr file. The GUI_GLOBAL file holds the references to the build buttons and wireframe data for each individual ship among other things. Some of the ships you download will have detailed instructions on how to install and edit the gui_global.spr file. The only things to pay attention to are where it says

@reference=128
and
@reference=64
Be sure to pay attention when adding build buttons that you're placing them in the right spot. Editing the WEAPON.SPR file can be similarly tricky, but just make sure you follow the readme's instructions, and you should be fine. After you've added ships and fiddled with the SPR's a few times, you'll get the hang of it. Bear in mind that some ships don't come with wireframes, buildbuttons, or odf's sometimes.