Replacement problem...

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

keadinmode
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Replacement problem...

Post by keadinmode » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:06 pm

I've modded the Federation by now, most of it is actually done. Some tweaking here and there and then the AI. There is, however, one problem...

I've made the requirements for the Galaxy class that all research pods be at level 2 (which would make sense, the Galaxy is an advanced ship for its time, the Sovereign would require several level 3 pods for example). The thing is though, that if I research sensors level 2, the Galaxy works, but when I would research sensors level 3 the Galaxy is no longer available. So these pods really do replace one another. Is there any way I can get around this? Because the most advanced ships are no longer available when the pods reach level 3 :?

Is there any way around this? Please help :)

Dell
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Dell » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:01 pm

Do you use secondaryBuildItem??

Better podHardpoints = "hp01" "hp01"
buildItem0 = "level 2 upgrade
buildItem1 = "level 3 upgrade

keadinmode
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by keadinmode » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:18 pm

I've just messed around with the techtree and the buildItems and all that. As it stands now, this is what it says in the 'fupgrade.odf':

podHardpoints = "hp01" "hp02" "hp03" "hp04" "hp05" "hp31" "hp32" "hp33" "hp34" "hp35"
buildItem0 = "fedpod11"
buildItem1 = "fedpod12"
buildItem2 = "fedpod13"
buildItem3 = "fedpod14"
buildItem4 = "fedpod15"

buildItem5 = "fedpod21"
buildItem6 = "fedpod22"
buildItem7 = "fedpod23"
buildItem8 = "fedpod24"
buildItem9 = "fedpod25"

Combined with this techtree information:

fedpod11.odf 1 fupgrade.odf
fedpod12.odf 1 fupgrade.odf
fedpod13.odf 1 fupgrade.odf
fedpod14.odf 1 fupgrade.odf
fedpod15.odf 1 fupgrade.odf
fedpod21.odf 5 fedpod11.odf fedpod12.odf fedpod13.odf fedpod14.odf fedpod15.odf
fedpod22.odf 5 fedpod11.odf fedpod12.odf fedpod13.odf fedpod14.odf fedpod15.odf
fedpod23.odf 5 fedpod11.odf fedpod12.odf fedpod13.odf fedpod14.odf fedpod15.odf
fedpod24.odf 5 fedpod11.odf fedpod12.odf fedpod13.odf fedpod14.odf fedpod15.odf
fedpod25.odf 5 fedpod11.odf fedpod12.odf fedpod13.odf fedpod14.odf fedpod15.odf

By making all the level 3 pods require all the level 2 pods, I seem to have gotten around the problem of the pod size. Some level 3 pods wouldn't show up, even if the research had actually been done. Also, this does not replace any pods thanks to the fact that they are normal build items. I've tested this and all the ships are still buildable. The ones that require level 2 pods are also fully buildable. Í'll keep you posted on how this will go, because I did encounter one strangeness: The level 2 sensors pod was not "replaced" visually by the level 3 pod, rather, the level 3 pod was placed on the hardpoint of some other level 3 pod :?

keadinmode
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by keadinmode » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:35 pm

Update: The problem is fixed. Evidently, the problem I first had, which was mainly the fact that ALL level 3 pods had been researched, but only 4 pods were actually larger, is now solved. This must've been because in the first test run a level 2 pod was destroyed while a level 3 pod was being researched. Since the AI places the larger pods counter clockwise, it seem to have skipped one spot because that particular pod was destroyed during research... The second test run displayed all pods working perfectly! This means that all the station work is now rounded up and that I can start work on the AI, which should be done a long way tonight, if not completely finished.

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:41 pm

Bit late with my idea, but I'll tell it to you if you get stuck again:

You know that number next to the ???.odf in the techtree, if you'd have changed that to 1, and had a galaxy class up and running, I'm pretty sure you'd have been able to have carried on building them..but iuts late now so doesn't matter ;)

keadinmode
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by keadinmode » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:03 pm

Actually I think that number is the number of requirements coming áfter it... So if there are 5 requirements, the number should be 5... I believe the game crashes if the number's different from the number of requirements...

Anyway, a new problem has presented itself Jolt, and I think you know how to do it (anyone's help is more than welcome of course!): I need to increase trade profits.
Now, I know there's the tradestation.odf in the stations folder, and changing the values does indeed change the profit made. If I put 4 for the Romulan Ale, I seem to earn 4 latinum units when I deliver Romulan Ale. However, the "*trading.odf" (where * represents the letter of the race) also has a tradeprofit percentage. I'm not sure, but the cargo the Ferengi deliver is worth much more than what your own freighters carry.
I don't know how to separate these values. If I crank up the normal trade values in the tradestation.odf and my Ferengi delivers some goods, my profits are like 9000 (nine thousand!) per run :? But my freighters deliver the amount stated in that file. Clearly there's a modifier for the Ferengi somewhere but I've no idea where to find it... Maybe anyone else does..?

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:24 pm

1) Distance!-Freighters going a greater distance from trading station to trading stations increases latinum gain (but you probably already know that).

What some people might not know is trading with another races trade station has a further percentage gain! Regardless of the distance, the percentage will alway's be higher!

2) Because the ferrengi are ships just like any other race (in theory, if you desperately wanted them, you could change the techree so that you could...anyhow) they have their own odf files...where though is another thing. I'll have a look for them...

By the way, did you could always increase the amount of cargo a cargo ships carries, granted that this will take longer to do but the potential benefit is huge, especially with the 2 mission where you have to deliever 1500 units of three resources, simply change this amount (in the cargo ships) to 750, this is nice amount and doesn't take too long to load.

Right, I've examined the trade station for the romulans, might i suggest that you copy some of the lines from the tradestation.odf like price of raktajino = 0.8 and put it in the rtrading, then you can jiggle about each amount for each race, there's a lil something extra for you. So in theory, you could make romulan ale really cheap in romulan trade stations and really expensive in federation...anyhow...

For some bizarre reason, I cannot find refrence to ANY Ferrengi ships, i'll take a closer look at some random files and see what I pick up, hope the above helps anyhow.

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:35 pm

I aplogise for the double post but please bare with:

I found the buggar! I found the ferrengi cargo ship, its cleverly hidden as zfercarg, something I thought was a refrence to the capture the flag game. Anyhow, having analysed it deeply, I'm unhappy to say there is absolutely no difference to that of a standard cargo ship...there is no line or anything that refers it to trading particular amounts...except one line which I have not noticed before, but then again, I don't usually study cargo odf's ;):

aiName = "TraderProcess"

Mean anything to you? Well, I'm sure if you find the root file, "TraderProcess", you'll probably find what you're looking for, again, hope this helps.

keadinmode
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by keadinmode » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:58 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Jolt. No, the aiName doesn't mean anything to me... Though I cannot imagine it having anything to do with actual profits.

I've tried some of your things. I need to find a way for the AI to make decent profits... For some reason the freighters go for latinum because the AI needs it (logical but I can't stop them :?) They put aside their dilithium tasks to harvest latinum. An easy way to come by latinum doesn't seem to exist - trade is the name of the game. But the AI builds its trade stations pretty close to one another. I figure this can be solved in the AI so I'll try that, but still... I don't want the AI putting aside dilithium mining for latinum mining, though I'm not sure how to change this. The instant they have enough latinum though they go back to dilithium so it's only temporary...

Distance does indeed make more profit and a fair amount of it too, so I imagine trading with an ally across the map makes for some decent latinum income. But the AI doesn't seem to do that... Still, for as far as I can see the AI does everything else wonderfully well so if that's the only problem...

I'll go about modifying the AI as I go along and see if the harvesting problem is a killer to the AI performance. If it isn't, I see no reason to make it more of a point than it already is. Still, I've wasted so much time tonight trying to get the trade thing to work, the AI will not be finisjed todat (shame) so that'll have to wait for a short while. Hopefully things'll be back on schedule soon enough!