Unity class revamped

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Unity class revamped

Post by icewolf132 »

hello everyone, thought its time to dust off an old ship. since ive had the mesh almost done for about a month id finish it up. as some of you may remember the Unity class was my first attempt at modeling (which to be blunt originaly looked like a cheez-it with boxes glued to it :lol: ). the Unity class is ment to be a cheaper, easier to build version of the Constitution class, like the Nebula class is to the Galaxy class.

this is the final mesh refit as it has been redone MANY times (this is the fourth one o.0). this is also my second atempt at federation TMP textures and ill tell you this; those blasted rings are bloody hard to get right! that was the only thing I hated to do while making clothes for the ship, each time I tryed it one ring was either off center or a diffrent size then the other :?.

...er *ahem* heres a look at it:

personaly I think this new design kicks arse, even though its a bit high to low-end users. this ship will be noded pretty soon, and ill be sure to include a few strobes ;) there wont be any borg nodes with this though, but im working on it :)

once its playable ill send it to AFC and maybe armada2files, well off to MS3D I go!
Star Trekkin' across the universe, because I STILL can't find reverse!

Usage Permission; All are free to use and edit my work in any way they see fit, so long as credit is given where it is due.
Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius »

Awwww, isn't she cute? I think it looks adorable, personally and a nice testament to the old Feddie days.
there wont be any borg nodes with this though, but im working on it
Borg or no Borg, it's a sweet little sucker. Nice work Icewolf!
Klingon: Your mother mates with toasters!
Data: How did you find out?!
jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt »

Did you get any inspiration of it from the Sabre class?

Anyhow, looks sweet :D
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

I like the ship design Ice, good design. I would suggest working on the textures a bit. The ships's paint seem a little plain, and the windows really need to be re-done. But over all, I see you are "growing" in modeling and have done a splendid job at it..
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...
Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh »

It's the Unity Class - Reloaded! 8)

Yeah, reminds me a little of the Saber class. Pretty nice little ship!
icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 »

thanks everyone, the nacelle position was inspired from the Saber and the rest from the Nebula.

CaptSyf: the paint I wanted to have a faded look, but your right it needs to show up more, as for the windows I simply suck at them. what exactly needs to be done to them? the size I may change because they do look abit to big, but for the design...I dont know. I realy like the "pushed in" effect on the windows, I might just try plain ones or maybe rounded ones.

and thank you, ive still got a lot of growing that I want to do :)

there's just one thing I can't figure out how to get right on TMP fed. ships; the impulse engines :?

Usage Permission; All are free to use and edit my work in any way they see fit, so long as credit is given where it is due.
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

Ok, the windows, I would suggest making smaller. Because at that size, the don't match the ship. and when you make the windows, use a rounded edge (not saying to make them round).The hull texture, give it some paneling/ hull plating. Also, some Aztecing would help. And as far as the impulse engines on a TMP era Fed. ship, make a box or cylinder (use a cylinder for more realistic looking, but at the cost of more polies), and shape it into exhaust ports (study some of mine, or other's modelsto see what I'm referencing).

Well, I hope this helps. I am sorry to sound like I am bashing your work, I am not trying to do so. I just want to help.
icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 »

meh, don't worry about it :) I aperciate any help and pointers that people can give for modding and modeling. well, lets get rid of these windows *crash*.

icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 »

sorry about the double post, but how does it look now?

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

That looks better. But there's still something that looks off a bit. Well, the phaser emitters are big. I personally would lessen the thickness of the saucer section and make the windows a bit smaller (I take it the intention with this ship is to make it really small compared to something like the Constitution class). The impulse looks great. The only other crit I have is the shuttlebay doors are not textured yet to look like they should. It's still a great model, and has a ton of potential.

Now, I did take a minute to draw a 2D side view of what I sorta have in mind as a suggested remake of this ship. Here's a look at her. I think with fine-tuned texturing, it would make a great ship to add to anyone's collection. It modifies some of what you have going, but stays within the overall areas of this ship. anyways, here it is (don't laugh too hard, I draw it in MS-paint...lol
icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 »

CaptSyf wrote:That looks better. But there's still something that looks off a bit. Well, the phaser emitters are big. I personally would lessen the thickness of the saucer section and make the windows a bit smaller (I take it the intention with this ship is to make it really small compared to something like the Constitution class). The impulse looks great. The only other crit I have is the shuttlebay doors are not textured yet to look like they should. It's still a great model, and has a ton of potential.

Now, I did take a minute to draw a 2D side view of what I sorta have in mind as a suggested remake of this ship. Here's a look at her. I think with fine-tuned texturing, it would make a great ship to add to anyone's collection. It modifies some of what you have going, but stays within the overall areas of this ship. anyways, here it is (don't laugh too hard, I draw it in MS-paint...lol
the shuttle bay doors are textured, but you cant realy see it well from a distance. I did try an impulse engine like whats on the Constitiution refit, but the faces under it bleed through when you move farther away from it >_<. Ill see to the saucer and other mesh upgrades except for one; the things on the deflector dish. take no offence, but those make the ship seem more of a cruiser than a frigate.

I know this is a foolish question, but can TMP ships have only one phaser emitor per square? thank you very much for your help and crits CaptSyf :)

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

Yes, they can have only one emitter per square. Ready, when it come to making your own ship, you are the designer, so you decide what goes where.

It's my pleasure to help you. I would like to see this ship become a highly downloaded ship, when you release it. And that's why I've taken interest in helping you get this ship well done.Also, with all the old modellers slowly falling into the great void of no return, I'm interested in helping build a new force of modellers for A1/A2.
icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 »

thank you, ill get on it asap ^_^

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

Exellent...

We are waiting...
icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 »

CaptSyf wrote:Exellent...

We are waiting...
...and waiting, and waiting, and waiting ^_^;

I apologize for the realy long wait, you all have waited far to long for what has been done to the ship.

so what have I done to it? take a look :twisted:

http://img144.localhost-textreplaced/im ... ew27jj.jpg

80% of the mesh has been rebuilt and new textures were made for the Unity, it looks a heck of a lot beter than it did 5 months ago :D. I did poly shave this ship to death, and got it from around 1000 polys to 915 polys, which is still a bit high but *shrugs* ya win some, ya lose some. there's still a big of tweaking that need to be done on the mesh and textures, but the Unity is very close to being released (and its about bloody time to lol)