Wirframing

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Spoonman
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Wirframing

Post by Spoonman » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:53 pm

I haven't posted anything in a while, but I am having a problem with wireframes. I am using PSP9 & Westworld's Big Book of Modding in concert with each other. Build buttons I can do in my sleep, but wireframes that I attempt to make crash the game. It doesn't matter what ship I try it on. I used to use PSP7 for wireframes with great results, but I have since upgraded. Any pointers?

Spoonman
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Spoonman » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:00 pm

I am writing again to ask if anyone might have an idea as to how to make the standard five part wireframes for armada 2 using Westworld's big book of modding & Paintshop pro 9. I had written on this subject a few months ago, with no success. So, I figured that maybe in that time someone may have upgraded to PSP9 & might have some of the answers that I am looking for. Thank you all in advance for your time & your thoughts on this matter. -- Spoonman

KaBoom1701
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by KaBoom1701 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:32 pm

I use PSP8 when I make mine. Don't have any problem at all with the game crashing?

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:25 pm

I use PSP 8.10, but I may be able to help. First, it really sounds like your tga files are compressed. A compressed tga will crash armada (1 and 2) so quick it'll make your head spin. So, open up your PSP, then open one of the problem files. Next , hit Save AS... Then on that window, click on options. make sure the settings are 24bit and uncompressed. That should fix it. Also, make sure your files are 2x factor (64x64, 128x128, 256x256 and so on).

Hope this helps.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

Spoonman
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Spoonman » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:26 pm

I'll check that. Thank you

Spoonman
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Spoonman » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:29 am

I tried it a couple of different ways but it will either still crash the game or just show the sensor segment of the ship & nothing else. But I made sure that it was Uncompressed & 24 bit greyscale. Ant ideas?

Khaldore
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Khaldore » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:58 am

I don't make wireframes... but when I do need to make .tga files, I use a combination of PSP and The GIMP: http://www.gimp.org. I alternate back and forth between the two when creating them, but the final save is done with GIMP, if only beacuse it seems to save uncompressed .tga's properly. It might be worth a shot... personally, I hope it helps. :)

- Mike

draconis_sharp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by draconis_sharp » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:25 am

I usually use GIMP 2 for making whatever textures I want, and keep them in .bmp until I'm done making changes. When I want to export to .tga I just use MGI Photosuite, since it's very quick.

Spoonman
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Spoonman » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:25 am

I have never used GIMP or GIMP2, but it might be worth my while to get a copy. Thank you all very much. If anyone can think of anything else, please don't hesitate.

Porty
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Porty » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:46 am

I don't think it is a issue with the program you are using as I have successfully made wireframes in both PSP7 & PSP9.

I don't really understand why you are having crashing issues though as I have never encountered a crash due to a wireframe even when I have made them incorrectly.

I think it would be more likely to be a coding issue when installing the wireframe rather than the image itself!! :wink:

Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:40 pm

If you're only seeing the the Sensor portion of the wireframe, then your issue may be with the Alpha Channel and not the file itself. Unfortunately I have no experience with PSP (being an Adobe Photoshop user) so I'm not sure if much help can be provided. Since the BBOM uses PSP as the example program, though, you might want to review that portion of the tutorial. If the problem persists, then the issue could be with the Gui_Global file (a misspelling or error in numbering).
Klingon: Your mother mates with toasters!
Data: How did you find out?!

CaptainFuture
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by CaptainFuture » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:53 pm

...if you need a special WF tutorial, get my tut here on AFC or on homepage... :wink: :)

Btw, are you using notepad or wordpad for changing the gui file :?:
Wordpad could do "crash-errors"... :idea: 8) :)
FREE THE UNIVERSE