The Permissions Thread (returned)........

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

SherlockHolmes
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by SherlockHolmes » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:47 pm

I see. I been attaching credits to the images since i started making the scenes. Some scenes I just use for personal fun. But I must say, all these models I have seen are magnificent. Its amazing how much better all these models are than the ones that come with the game. All you modelers do incredible work.

Sentinel
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Sentinel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:56 am

Now that i am startign to realse my work i think its time i posted in here.

Put me under CREDIT MUST BE GIVEN IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES

In my fiels it tells you to send me an email, but thats just to let me know ur using my item (Witch you dont have to do). I dont care if anyoen uses my work aslong as i get the credit for that model.

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:43 am

Now that the unlocked importer plug-in is being released, I have to update the conditions under which you can use my models.

My work can be used in other persons mods if they give proper credit in the read me, under the condition that this mod stays non commercial and is not uploaded to any form of paysite.

There are only 2 websites where I publish my work.
Armadafleetcommand.com
Armada2files.com
You may not upload my work to any other website as singular files.

You are not allowed to take my models change them in any form and re-release them.
You are not allowed to use my models in any form of kitbash, neither the model as a whole nor parts of it. I will never allow my work to be misused for that.

If you want to port my models to any other game and release it, you have to ask for permission first.
I like to know where my stuff is going around.

Captain_Bruce
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Captain_Bruce » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:22 am

Why is this even here? Don't get me wrong, I support artists rights, but legally no one needs to be credited for their works because they are copies of copyrighted work owned by Paramount or others. Original works may be copyrighted by their owners. This is just a little info to let you know that acting against members for disobeying the above is illegal and may be basis for a lawsuit. Again I believe in crediting artists and all submissions should do so but no permission should be required unless the models are original works not derived from copyrighted material.
With the dreamer dies the dream, with the dream dies the dreamer.

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Fallengraces wrote:wait where is the unlocked sod exporter and i agree with zman just because it isnt law doesn't mean it shouldnt be done
lol I've never seen this thread in my life. Its not even the same avy lol.
My Games:
NR2K3(750+ tracks;5000+ cars)
ST:BC(latest KM-custom) ST:Legacy(custom)
ST:Armada(custom) ST:Armada2(custom)
ST:FO(latest version)
SW:EAW(custom) SW:FOC(custom)
TF2: Name - 086gf

Captain_Bruce
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Captain_Bruce » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:10 pm

cabal wrote:This is here because it's polite to ask somebody for their permission to use their model that probably took a very long time. Further more, some people take somebody else's model, make minor changes to the mesh, and don't give credit to the original author.
The author doesn't matter, the material is derived from copyrighted star trek material, so any models are usable without the permission of the creator. To exhibit exclusive control over a work in the form of permissions is a violation of Paramount's copyright on any and all content related to or derived from Star Trek. Paramount controls permissions in this case and any other controller is illegal and may be sued by Paramount. Please listen to me, this is not about your work, everyone is proud of the models they make. This is a warning to let everyone know that permissions is a right reserved to copyright holders, and infringing on this right is asking for a lawsuit. Recently many fan-based groups have been persecuted by Blizzard over their games, and with the activision & blizzard merger, it is probably best for this community to avoid any possible copyright infringement, intentional or otherwise.

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:34 pm

Captain_Bruce wrote:
cabal wrote:This is here because it's polite to ask somebody for their permission to use their model that probably took a very long time. Further more, some people take somebody else's model, make minor changes to the mesh, and don't give credit to the original author.
The author doesn't matter, the material is derived from copyrighted star trek material, so any models are usable without the permission of the creator. To exhibit exclusive control over a work in the form of permissions is a violation of Paramount's copyright on any and all content related to or derived from Star Trek. Paramount controls permissions in this case and any other controller is illegal and may be sued by Paramount. Please listen to me, this is not about your work, everyone is proud of the models they make. This is a warning to let everyone know that permissions is a right reserved to copyright holders, and infringing on this right is asking for a lawsuit. Recently many fan-based groups have been persecuted by Blizzard over their games, and with the activision & blizzard merger, it is probably best for this community to avoid any possible copyright infringement, intentional or otherwise.
Oh hell no not this poop again!

Get educated--->http://forums.filefront.com/st-sc3-modd ... -news.html
My Games:

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Captain_Bruce

Just a question: How did you come to this conclusions?
Another: Where did you study law?

I think that you should know clearly what you are talking about before you start advocating the misuse of the materials and the violation of authors rights

You are talking here about an issue of copyrights and authors rights.
As you put it Copyright versus Authors/ Creators rights. And the uselessness of an author.

As far as I see it : No one has violated the rights of Paramount, or is infringing on them.

I recommend just for starters the following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authors_rights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Conv ... stic_Works

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Captain_Bruce
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Captain_Bruce » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:01 pm

If you read your own links you'd see that yes indeed by requiring permissions, you are exercising a right of the copyright holders to control material. Doing so is illegal because it violates the fair use agreement that allows one to create material related to star trek. Quite simply the right for permissions request is not a right you may hold under fair use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement
Note in this definition the phrase exclusive rights, and the right to distribute which does include permissions rights. Your permission is not required for content you create under fair use to be used by others includiing Paramount.

It's like writing a star trek fan-fic, you have the right to use ideas from star trek under fair use as long as you don't try to copyright or use rights of the copyright holders. Rights of copyright holders as per your wiki link are defined as:
Generally, it is "the right to copy", but usually provides the author with other rights as well, such as the right to be credited for the work, the right to determine who may adapt the work to other forms, who may perform the work, who may financially benefit from it, and other, related rights.

And yes, I study law at my local university and plan to one day pass the bar, not that it's any of your damn business.

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:00 pm

Again, look at the link I posted.
My Games:

Captain_Bruce
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Captain_Bruce » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:26 pm

What is there to look at? You are advocating the artists' rights, but they have no rights under fair use of star trek material and star trek doesn't pass into public domain for another 30 years, if that's what you are insinuating. Sorry, I know you want rights, but you have to hold a copyright. Unfortunately you can't!

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:07 am

Captain_Bruce. This is here because its courteous to recognise the free time and hard work that poeple put into what they allow others to have access to. How would you feel is some other "person" in the community was to take something you had spent hours, weeks and months on and rip it to pieces then re-release what they had done without even so much as an acknowledgement to you, the original author.

As for your claim that you can't hold a copyright. You are sorely innacurate with this statement. Paramount may hold a copyright over the star trek name and anything which uses that name, but a person who produces materials of their own construction has certain rights to those materials.

Now any further arguing of any kind and I'll be forced to edit the thread so that only the first initial posting (namely mine) would be visible and lock the thread.

I trust I've made MY position perfectly clear on the subject.

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:26 pm

Just a final word to it from my side:
Did we all forget the Software Licensing Agreement for Star Trek®: Armada II Editor ?

It is published worldwide on every Armada 2 Program Disk. It is out there since several years.
Read it closely.

If I have not misunderstood this text gravely we do have the right to create additional content.
According to this agreement we have no rights on any commercial usage of this material whatsoever.
But nowhere is it stated that we loose all other authors rights.

And by the way :Activision is a licensee of Paramount. So where does that leave us?
On the save side I guess.

So let us not create a problem where no problem exists.

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:17 pm

Everyone has my permission to use my work in their mods or in any other way they desire. I do consider it polite to credit those whose work you have used and/or been inspired by.

I make models for the fun of it. As most know, I don't take requests and I typically like to focus on Romulan models, especially Atolm's designs. I consider it a praise when someone uses and/or wants to use my work. MAP has put it very clearly "it is courteous to recognise the free time and hard work that poeple put into what they allow others to have access to." Just do the right thing with credits.

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:32 pm

i wont add anything that doesnt have proper credits just a fair warning :)