Star Trek Armada II: The Modding Contest

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Star Trek Armada II: The Modding Contest

Post by jolt »

Gather round people, and listen good!

This is a multi-forum post being made at (hopefully) the same time across the many Armada II forums, big AND small.
Spread the news like wild-fire and get ready for what I can only hope to be a fanastic event!

Armada 2: The Modding Contest
Sponsored by Armada II: Twilight

Upon constructing my own personal mod for Armada II, “Universal Siege”, I found there was a lack of material to get my hands on. I have also found that other modders are having a similar problem. It is also clear to see that modding is on a severe drop. I, obviously, wish to see Armada II being played for some time to come…

Since joining the Twilight team, we have the ability to make our own material, which as one can guess, is extremely helpful and saves an awful lot of time! Since joining the team, I have seen several non-staff members try their hand at modding and have come up with the idea of a wide range Armada modding contest!

You’re probably thinking, “Well, top modders are going to win this”…that’s not entirely true! Whilst we hope and somewhat expect the “best” modders to have a go, we hope for all modder’s of all kind to have a go in what is meant to be a bit of fun!

The modding contest will include many fields. The details for them are below:

-Best model.
This requires just a mesh. No more is required however complete item’s with textures and odf’s etc will please judge’s more. This includes stations as well. The best model from the seven races, those being the Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Species 8472, Borg and Dominion, will win and then an overall model design out of the 7 best from the respective races will be selected. Multi-ship or station packs are also allowed!
Judges will rate:
-Creativity
-Design
-Originality
-Looks vs. Poly Count
Bonus points are awarded for: 1) Level of completeness 2) Lower poly counts
Judges may also wish to consider: Canon

-Best special weapon.
This is either a concept or a new looking one!
Judges will rate:
-Originality
-Looks
-Ability

-Best map object.
Anything that you see in game related to a map comes here! Be it planets or backgrounds!
Judges will rate:
-Originality
-Looks vs. Poly count
-Design

-Best map.
Got a fun map? We allow any maps for any amount of people!
Judges will rate:
-Size vs. Fun factor
-Originality

-Sprite effect.
Although slightly more complicated, this is just generally a nice effect including a cool new interface, good set base of build buttons or an amazing animation sequence!
Judges will rate:
-Originality
-Design
-Fits with game
-Fun Factor

-Weapon texture.
Phasers look off? Think you can do a good new quantum torpedo? This is the slot for you! Single or pack’s can be entered.
Judges will rate:
-Fits with race
-Looks
Bonus points are awarded for: Added animation sequence
Judges may also wish to consider: Canon looks

-AI.
Got a cracking Ai for one or more of the stock 6 races?
Judges will rate:
-Difficulty of Ai

EDIT
-Due to popular demand, a combined field of Total Conversion's and Addon's has been added to the list. I expect this to be the last addon as I think everything else is pretty much covered.

The judges may wish to consider the obvious of:
Size vs. Fun Factor
Originality
Overall Improvement

If these are too big to upload onto a gmail account, an alternate way of getting the mod to us will be required which you can mention in the mail. Pictures in the meantime would be appreciated.
END EDIT

-A1 field.
The best single mod for Armada 1 be it a single ship, ability or an entire conversion!
Judges will rate:
-Originality
-Size vs. Ability

The winners of each field will have their modification handed to staff at the major modding sites to upload and with this gain prestige amongst their peers in the Armada community!

Like any competition though, there are rules, which are expected to be followed precisely.

The rules are simple:

-The mod itself doesn’t have to be new; it can be an already made one so long as it was completed in the last 2 months. Just bring it to our attention so we can judge it!

-Cheating. Anybody found using an altered piece of work without permission or found trying to pass of someone else’s work as their own would be immediately disqualified. Not only this but information regarding that person would be spread to other modding sites…you have been warned! Remember, this is for fun!

-The staff of the Twilight team (including it’s VIP staff) will be the judges. This is to allow for fair moderating in the categories AND we have a varied team, each experts at something in the game.

-A requirement for entering this contest is that the Twilight team has an automatic right to be able to use the mod in it. Editing the mod though, will like any other, require permission from the author first. This applies even to a non-winning mod. However, if a mod has been completed or used via cheating, it shall be removed and Twilight will not use the material.

-A modder may submit as many files as they wish but we suggest that focusing on one will yield better results.

-To have your mod entered you will need to send it to the Twilight gmail account at:
the.twilight.team@gmail.com
If the mod is large, ie, above 10mb, please provide another link to where we are able to see it or email us to grant permission for another way of getting a hold of your mod. To let others see though, you may post images of your work (we remind posters that to have a hosting site NOT on the forums, please post links or IMG tags) in the relevant boards at:
http://a2upgrades.net/hosted/twilight/index.php#14
Whilst there, please feel free to observe the construction of the Armada II: Twilight mod.

-Competition entries will be denied after the date of Sunday the 16th of December 2005. We expect the judging to be confirmed around New Year.

Thank you for your time and remember:
Have fun and start modding!

Jolt, “Twilight team”
Last edited by jolt on Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Engage!

"A2 Files Site Admin...darn proud of it too!"
MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne »

Whislt forum protocol dictates that links to other forums are prohibited, permission was requested BEFORE this was posted. Therefore it is not to be deleted until otherwise specified to do so.
jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt »

Thank you again Major Payne :D
Engage!

uss_capital
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by uss_capital »

this could be a good thing , then again it could cause problems 8O
Cylon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Cylon »

sounds intresting
is there some kind of prize?
jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt »

To some it won't be a lot, but the winner of each field would get a heck of a lot of prestiege for winning it (I've broadcasted this message to as many sites as I knew, and those are putting those out etc etc.) and I'm sure some sort of avatar or signature pic. prize could be arranged.

The main benefit is hopefully the amount of new mods or ships etc. that should come to surface, that si beneficial for the entire community.
Engage!

halo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by halo »

hey i like the idea dont get me wrong but the isnt this some lame exscuse for your team twilight to take other peoples hardwork and merge it with your own!

if not sighn me up for:
-Best special weapon.

AND

-Weapon texture.

People who shoud enter:

At Major Payne you should enter the contest for best model man ive seen a lot of your work

E.O should entire his models for the klingons as they pwn mine and a lot of others

theres more but this is not the right place for this!
jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt »

I won't lie and say "Twilight has no intention of using the materials" cause quite frankly, if they're that good we would like to use them, like I'm sure many mod teams or modders would like to do if the oppourtunity arose. If we did, yes it says we have an automatic right, but I would never let that be the end-all. I would get permission anyhow, it's just there in case somebody doesn't read all the rules etc. (I'm glad you read ALL of them though :D)

EDIT: Sorry, I know this is quite a late edit but its for Halo's benefit as I've had chance to think about the wording.

The "right" is there so if for some bizarre reason you didn't like me, or the Twilight team for whatever reason, we still have the right to be able to ask to use the mod. I hope that makes sense.

END EDIT

Still, the main point of this excercise is to get people back/into modding and to provide the community with a little bit more!
Last edited by jolt on Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Engage!

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic »

I replied to this on my forums Jolt. But I will again here. I will be submitting my replacement Federation mod once I get my computer back and finish the mod. :wink:
MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne »

Halo. I won't be entering this compeition so whilst I appreciate the suggestion its not necessary. Besides, who do you think is going to be helping judge this little shindig.
Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis »

jolt wrote:The "right" is there so if for some bizarre reason you didn't like me, or the Twilight team for whatever reason, we still have the right to be able to ask to use the mod. I hope that makes sense.
You have the 'right' to ask any modder to use their mod/model/whatever, competition or no competition.
It would be courteous though, to allow entrants to specify whether they want their stuff included in Twilight or not.
jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt »

I intended to do a general mail to all those with material we wish to use or whatever while the judging was taking place. That way we can do it and don't have to keep doing it with every other person.

That would additionally help to remind people that they're still in the contest, lol, should they have forgotten.

Anyhow, we've already had our first entrant and I expect to see quite a lot by the end of the week. So it is taking off!
Engage!

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne »

Generalising a single email for the masses is not how things should be done Jolt. The thing is, modders might allow usage of one item they create but that might not extend to everything they produce. Just remember to bare that in mind.
jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt »

True. Anyhow, this is 2 months away, so no need to worry about it immediately. :)
Engage!

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman »

Jolt,

Is there a limit on the poly count for the models submitted?

Pepperman