EoC: Independence War II mod for Armada

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

EoC: Independence War II mod for Armada

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:48 pm

Hello modders!

Besides my thoughts about a small Babylon 5 mod, I was thinking about a mod consisting of units and ships from the Edge Of Chaos - Independence War II game.
The ships and techs featured in this game are great! Many things, like Gatling-guns, cutting lasers, reactive shields, jump accelerators (some kind of jump gates) and many more can be realized in Armada 2 (and maybe in Armada 1)

Earth and its colonies are mostly ruled by Megacorporations like Maas Industries. They keep the civilian citizens to their feet. Most of the citizens have to work all day to get enough money to pay fees and depts to the Corporations that financed their voyage from the overcrowded inner colonies to the outer colonies. The government is more or less a puppet, controlled by the Corporations.
But in the outer colonies resistance is rising. The people do not want to work forever for the MegaCorporations.

The parties for the armada game would be:

The Space Navy/Police:
At first, the Navy was a armed unit to stop riots, to fulfill ceremonial tasks and as support for the police forces. Even if the breakdown of the classic governmental body and its sold out to the Corporations, the Navy is a more or less independent force.
Financed by local fees, the Navy consists of troops from all the core worlds.
Even if the Navy is commanded by the marionette government, its peace securing mission had not changed for the last 200 years.
Observers are unsure about the side the Navy would choose, when a conflict between the civilian population and the Corporations would erupt, as it should defend the interest of the governement - and so the interests of the corporations.

Maas Corporation:
The Maas Corporation, led by Caleb Maas and founded by his father, is the most influential Corporation existing.
It has its own military force, bases and large industrial complexes within the whole known space.
The Maas Corporation controlls the press and tv of the outer colonies and is even allowed to use its military as a police force to control ships, freighters and other units.

The League:
Within the Badlands, a group of outer colonies, a new alliance of different independent factions was created to fight a pirat organisation called "Marauders" and the influence of the MegaCorporations. It could be said, that this is a people's liberation army.

Marauder:
The Marauder are a Terrorist/Pirat fraction with the assumed support of some larger Corporations like Maas Industries, even if they also raid convois of these corporations.
They kill everything in their way. The positions of their bases are not known, so that they can strike everywhere at every time they choose.

Right now I am searching for modders who would like to participate, especially for odfs, balancing, wireframes etc.

Who can do what and who wants to?

please post here or send me a private message or send an e-mail to:
eas_intrepid@freenet.de

intrepid out.
Fighting member of the Four Star Alliance!
It has begun...

halo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by halo » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:39 pm

as i have just completed my own mod id be happy t help out man as long as you know what your getting in to...

time: if you want a mod thats good or better your going to need a lot of it

experience: weather it be your own skills or others to help guide the mod on to beta state from wich you fix errors and realese said mod.

stress pills: i recomend cigaretts but any good placebo will do...

finaly, these are the things your going to need dude

Scetches drawing images.etc. from wich the models can be made from
(also your going to need them to send to your modeler if you are planing to need a modeler)

a zip program

3d design software (i use milkshape but there are others

exporters ie .ms3d to .sod

tga creator or image software of your chosing (ver very important even if your not going to use it to make your textures)

a notepad(text editor of your chosing)

a idea of which game platform you are going to implement said mod to i.e armada1 or 2 or both...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now with that said i would like to ask a question to you do you have a forum from wich the mod team can chat at each other also to upload images and programs etc

do you know how to model???

_______________________________________________________--

get a hold of me and will talk,
mind you i have a baby on the way(20 days to due date for sure know) and work full time but other than that im on line all the time,

halo out

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:28 pm

Well, I can model. Iam a beginner, but hey, you do not need to do EVERYTHING, right. And I know what I am getting into! So halo, do you know the game and be with me?

BTW: This would be a design from the game. A ship called Devastator.

are there other modders who may want to take part?
It has begun...

uss_capital
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by uss_capital » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:27 pm

if you are using the ships from that game , be careful as copyright might be enforced

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:49 pm

Not to put a halt on your production Intrepid, but I would suggest you check over the original games ELUA and see if theres anything in there that states about reverse engineering anything from the game because as USS_Capital quite rightly states. If you infringe any copyright law then nasty things happen, and it'll be modding wasted. Do your homework BEFORE you start on any hard graft. If al is well then good news, and at that point, I'll say this much. If I can help (and I make no promises), then give me a yell with any request. Just remember how limited my free time is at the current time.

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:49 pm

Thanks USS_Capital and Major_Payne for the advise. I checked it and there is np problem using the DESIGNs of the game. Well, I think I will rebuild the ships with MS3D anyway, instead of converting them. I tried the conversion and it looked awful!

I am happy to state, that Schattenkanzler joined me in the mod.
I finally decided to do the mod for A2, since there were some posibilities A1 does not have.

BUT WE NEED PEOPLE DOING AI AND SODs, SPRITES AND SO ON!

BTW: I am working on the first ships already. I think a screenshot of the MS3D model should be posted here this week.

Intrepid out.
It has begun...

halo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by halo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:29 am

yes i know the game and to be honest it would be nice to see it in armada as the original game kinda sucks in user freindly nes lol

any ways i shall ofer my services(sods weapons textures odfs movies and guis/buildbuttons models*) and i pose a second question to afc admins may we ask to have are own section here on armadafleetcommand.com so as we can have a place to chat amoungst are selfs and have others see what were coming up with? as long as this is alright with intrepid!!

btw intrepid you made that model yourself did you not??? As the originals from the game have a hard code to use in 3d modeling programs.. i know i have tried lol

*models: not very good but am trying to be better!

whohaw15
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by whohaw15 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:05 am

ill be glad to offer my skills with odfs, sprites, and other writings. if i get a new comp then ill work on modeling but until then ill help with what i can. just let me know if u need me.

halo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by halo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:23 am

any more takers? looking forward to what afc has to say about this!

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:24 am

Hello!

Whohaw15, halo, welcome to the team.

Fine with me for our own section,halo.
I'll send an e-mail to you and to Schattenkanzler to give a detailed report.

But at first: This is the first ship I build, it is a fast attack ship.

BTW: The ship shown before was not build by me. It is a picture from the game.
It has begun...

halo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by halo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:16 pm

not bad but are you going to use the textures from the game it self?

only aking as it might not fit on most of your models

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:29 pm

Well, I tried the game textures and it looked horrible. So I think we need to make our own textures. That will take some time, because the I-War ships have more complex textures than the one from Babylon 5.
I think, I can send the ship from above tomorrow evening to you and Schattenkanzler for the first odf!
As there are a different versions of the ship (corporate, navy) both of you do not need to do the same odf.
Then I think we should start with the basic odfs, right?

Suggestions, comments?
It has begun...

halo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by halo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:57 pm

of course will be glad to make the odf for her but you will need to send a node list so as to make the weapons and criticals aply to her corectly as we dont want weapons shoting from inside the back of the tail through the bridge do we lol

(quick tip if you forgot to write down the nodes (hp's) then go ahead and use assimsofts storm 3d to view the sod and then make a node list or even better a hp map.)
any more ships that we might feast are eyes upon lol

and finnaly il look at the tetures and see if i can make them over agin in paintshop(will probably need high res textures and low res textures for different sytems upon release)

Edit: heres a ship design if u chose to use it lol

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:10 pm

Yes, I'll use this design.
BUT, anything I posted or promised to sent to halo or Schattenkanzler will need a while, since I am a delegate to an internatinal forum and so I have to do debate work for about 9-10 hours a day, I do not have too much time.
Thanks for your attention.
So I'll continue within the next days, when the debate forum has finished.
It has begun...

halo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by halo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:28 pm

no worries man dont spread your self two thin! ill make some models and post them here just check back here and see whats goin on, when u have time all of us will get cookin!