Armada 2 modding: Lets get real....... idea for new mod.

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

danteger
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Armada 2 modding: Lets get real....... idea for new mod.

Post by danteger » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:41 am

whenever i play armada2 i keep asking myself where in reality the crew would come from, when a starbase or science sation or even mine station is bulid. they pop out of nowhere.... i mean, your construcion ship has like x crew, so when the station is finnished, whats left should be like x-(minus)number of crew for the staion. :idea: that gave me an idea for a more challenging gameplay:

you start with the starbase and your construction ship. to raise the number of your crew you gotta build a shipyard and then the colony ship. after colonizing a planet, all population/spacemen has to be beamed upon starcrafts and taken to the new build /empty stations and ships, if your number raises above the number of crew given at the start.

i dont know if any AI would be able to play that way in A2, but it would surely be more realistic, much more difficult and some fine micromanagement...

but i am no modder - could you do it?

Captain_H
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Captain_H » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:11 pm

It is an interesting idea, but it takes away from the gameplay.
Check out my Myspace page (still a work in progress but anyways)
http://www.myspace.com/captainh6440

Cylon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Cylon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:23 pm

u could edit the odf files so eveything has no crew when its built so u would have to beam crew over.
There is probably a way to get rid of the recrew button aswell.

Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:00 am

Hmmm if I remember right, if you have a ship built with crew at 0, the game assumes the unit functions without crew (like the alien species in A1 and some other units)

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:10 am

That is correct. A ship can basically fly around with no crew (ie, Automated shuttle drones, etc).
Happy trails to you...except without the "till we meet again" part...

Cylon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Cylon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:33 am

what about giving it a crew of like 1 then having a max crew of higher like the starbases are build with 150 and can get more crew

danteger
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by danteger » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:10 am

captain h - why does it take away from the gameplay? it just adds another level, if the ai would have to do so, it would be the same game, same mission: just kill them all.....