Year Of Fire Mod *Image Heavy*

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

iOSYS
Ensign
Ensign

Year Of Fire Mod *Image Heavy*

Post by iOSYS »

Hey. Last time I posted, I was talking about a Star Control mod. Well, as it turns out, alot of the ideas where not feasible for Armada 1, but instead of just abandoning the idea, I and the other person I'm working on this with have decided to so something very similar, and with most of the same ideas. However instead of Star Control, the mod is about an original sci fi universe being constructed by us for a website that will eventually have animated features, storys, artwork, forums, etc.

Anyhow, This mod "year of fire" [working Title] Will feature a Balance/Counter system I already have working quite well. Using specific damage/accuracy, ships have specific purposes. The basic food chain goes like this:

Battleships are vulnerable to fighter swarms. Fighters are vulnerable to cruisers, which can be taken out by groups of destroyers or battleships. Destroyers are killable by battleships unless in large numbers. And fighters are moderately able to deal with destroyers.

It is a soft counter system compared to some games, but it works very well. The goal is to make each ship have a purpose, so you don’t just end up building 9 groups of 1 unit. If you don’t build a good cross section of things, what you have will be easily killable.

Currently, the races are as follows: (the names are as they are spoken in the alien tongues, it is mere coincidence that they sound like Human words)

-Muffin Confederation. A group of bipedal bears, who’s original ways of self defence have turned into general over-aggression. They have become one of the most militaristic races in the galaxy.

-The territorial, xenophobic Food Empire, who have been at war with the Muffins for nearly a decade, and are in a state of cold war with the Gigantans. They migrated to their planet from another planet. The process is believed to have radically altered their physiology, making them much more intelligent then the apelike (well, owl like) counterparts on the original world.

-The Gigantans, a resource crazy race who have at this point exhausted almost all resources. They aided the side of the last food civil war that lost, and are now considered enemies of the current rule, but the Foods know they cant fight the Gigantans and Muffins at the same time, so the Gigantans are on the waiting list.

-The Alliance, or League. A group of minor powers, who have banded together to halt the advnance of the Gigantans. The need for an alliance arose from the well Gigantans hunger for resources.

There are several other factions and minor powers who will also be present in some way or another. Most of the models already exist in high poly form, for the website mentioned above. The ingame models are mostly the low detail version I made for background shots, which use renders of the high poly models for textures. It seemed like if I was going to be making low poly models anyway, I might as well make a game out of them.

Now, although I don’t have many screenshots ingame, I present the bunch I have:

Gigantan and Muffin ships engaged in Broadside combat

A Muffin fleet Eats some fighters for Breakfast

Muffin ships shell an offscreen target

Civil war!

Like most anti fighter vessles, Gigantan "Bsd-89" classes can target multiple enemy combatants at once

a small fleet holds off incoming fighters

2 Gigantan ships jump past lightspeed

A Gigantan cruiser’s railguns range is doubled by the presence of a spotter.

Railguns!

The Muffin fleet so far

The Gigantan fleet so far

A food Heavy cruiser

And some high detail shots to show what I'm trying to achieve ingame, and some of the high poly version of the low poly models above:

Anyhow, C&C welcome, and I would love to know who is interested/if anyone would like to help beta test some time soon.
uss_capital
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by uss_capital »

all i can say is WOW 8O , if needed i would beta test this :wink:
iOSYS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by iOSYS »

Glad you like it so far. I'll get info to you about testing once it becomes relevant
Methos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Methos »

lmao,I like the names you have there,the mighty Muffins.

So far the mod looks interesting enough,what else can you tell us about the weapons,spweapons,resource types,tech,and so on?

Also I can beta test.
iOSYS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by iOSYS »

Well, lets see...

Resources will happen mostly the same, except dilithium it now called metal. Ideas I have include different mining style for each race. Like 1 race might use mining shuttles, which each travel really quickly and only carry small amounts of metal, meaning you need more then just 3 per mine. Others might be the opposite with slow moving super freighters.

Another resource thing is that I hope to make officers actually act as an effective cap system. I'm going to try to have it so that you start out with a very small number of officers, and then you will need to actually use the officers upgrades continually. Or for another race (if I can get it working) officer upgrade buildings, similar to supply depots in Starcraft.

As for weapons:
The Gigantans use medium-long range weapons. Most of the long range weapons are longer range then a ships sensor range, so the Gigantan spotter unit is helpful. The thing is that the longer range a weapon gets, the less damage it does.

The Muffins have a variety of weapons, mostly medium range. Good power, lowish accuracy for the most part. They probably use the hardest counter system. A battleship cannot beat a swarm of fighters. A fighter group cannot beat a cruiser, etc. Other races tend to be slightly softer.

Foods use short range weapons that pack a large punch, if you can get close enough. This also makes missiles weapons (the only long range food weapon) highly useful.

League weapons style is still undecided.

Only a few special weapons set up right now, but here goes:
-a high powered triggerable beam weapon for the Gigantan battleship equivalent. Since this ship makes up for its tremendous range (1.5 screen lengths) with weak armour/weapons, this slow recharge gun ensures it has a chance in a 1 on 1 fight, which degrades a close range fight.

Most ships have the ability to use ftl devices to rapidly navigate to explored regions. The heavier a ship is, the shorter range its ftl is.

Each race features an assault vessel which uses boarding pods.

The Muffin troopship also has a high-powered ground attack gun, (that can be used against spacecraft at the expense of accuracy) which makes up for its non-existant standard weapons.

I have some other ideas too, like a trigger able missile for a light food unit, a psychic attack for a Muffin ship, etc.

I really don’t know how tech tree will work yet, except that the Gigantans may use an entirely modular station network.
Methos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Methos »

Well that's one approach to mining,perhaps a mobile mining station for a race.

If you use carriers,the Cardy drones Sp. can be used for tatical fighter strike weapon.

As for the office upgrade,it should work. Also have you thought about Admirals? Like what was done in Conquest:FW.Admiral shuttles could join a ship giving it a stat boost depending on the Admiral used.

And the borg's friget ship SP. could be used for supplyships for ships that use special energy for the standard weapons,they would a weak link to a fleet.

Also a precursor type tech could be made the same as the Admiral tech,only it would give a single ship advanced weapons,shields,or engines.But it can only be used once per ship class.

Just some ideas.

Any idea of the percent done on the mod so far?
iOSYS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by iOSYS »

Well, I have navies for the Gigantans, Foods, and Muffins almost all done and Ingame. The main units atleast. The League side is as yet untouched, but the other races have a fully working set of about half a dozen standard weapons each as well.

I have some peripheral ships, such as a mining ship, scout ships, etc. But no stations yet. So, after much deliberation, The number I assign to my mods completion is 15-20%

Also, its for a1, meaning no carrier drones, or auto mining stations :( But superior game play to A2 :)
blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 »

Fantastic looking ships there. That looks like a great mod.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to
Methos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Methos »

iOSYS wrote:Also, its for a1, meaning no carrier drones, or auto mining stations :( But superior game play to A2 :)

Drat!!,Well I'll just update it to A2 when you release it.
jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew »

I like A1 better, it does have better gameplay. I'd like to beta test--of course
by the way, are you doing this mod all by your self?
I like your weapon textures.
great ships too--especially in high poly format!
jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew »

hey josys, do have an extremely approximate estimated release date for this yet?
jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew »

I think this mod should have its own forum. does anyone else think that?
WarrenG12
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by WarrenG12 »

yeah i agree...this needs a forum because this mod is looking great
iOSYS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by iOSYS »

Looking at some time during 2007, thats all I got for now release date wise. I should really post more on Afc about this, there is much more about it on A2 files at the moment.
Sentinel
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Sentinel »

Dude this mod looks awsome..however...y did u choose MUFFINS as a race name lol???

Just out of curiosity...but yeah this mod looks SWEET!