How do I get a base / station to vanish in the distance?

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

How do I get a base / station to vanish in the distance?

Post by shadow » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:18 pm

I do have a problem with some bases during gameplay. They do not vanish in the distance, but are visible even from a very very long distance. Sometimes even from half the size of a large map away. That´s a 18000 unit distance on some of my larger maps.

That just doesn’t make sense for gameplay but also puts an extra workload on the graphics card.

Does anybody know how this is done?
How do I get a station to vanish / fade in the distance ?
At least I could change my own models in that respect.

Sentinel
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Sentinel » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:14 pm

I dont knwo if it is possible in A1, but im not sure. but keep this in mind

"Impossible is an extremely overrated word" - Adam (Phantom)

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:40 am

Seems that I forgot to mention that it is a problem that I have with A2. lol

There must be a solution. Since stock models and some models I downloaded do vanish in the distance. Others I downloaded as well as my own do not.

S618-18741
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by S618-18741 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:45 pm

Since I havent modded A2 since i started modding for FT I dont remember propperly but I believe most models had several LOD (level of detail) meshes each simpler than the last so the further away you got the less polys were on screen, presumable if the last one of these LOD meshes was nothing then the ship would not apear over a certain distance.

I think the same might apply for armada 1 but havent used it myself.

Try importing a stock A2 model and looking at the hardpoint layout for the geometry "tree"

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:38 am

I have looked into the stock models to learn a bit about the usage of LOD´s, but got the impression that it is used somewhat at will.

There are models that do not use LOD at all. Some have only one LOD and just one joint in the hierarchy. Others like bbase use 2 LOD´s with several meshes linked to them.

The usage seems to be a bit strange though.
In bbase for example are meshes showing the same wall but with different levels of detail.
Just like you wrote and they seem to be used as you said.

Other meshes are linked just to one LOD and have no duplicate at all.
They are either LOD1 or LOD2.

Since LOD2 meshes are smaller and add detail to the model at closer distance I came to the conclusion that LOD1 is used for meshes to be seen on longer distance, LOD2 meshes for detail at closer range.
So much to bbase.

I changed the hierarchy of one of my own models accordingly but got a strange result.

All meshes that where liked to LOD1 where invisible all LOD2 meshes showed up.

Changed the hierarchy again, linked all meshes to LOD1 and they showed up.
Changed the Linkage again, just to see what happens, and linked them all to LOD2 and everything showed up also.

The in game performance was different though. The SOD with all meshes linked to LOD1 vanished earlier than the SOD with all meshes lined to LOD2.

I expected it to be the other way round. Strange thing also, the same model with no LOD at all seems to be in between those two.

Since almost all of my models have a high poly count, I guess that the number of polys in a mesh is also a contributing factor, but I am not sure at that.

Think I have to experiment a bit further.

The usage of LODs still has some secrets to me.

ryan1
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by ryan1 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:18 pm

ART_CFG.h file contains the settings for this sort of thing to do with cameras and the distance at which objects can be seen.

(there is a lot in that file actually, it just doesn't get modded much.)