NEW MOD IN PRODUCTION Warning: image heavy

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:04 pm

Here's something I've been wondering for some time now:
should I switch this mod to armada2 instead of 1?
the reasons for armada 1 are:
everything except physics
the reasons for armada 2 are:
you can actually slow down a ship's stupid turn rate.
Last edited by jnddepew on Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:59 am

Have you tried rigging the klingon death chant to reduce the turn rate?

Give one of your starting units (the starbase perhaps) a self-firing death chant with modifiers set as:

FireModifier = 1
RepairModifier = 1
TurnModifier = 0.05
DamageModifier = 1
SpeedModifier = 1
HitModifier = 1

You'd have to get rid of the overlay icon and increase the range considerably. But it should work in theory.

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:31 pm

Why not simply create a brand new set of physics files?

That is what we did for FT's Defiant Classes so they will actually roll on an almost perfect verticle angle, and restricted larger ships so they couldn't turn with vast amounts of pitch angle.

Armada 2 is too restrictive in comparison to Armada 1 Modding from experience. There is no room for expansion on Armada 2, only what you have been given :/ - unless ur Fleetops and re-write the hard-code and get it banned from being published on all large fileshare networks and websites for breach of copyrights and end user agreements :P

Stick with A1 :)

Ad'

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:54 pm

hey Mr. Vulcan! thanks for the advice! I suppose I would have to equip all ships of every race with the modified death chant, but that's still a good idea.

Phantom, how do you create a brand new set of physics files?
thanks.

I always felt sorry thinking of the poor Starfleet crew members being thrown from wall to wall every time the ship turned. of course the default for A2 is even worse as far as turning. It really makes the player think that the ships are as small as they are shown in the game.

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:38 pm

MrVulcan wrote:Have you tried rigging the klingon death chant to reduce the turn rate?

Give one of your starting units (the starbase perhaps) a self-firing death chant with modifiers set as:

FireModifier = 1
RepairModifier = 1
TurnModifier = 0.05
DamageModifier = 1
SpeedModifier = 1
HitModifier = 1

You'd have to get rid of the overlay icon and increase the range considerably. But it should work in theory.
wouldn't

TurnModifier = 0.05

just make it so it increased the turnrate by 0.05?

I tried this idea with -10, but there wasn't any change.

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:45 pm

hmmm, you're right. THe turn modifier line seems to do nothing at all.

Something else I've noticed though. If you set SpeedModifier = 0.2. the ship's top speed is reduced. However, turn rate is still based on the old top speed. THerefore, the turn rate is reduced as well.

I'm thinking the following:

Multiply the ship's normal impulse and warp speeds by some factor and reduce the ship's speed in the death chant weapon by the same factor. This, again, in theory :P, should reduce the turn rate without affecting the ship's top speed.

I'll test this first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Don't give up yet. More importantly, don't let some silly turn rate force you to change the mod over to A2.

I haven't fully studied how physics work in A1, but it seems that the turn rate is calculated out of the other values (speed, roll angles, stiffness etc..) I'll give it another look if this theory fails as well.

Cheers,
Mr. V

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:56 pm

I still am waiting for phantom to tell me how to do the brand new set of physics files. by the way. I added the second ship to the sognos and am getting ready to add the portculot missile cruiser. i'll have some screenies soon