which files to mod

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

which files to mod

Post by pepperman »

Question: Which files in Armada I need to be edited to change the picture or scene that is displayed while you are waiting for the mod to be loaded…the one right after where all the selections are made in Instant Action. I tried editing the bitmap file in the bitmaps\main folder but evidentially this isn’t the file that is being used.

I know it can be changed because I have seen other mods that have different screens there. For example, the Star Trek Alliances mod has different images of ships that are displayed during the start-up.
graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton »

I am not exactly sure where this file can be found. I just looked through the Bitmaps folder in the main A1 directory, unmodded except for a few of your ships :) There image does not appear to be there, so it must be somewhere else. I know that in Alliances (first that comes to mind) there are several different background pictures that are displayed while loaded. I will look into it further
Melior Posco Venia Quam Scisco Licentia
Sentinel
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Sentinel »

Ok, that loading screen is made by two things

1. Stalogo.sod

2. Mbgx.sod

You can change the backroudn by useing a premade one or making a new one and naming it mbgx.sod

same with the logo, but its more complicated.

If you want me to tell you the best wa yto do it let me know.
pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman »

Thanks, but I am not sure about the Mbgx.sod file but I have had time to mod it to see what happens.

Does anyone know which files to mod to change the Instant Action (game setup) screen. I would like to know how to change the layout as well as the color of the text used on theat screen.

Does anyone know if any tutorials exsist for modding these aspects of Armada (1 or 2)
Achilles
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Achilles »

not sure the layout can be changed, if it can I dont know how. the bitmaps for the buttons and backgrounds etc are in the bitmaps folder.

As for your loading screen I made an animated one for alliances, I think I changed the loading sod to an error sod and changed the error sod to a rectangle that filled the screen with animated textures....
graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton »

You posted this over on A2files too, I don't think that there's any way to change the instant action layout screen. It's probably hardcoded into Armada. Alliances, and Fleet Operations in A2, changed the textures of the layout, as in making them look different, but I don't know what you can do to change the layout. If you find out though, that would be pretty cool :)
pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman »

I spent the last several day combing thru a host of files and cannot see any way to change the layout so I believe you all are correct in thinking that it is hard coded into the game. I took a stab at changing the textures just for the fun of it. Will post some shots of it if anyone is interested...took the quick and easy approaching of modifying A2 file for A1.
graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton »

I'd love to see some pics, even if it is just from a2. :)
pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman »

Okay, here are a few of the screen captures to show the change.
graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton »

I like them a lot; they're a nice change of scenery. Looks kind of like the A2 bitmaps. I like the change of background scenery too, it's a nice touch. Are you planning on releasing these, or are you getting ready for a mod :?:
Anyway, I like 'em :D
Sentinel
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Sentinel »

Those....Those things are NICE