Frontiers mod

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Frontiers mod

Post by graviton » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:03 pm

Has anyone ever heard of a small mod called Frontiers? Hopefully not, because it's the working title of an A1 mod that I'm going to try and make. Since I haven't bothered to buy Milkshape yet and I'm not that great of a modeller / texturer anyway, Frontiers will mostly be composed of ships, stations, map objects, etc. that were made by other members of the community. Permissions note: If I'm going to use your stuff, I'll first take a look at the permissions thread in the general modding forum, and if your name's not there, I'll do my best to contact you as far as permission.

I'll mostly be focusing on replacing and adding on to all of the units. I am not going to give a release date because I have a fair amount of things going on this summer and I don't really want to tie myself down all that much. The mod will probably keep the four main races, but add more ships for the map races too. Unless I find out how to implement more than four races. As it's mostly ODF editing, I don't really need much help for now, but I may ask somebody to help with the GUI or something, later on in the mod. Anyways, comments are welcome. :)
Melior Posco Venia Quam Scisco Licentia

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:47 pm

good luck

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:00 am

Always good to hear that there is another mod starting to take shape out there. Can you tell a little about the mod; mod background and your vision for it :P What era will you be focusing on or will this be an alternate reality mod? :)

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:41 pm

Sorry, that was kind of a bad time to make the post; I left for a weeklong camping trip just after the post and returned yesterday. :roll:
Anyway, thanks for the encouragement guys! I think that the mod will take place around 2395, sixteen years after the Nemesis incident. I've always been more interested in the future :) . Older ships will probably be included on maps or as refits, and some of these older ships will have advantages over newer ones (If you want an example of older tech having advantages over newer tech, watch First Contact. The Borg have personal shields on each drone that are extremely advanced and adapt to weapons. But their shields redirect energy; they have no way of preventing damage caused by projectile weapons that fire solid objects. The Borg just don't understand why you would use such an inferior, ancient weapon, so they don't take that into account when designing protection.)

NOTE:
Races will be detailed separately in a later post, as my original was massive and the site refused it. :D

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:10 pm

Due to several factors, Frontiers is no longer going to be released publicly. The main reason was the release of the unlocked importer for Milkshape, allowing me to convert from anything into the mod. Releasing publicly requires me to request permissions from people, but if it is just my private mod than nobody cares. In the future, when I have the time and willpower to do this, a public release might happen.
Not that anybody cares because I never really said anything about it :wink:

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:15 pm

Well, that's a little dissapointing. But what ever works best for you. You should start to ask for permissions now in the case that you decide to release the mod publicly in the future. Can't hurt to ask, right?

In any case, good luck on your mod and have fun.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:45 am

Graviton. Your best bet is to not give up simply because of one problem. Remember that whilst collecting permissions can be a lengthy buisiness it can be well worth it. Besides which look around. There are far better models in other communities than this one. Aside from that feel free to look in the 3dmax archive (hint. Not everyone releases work which is 3dmax specific...... :P )

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. :)
I have been to several other sites and found some models that may appear in Frontiers...
Major Payne, I have looked through the 3ds max section and am actually in the slow process of converting and hardpointing a whole pile of different models, a lot of which are yours. I would like to use some of them, with your permission. I'll send you a pm.
I'll post a few screenshots when I get around to it :wink:

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:55 pm

OK, I've left this thread for a while, but I've been quietly working away :)
One of my current priorities is the race.odf file. I have everything in place for a fifth race (in A1), just a simple test with a starbase and a scout. They are using a racename of epsilon in the coding. AI files, GUI files, gui_global, SOD, textures, event file (whew that took a while to go through) is all in place. Race.odf is modified. Everything should work, and nothing has crashed yet. However, the dang game won't recognize it as a playable race!!!

So I want to know if there is a) a race limit in race.odf and b) a special variable that must be used somewhere to denote it as a playable race.

graviton
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by graviton » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:19 pm

As far as races, Frontiers will probably have as playable (if I don't get the fifth race going :wink: ) these races:

United Federation of Planets
Oh man there are so many ships for the feds that I'm really going to have to pick and choose what I want :D . Might throw a few Vulcan ships in as science ships.

Borg Collective
I've got some evil special weapons for them :twisted:

Star Alliance
An amalgamation of the Romulan and Reman empires. They focus not as much on firepower but on special weapons...

Undecided...
I may keep the Klingons, or replace them with the Dominion/Breen. No matter the final decision, the race that's not playable will be on the map.

pal23
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by pal23 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:04 am

wat happend to futre tense lol?
n/a

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:08 pm

1) You will be patient.

2)Stop asking this in the wrong places.
My Games:
NR2K3(750+ tracks;5000+ cars)
ST:BC(latest KM-custom) ST:Legacy(custom)
ST:Armada(custom) ST:Armada2(custom)
ST:FO(latest version)
SW:EAW(custom) SW:FOC(custom)
TF2: Name - 086gf