Adding A new playable race to A!

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

KlingonMage
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Adding A new playable race to A!

Post by KlingonMage » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:54 pm

Allright, I know it has to be dooable, but I just cant seem to figure out how to get a new race to appear as selectable in the Instant action mode. Has anyone broken ground on this issue?

If anyone could offer me some insight/advice, ide greatly appriciate it.

Thanks!

AFC
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by AFC » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:58 pm

sorry impossible

KlingonMage
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by KlingonMage » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Yes, it looks like it may be nearly impossible, mabey. I'm not really convinced, but I'm going in another direction for my idea, namily replacing the federation's ship list via techtree.

Anyone know if their is a way to get the AI buildlist to change based on techtree? I dont think you can, but the stock techtree's that come with the game make enough changes that they may, right?

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:29 pm

A1 has a limitation to four playable races in instant action. That said, you will have to change on of the four core races to the one you want to use.

Of course, there is a work around. For example, I have incorporate 5 races in my personal mod. In it, the Borg have assimilated a transdimensional portal device that allows them to ally themselves with the Shadow. Once the transdimensional portal is acquired, the device spits out a Shadow construction vessel that builds shipyards and the like. The tech trees are modified accordingly to allow this as are the AIP files.

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm

KlingonMage wrote:Yes, it looks like it may be nearly impossible, mabey. I'm not really convinced, but I'm going in another direction for my idea, namily replacing the federation's ship list via techtree.

Anyone know if their is a way to get the AI buildlist to change based on techtree? I dont think you can, but the stock techtree's that come with the game make enough changes that they may, right?
Yea, it is all done manually by hand. :)

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:25 am

Future Tense has six playable races.;)

Feds
Klingons
Rommies
Bord
Remans
Serniax(sp?)

But, like the rest of us you wont know how they did it till after the mod is released.
My Games:
NR2K3(750+ tracks;5000+ cars)
ST:BC(latest KM-custom) ST:Legacy(custom)
ST:Armada(custom) ST:Armada2(custom)
ST:FO(latest version)
SW:EAW(custom) SW:FOC(custom)
TF2: Name - 086gf

KlingonMage
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by KlingonMage » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:47 pm

I dont know, I enjoy the challange of trying to figure it out. It's the fact that FT apparlenty can do it that I know its possible.

That said, I also have limited time, so instead I was mucking around with Tech tree's and build lists.

Now, It looks like the build lists are parsed only 1 time, and once each buildItemX is filled it will ingorne all other instances of BuildItemX, which is dipressing, because it makes it alot harder to replace ships based on selected tech level. I was hoping it was at least partly correlated to techtree's, but really this was a false hope.

Anyone know how to change where the build buttons appear? Like, buildItem0 is always top left cornor, can this be changed? Mabey made such that buildItem say 13 is also top left cornor? I've been mucking around in the GUI_ files, and have checked the header files, but no obvious command to modify. Any of you folks ever tried to do this?

KlingonMage
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by KlingonMage » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:59 pm

Fantastic! Thanks, i'm gonna go muck with that now.

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:17 pm

Would it be possible to relocate the tractor beam button to where the self destruct button is by changing those files or would it be one of the files in the sprites folder that this would be done?
My Games:

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:20 am

There are indeed 6 playable races in FT, but there are 4 slots in instant action. Changing this would require editing of the exe. There is a different mechanism for allowing up to 6 playable races. I'm a bit puzzled as to how this rumour originated :S

The self destruct button location appears to be hard coded into the selfdestruct class label. The odf places the self destruct button at buttonSlot = 0. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work for the other weapons.

Only thing I can suggest is to use the 6th special weapon slot for the tractor beam. A slight adjustment to the special weapon button locations would be necessary as the 6th slot is currently somewhere between the 5th slot and the transporter button.

edit: anyone know what mod it was that figured out how to add the 6th special weapon button? It was released some time ago.
Last edited by MrVulcan on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KlingonMage
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by KlingonMage » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:59 pm

Allright, that all makes sence, I was somewhat supicious as to how FT was dooing 6 races, but I understand how it might work now.

as for my progress on changing a race via tech tree, It looks like it could be done, sorta. You cant add new buttons to the areaBox they use to hold building build buttons and adjusting their positions makes a serious mess of things. Seems that the only real way is to have the tech tree actually change the construction ship your starbase builds, but this isant really was I was after, because dooing that is easy, but it leaves the build menus looking weird.

So, basicially, what i'm saying is that replacing a race, or say, the ships aviable to that race through tech tree is possible, and easy. I cant say I even broke any new ground, but as far as I got, you'de have to come to terms with the build menus looking funny (large black spaces where the unaviable ships are).

Pepperman, how would you rewrite AI to accout for a races buildable ships changing completly, I was wondering were you were going with that?

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:12 pm

KlingonMage wrote:Pepperman, how would you rewrite AI to accout for a races buildable ships changing completly, I was wondering were you were going with that?
You do what I did for my mod, modify the relevent AIP files and rename them to match the tt file that they go with. Put them in a new folder and then when you want to use those particular aip files just move the stock aip files into that folder and move the new tt specific aips into the aip folder and change the names back to stock. And to put the stock files back obviously do the reverse.

EDIT: @ cabal/MrV

Im gonna start a new thread for this.
My Games:

mendez
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by mendez » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:44 am

Ummmm lets see. https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/afc/m ... s&lid=1542
There's this with 18 independent selectable races if I remember correctly. Although I'm having trouble downloading it to check. Keep getting a huge page of weird stuff when I try to download.

Found the zip file hidden in my PC spinning off a copy of A1 for this and testing.

KlingonMage
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by KlingonMage » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:40 pm

Nah, master crossover simply groups each of thoese races into 1 of 4 slots, law, chaos and a couple others. You begin the game with a super construction ship, which you use to build the starbase of the race you desgire to play as, or something like that.

its not a terrible way to do things, it just leaves alota in the hands of the player as far as being able to control only one race goes.

wotw3
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

The workaround - up to 8 races in theory -see limitations

Post by wotw3 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:45 pm

In my Way of the Warrior 2 MOD, I frequently had 5 Races playing on the same map.

Rather than list races from the drop down menu, I have quadrants.

Alpha for Federation or Cardasian
Beta for Klingon
Gamma for Romulan or Dominion
Delta for Borg
(Probably not thier exact locations strictly.)

Then you would select units - Normal or Subraces
Then Tech - Standard or Subraces

Ai must be selected before the game starts (a series of batch files switching card with Romulan or Federation with Cardasian)

Ai can build sub races units from standard starbases (If the Ai files did not match the computer can still build)

So sometimes I had the AI build fed units while I could build Cardasian units. And I had 3 other computers playing rom, borg and klingon.

So in my instant action match I had what appeared to be five races fighting. The only giveaway was the computer had a cardasian starbase in the middle of its federation base

Limitations with this approach
- Shared Gui's
- you have to set AI before you start (and each person must have the exact same if you do multiplayer online)
- Ai can only do 4 at a time, human players can only do 4 at a time
- In theory you can have 8 races playing at the same time with this method, 4 humans and 4 Ai