Need help with A1/A2 model not rendering propperly

The best Modding forum in the Armada community, some of the best modders come here.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Surma
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Need help with A1/A2 model not rendering propperly

Post by Surma » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:56 pm

I just recently got into this modding businesses, and i have a problem.
It doesnt seem like i can upload any pics, but heres the problem:

In game only about half of all the polys are rendered. with storm3d viewer i have found out that it seems as if it actually can render all polys, but only renders half from any given angle. Note that during construction in a shipyard it renders quite nicely.

The second problem is that all the weapons are fired from quite a distance below the craft, instead of where i placed the hardpoints.

Besides this the model works just fine.

Edit: I use MS3D v. 1.8.4
And i just remembered something. When i "installed" the sod exporter, in the downloaded zip i just got a bunch of .dll's that i put in the main directory, but there were already two with the same name, and the downloaded ones were smaller. It seems obvious now that this is the problem, but how can i then do a correct install of the plugin? i have found no manuals as to how to install.
The uncopied files are devil.dll and ilu.dll they are smaller, have the same company label (Abysmal Software) and are of an earlier file version. You think it would be safe to replace them?

SquireJames
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by SquireJames » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Email me the model (squirejames_5 at hotmail.com) and i'll take a look. It sounds as if you have some mesh node and HP node issues.

Surma
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Surma » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:31 am

its away

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 am

Not sure why half wouldn't render, but weapons firing from a position quite below the ship would mean that the hardpoints are shifted downwards as relative to the ship's root point. If the root of the ship itself is also shifted downwards, the ship's physics would 'look' funky in-game (meaning it'd be moving at a center of physics far below the ship, it would seem to twirl sort of like a top). If that part isn't happening, then it's not the root node, but instead the HP nodes that aren't where they should be.

SquireJames
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by SquireJames » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:24 am

Greetings Elrond :) Nice to see you again.

I solved the problem I think. As both you and I suspected Elrond, twas nodes not being dead centre that were causing his hardpoint woes. As for the not rendering, he had some flipped faces that were causing issues. Fixed those and sent the model back with instructions on how to fix the Hps.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:09 pm

SquireJames wrote:Greetings Elrond :) Nice to see you again.

I solved the problem I think. As both you and I suspected Elrond, twas nodes not being dead centre that were causing his hardpoint woes. As for the not rendering, he had some flipped faces that were causing issues. Fixed those and sent the model back with instructions on how to fix the Hps.
Ah,ok, I think I've encountered those issues each twice before. Yeah, one side of a poly is transparent normally, and the other is the side with the applied texture. So that can happen when you're attempting to rotate, then invert anything.

And welcome back to you Squire! It's been a long time!
At the end of the river, the sundown beams. All the relics of a life long-lived. Here, weary traveler, rest your wand. Sleep the journey from your eyes.

SquireJames
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by SquireJames » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:45 am

Aye, sometimes polygons can be tricky critters.

Indeed it's been too long. But well I know you know why, and you know I know you know why (if that makes sense) so, yeah :)

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Yes, and depending, the inversion (backward-forward, bottom-top, or left-right) or rotation of a group of polygons may result in the inner surface (the texture 'leeward' side as I call it) of a polygon being visible on the outside. One side opaque or semi-translucent depending on the texture, and the other side completely transparent. Complete inversion is usually the only way to fix this. If, however, there is no symmetry in the area you wish to fix, then it may require somewhat...difficult combinations of rotation, plus reconnection to the remainder of the model later on.

The worst I ever got in terms of this was a completely-transparent ship altogether. Only thing I had to do was select all vertices and invert, then select ALL and invert, seemed to work out that way for the oddest reasons. I'm sure this would be covered on a class called, "Theories of 3D Modeling Programs".
At the end of the river, the sundown beams. All the relics of a life long-lived. Here, weary traveler, rest your wand. Sleep the journey from your eyes.

Surma
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Surma » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:16 am

It works fine now :)